Do those London cycle scheme bikes have strong front wheels?

rml380z
rml380z Posts: 244
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
I have finally spotted two of the cycle scheme bikes in the wild; at the docking points on Southwark Street, behind Tate Modern. They look pretty solid and well-built. I watched a couple of kids get on and off them while they were still in the racks, so I hope those front wheels are strong enough to support the weight of a person and the bike when they are in the docking stations.

A couple of points sprang to mind as I gave them a brief once-over;
I wonder how often they will get maintained?
I didn't see a pump at the docking stations, so I bet you'll still need to carry one unless you're happy with semi-flat tyres.
The seat-clamp is only secured to the frame by a small allen-bolt. I can see a number of those clamps (or just the quick-release levers) disappearing.

Comments

• Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    In Barcelona I have seen bike trucks carting bikes around and taking them off for maintanence quite a lot. Apparently the problem in Barcelona is that the bikes all end up at the bottom of steep hills as people get a bike at the top, ride it down, dock it and go but no one rides them back up. Same problem at the beach in summer. People ride the bikes to the beach so there are never enough docking places for all the bikes people take there. Then the trucks have to come round and take a few back up to the top of the hills.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    edited July 2010
    Serco are doing the maintenance. you press a button on the dock and the bike is put out of order untill someone comes and looks at it.
    The bikes certainly are strong, the wheel is a beast and there is some securing by the headset/headtube to make it harder to break (this makes the turning circle larger)
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    gaz545 wrote:
    Serco are doing the maintenance. you press a button on the dock and the bike is put out of order untill someone comes and looks at it.
    The bikes certainly are strong, the wheel is a beast and there is some securing by the headset/headtube to make it harder to brake (this makes the turning circle larger)

:shock: Surely you mean " harder to break"?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • gaz545
    rjsterry wrote:
    gaz545 wrote:
    The bikes certainly are strong, the wheel is a beast and there is some securing by the headset/headtube to make it harder to brake (this makes the turning circle larger)

Dyslexia, forgive me
  • rjsterry
    gaz545 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    gaz545 wrote:

Dyslexia, forgive me

What you first typed sounds much more fun :wink:
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rml380z wrote:
    A couple of points sprang to mind as I gave them a brief once-over;
    I wonder how often they will get maintained?
    I didn't see a pump at the docking stations, so I bet you'll still need to carry one unless you're happy with semi-flat tyres.
    The seat-clamp is only secured to the frame by a small allen-bolt. I can see a number of those clamps (or just the quick-release levers) disappearing.

I think the OP is being a bit negative. As gaz545 wrote - you just press a red button which flags the bike needs maintenance - so flattish tyres will get pumped up if need be. I would guess that, when the maintenance team attends a more major repair, they take a few moments to check the tyre pressures on the other bikes at that docking station (if not then they should).

And the quick release levers for the seats - only easy way of adjusting the seat height without recourse to tools. And I'd imagine sorting out the seat height is the first thing someone hiring one would do. I'm sure there will be some theft/vandalism issues - far too many chavs in London to think we could escape that - but no more so than for privately-owned bikes - you'd only need a multitool to strip an awful lot of stuff off most bikes.

I had a pedal on one of the new BCH bikes at Lambeth Country Show on Sunday (one of the few places you will ever see a Rastafarian watching sheep dog trials). It's heavy but I'd be more than happy to use one for a short trip around town. Seems a reasonably well thought-out plan.
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    So, I've used (and am a big fan of) the Vélib scheme in Paris - will this work in the same way, ie you buy a pass or register online and pay as you go with a hefty credit card deposit to avoid theft? Can you pay using Oyster? Is the first half-hour free? Can you cancel the 'out of order' thing on the dock? Does the bike have a pannier/similar? How big is the basket?

I have such questions. I'm really quite excited about it. :D
  • Headhuunter
    In Barcelona I think you have to be a resident of the city to use the bikes
  • lost_in_thought

Well, I managed to use them when I was there for a 4-day trip. My friend who habla espanol did the linguistic bit though. I was no use at all.
  • Headhuunter

Well, I managed to use them when I was there for a 4-day trip. My friend who habla espanol did the linguistic bit though. I was no use at all.

Really? OK, we were told that you had to be resident, however that was information from a Japanese friend who lives in Sitges on the coast a 45 minute train ride from Barca
  • lost_in_thought

Really? OK, we were told that you had to be resident, however that was information from a Japanese friend who lives in Sitges on the coast a 45 minute train ride from Barca

I think she gave the address of our hotel as our 'address'. That may have helped, but there did seem to be other people on them who looked equally lost! They're a great way to get around, as long as you don't try to go to the Gaudi park... damn stupid hill...
  • Headhuunter

I think she gave the address of our hotel as our 'address'. That may have helped, but there did seem to be other people on them who looked equally lost! They're a great way to get around, as long as you don't try to go to the Gaudi park... damn stupid hill...

Yeah I can't imagine riding a heavyweight bike scheme bike up a hill in Barcelona in full summer heat....
  • gaz545
    I got some photos and a video of the bike lit. I will put them here later on.
    I also have some information as to how it will work that I shall also post later on.

Most of the info and images I have are at home and typing out detailed information on an iPhone isn't easy
  • Oyster - no, not yet, sadly. that would have been the sensible integrated answer but it apparently wasn't possible in the timescale given to implement the scheme.

The first half hour is free. I think there is a five to ten minute gap between the first half hour and when you can undock another bike for your next free 30 mins.

You cannot cancel the out of order button - but Serco are expected to regularly ensure that bikes are in sufficient number at each docking station so it should not be a problem.

