Anthony Maynard sportive

fridgeboy
fridgeboy Posts: 37
Many congratulations to Reading CC for their organisation of an absolutley FIRST CLASS event yesterday. Impeccable sign-posting, an army of volunteers posted arpound the course at tricky road junctions, and feed stations in the correct places with ample stocks of the advertised drinks and food. Add to that an interesting and challenging course (120m) passing through spectacular countryside over mainly quiet roads, and you have, in my view, a perfect day out. Results were available on computer screens within seconds of handing in your timing chip in the event centre, and a massage facility was available for those with tired muscles. There were also ample post-event refreshments available for those that needed them.

Comparing this event to those organised by commercial operators is like comparing chalk and cheese. This event should be the first on your calendar for 2011.

And if Anthony Maynard was watching yesterday, I guess he would have felt VERY PROUD.

Comments

• Brakeless
    Brakeless Posts: 865
    I did it last year and this and I'd agree 100% with what you've said, next year will definately be my third year.
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Glad you all enjoyed it - I'm not on the organising committee, but I can tell you that given the circumstances that caused this sportive to come into being, it's not surprising that everyone involved approached this from the angle of wanting to put on a ride for the love of riding - as was Anton's passion, and not to make money. It's immensely pleasing to see that others have enjoyed it too.

Fridgeboy - your message has already been picked up and emailed round the club, so your thanks will reach those who put in all the effort.

Brakeless - hope to see you next year too!

Many thanks,

Tom
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • Brakeless
    Brakeless Posts: 865
    Do you know who was taking the photos, can't find it on the website!
  • TommyEss
    No - but I'll see what I can find out and get back to you.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • TommyEss
    It was Guy Swarbrick - first 200 or so images already online

The other 1400 to follow!!
  • planetzed
    planetzed Posts: 36
    The Anthony Maynard is by far the most sociable of all the sportives I have attended- a fantastic route, excellent hospitality and fantastic feed stops at the right intervals put many of the commercial ventures to shame (Trailbreak- one slice of fruit and piece of flapjack??)

Slight problem with signage before 2nd feed on short route meant I failed to get a time (silver last year) but everything else more than compensated. I'll be back next year for sure.
  • chrisba
    chrisba Posts: 91
    This was my first ever sportive, so I have nothing to compare it with, but I thought the whole event was very well organised and extremely enjoyable.

Thanks to all concerned, and I'll be back next year for more ( long course next time )