Newbie help needed

Fifty
Fifty Posts: 3
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi,

Newbie here, after some help.

Having not owned a bike for around 15 years, I've decided that my fitness levels need a bit of help so I want to start commuting to work (a 6 mile round trip). Mostly on roads, and maybe a bit of cycling at weekends - again mainly on roads.

Dont have a huge budget, but saw a Giant Rincon in my local cycle shop for £300. I've subsequently found it for £240 delivered online from a retailer who's name currently escapes me.

Question is - is this bike any good? What do I need to be on the lookout for - suspension, certain wheels, disk brakes etc?

Thanks for your time, and help.

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    I'll be the first to jump in and say that yo shouldn't really need suspension for commuting unless you are going cross country. It's just extra weight and maintenance for very little benefit when riding on the road. On the other hand, I hear disc brakes are very good for a commuter bike, especially in the winter/wet days. Rim brakes (V, cantis or normal 'road' brakes) are fine though for most things, but if you are doing a lot of winter miles, the pads will wear out fairly quickly and the wheel rims will wear as well.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    I wouldn't go for suspension if you're only using it on the road. The manufacturer will have to scrimp elsewhere in order to give you suspension, and you just don't need it for roads (in fact it'll slow you down). I probably wouldn't go for disk brakes either, because I don't think they can be particularly good quality at that price (not sure though).

For 3 miles each way, more or less any bike will suffice. I hate to say it, but some of Halfords' bikes (the Carrera range) are really pretty good at the 250 quid price point. Halfords are apparently variable for the quality of workmanship in setting up the bike.

If you are looking to use it off road, then you need to think about how "off road" you're going to go. Many bikes will cope fine with towpath/hard-packed trail-type stuff. So, how off-road will you go?

Edit: disk brake qualification
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    To be honest - looks a bit cr@p. If you're going to be on road, go for no suspension, 700c wheels (not mountain bike 26 inch) and near-slick tyres (not mountain bike knobblies).

That bike will be too heavy; the suspension will sap your effort in bouncing up and down (it'll be cheap and basically a heavy spring for that price); and the big knobbly tyres will stop you rolling freely on tarmac.

Your best bet would be aiming for a £300 hybrid with rigid front forks. You should be able to take that on canal-path-style rough surfaces too.

Also, it's worth getting it from a local shop too. Buying online will mean you have to assemble parts of it and you'll loose the manufacturers warranty in doing that. the local shop will also set it up properly and give you a free check up in a month or two too.
  • Hi there,

The fact that almost all of your cycling will be 'on-road' should probably make you think of something a bit more road-specific than a mountain bike. Mountain bikes are slow on the road, and you will be overtaken by almost everyone. Personally I like proper road bikes, as I hate to be overtaken by anyone.

Look at hybrids if you prefer flat handlebars, still not fast, but the will make your commute a lot less effort than a mountain bike.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My first commuter was a Rincon and one of my first mods was rigid front forks to reduce the bike weight by over 1Kg!

There are lots of resaonably priced flat bar (if that is what you want) commuter capable hybrids out there, 700C wheels are not a must, both my commuters have been on 26" wheels so I can run slightly fatter/softer tyres to provide a bit of 'give' through the worst potholes.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • emdeef
    emdeef Posts: 98
    I commute on a Giant Terrago with front suspension, but only because part of my route is over an unfinished bridlepath on chalk and it helps for this. As others have said, I would go for the lightest bike you can find that you are comfortable with - you will really notice the difference to begin with, particularly if you have hills on your route.
  • FWIW I'm looking at the Decathlon/btwin Vitamin for my 11 mile round-trip as my 4yo BSO is finally falling to bits.
    Seriously, no-nonsense for no cash at all.
    Must be worth a look.
    Happy riding!
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • fastbatard
    fastbatard Posts: 137
    FWIW I'm looking at the Decathlon/btwin Vitamin for my 11 mile round-trip as my 4yo BSO is finally falling to bits.
    Seriously, no-nonsense for no cash at all.
    Must be worth a look.
    Happy riding!

I got one of these a couple of months ago for knocking about on and towing my little girl in her trailer round country parks etc. It really is great fun to ride and I enjoy the simplicity of the single speed. Not sure I'd fancy riding it on my 12 mile commute though, for that I use my road bike.
    For £70 for the vitamin you really can't go wrong, every home should have one!
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Something like this would be better:

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLq ... 372c012370

Check out the other Revolution Couriers for 700c wheels, disks etc. but the standard version is a very good bike for £250.
  • Fifty
    Fifty Posts: 3
    Thank you all for your help - certainly know your stuff and have helped me no end.

I would have been drawn into looking at suspension and all the other things that sound like they're not needed.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not on the road, but what is key is getting the right bike FOR YOU and for YOUR commute, I know a lot of people on here like dropped bars and skinny 700c tyres, well my commute is across country roads, 26x1.3 is jarring enough in places, 700C is dreadful (a work colleague uses the same road on his training route and he says he has to slow down on some bits as they are too uncomfortable, I don't have to).....

I started on a Rincon, shed a little weight and lost the suspension (I have some short sharp climbs on my route where weight is a real killer)), then using lesson's learnt built a new commuter to suite what I'd found.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.