No pannier - just a biggish basket at the front, suitable for a brief case or back pack.
    So, I've used (and am a big fan of) the Vélib scheme in Paris - will this work in the same way, ie you buy a pass or register online and pay as you go with a hefty credit card deposit to avoid theft? Can you pay using Oyster? Is the first half-hour free? Can you cancel the 'out of order' thing on the dock? Does the bike have a pannier/similar? How big is the basket?

I have such questions. I'm really quite excited about it. :D
    Pain is only weakness leaving the body
  • rich_e
    rich_e Posts: 389
    One thing to point out, that I saw reported on the news last night is that they have decided for the time being to make it a members only scheme. So it's not available to everyone to just turn up and pickup a bike if you aren't already a member.

You cannot cancel the out of order button - but Serco are expected to regularly ensure that bikes are in sufficient number at each docking station so it should not be a problem.

Now this more than anything looks like the kind of thing that may be open to abuse from kids and other idiots. If somebody comes along and decides to press the button to make them all out of order, then nobody can use them!

Only way to counter it would be if only members are able to put a bike out of order... maybe this is the case already?

Also, I assume they've designed the system so that Serco knows where bikes are out of order from a control room. Presumably then if all the bikes are out of order at one place, then they can dispatch somebody there quickly.

Finally, I don't see any details yet of where the Docking Stations are, as that would play a part in how likely they are to be 'interfered' with.
  • lost_in_thought
    Rich_E wrote:

Now this more than anything looks like the kind of thing that may be open to abuse from kids and other idiots. If somebody comes along and decides to press the button to make them all out of order, then nobody can use them!

That was exactly my thinking!
  • gaz545
    I'm going to test how quickly serco fix something. Going to rent a bike, take it around the corner, take some air out the front tyre. Dock it back and sit and wait.
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    My main issue with it is that you have to ride round on a bike with BARCLAYS in huge writing over the back wheel
    <a>road</a>
  • klirk
    klirk Posts: 13
    http://www.bicing.cat/home/home.php
    Information of Barcelona bikes. Only in Spanish or Catalan though. They don't have much information in English as they do not want other than residents to use the bikes.
    I was a member for two years before I got tired of the shifting quality of the bikes and the occasional lack of maintenance.
    Bought myself a proper bike instead.

At least in Barcelona they keep it going. All in all I am happy with the service.
    Stockholm had the same program going on (same system, same provider), but cancelled due to repeated vandalism if I am rightly informed.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Aww crap - I'm in London this weekend - and the scheme doesnt start til next week.
  • I've got a handy little leaflet with lots of info about the scheme - got it from the BCH stall at Lambeth Country Show at the weekend. The leaflet includes a map of all the docking stations - there are loads of them in central London. (One right by Condor and a couple near my office - handy for dropping the bike in for a service without having to fanny around catching a bus to the office from Condor and back to Condor later that day.)

You don't have to be a "Member" - that's £45 for an annual pass. If you are a more occasional user then you buy access as and when as an "Occasional/Casual User". Each docking station has a "ticket machine" that accepts credit cards only - so you pay £1 for each day of access - as long as your rides during the day are no longer than 30 mins each then there are no further costs. And you can have an unlimited number of rides. If you are a Member then you get a little tag-like key which you just insert to get access each ride.

Not clear about the potential problems with the red button thingy - maybe you can only indicate it as out of order if the bike has just been inserted back in the rack?

I don't remember seeing any baskets - but the leaflet definitely refers to baskets (as it advises not to carry animals in the basket).

There are penalty charges for things such as not returning the bike.
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • rich_e
    rich_e Posts: 389
    You don't have to be a "Member" - that's £45 for an annual pass.

While the eventual plan is that you don't have to be, like I said before, the BBC News report said that unfortunately for the immediate time being, it would only be available to people who are members, which was met with some annoyance.
  • Pretty sure that's not true. Have you got this from anywhere other than (and more reliable than) the BBC?

The one I tested out at the weekend had a clear slot where you could put in your credit card to pay. The leaflet I've got is pretty clear that you can pay daily. The (very attractive, as it happens) girls I spoke to at the BCH* stand were also pretty clear that you can pay daily. Nothing I've seen says that you have to be an annual Member at the start.

Also, a quick look at what should be the definitive source, TfL doesn't mention anything about this restriction either

* odds on these bikes becoming known as BitCHes?
  • rjsterry
    There was a TfL representative confirming this on the BBC news either last night or this morning (can't remember which). He explained it as a sort of test period to iron out any teething problems.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• A bit sneaky that the BCH girls didn't mention that at the weekend. Seems a good way of making it a bit of a damp squib from the start - I can't see many people paying £45 until they think they will use it regularly.
  • lost_in_thought
    I'd pay £45 right now.

Oh and the Beeb are pretty reliable, unlike certain other news people, they (I'm told) have to have a story from 3 independent sources.

I'd trust them over, say, Sky.
  • arnosgrove
    arnosgrove Posts: 10
    I had a good time on the Montreal version of this scheme a few weeks back. There were a few moans in the local press about bikes being in the wrong places, but I didn't have any problems finding a bike or docking it at the end of the 30 min free period.

There was one particular docking station where the 3 bikes left had all had their tyres cut - but the area did look like something off The Wire, so perhaps not surprising. The biggest problem I noticed was the large number of broken seatpost adjustment levers - which sometimes meant that you looked like Vic Reeves riding around on that child's tricycle (as he does from time to time).

I asked someone the very same red button question and was told that the button only locked and reported if it was pressed by someone who had already requested and used a unlock code for that bike - of course, this might not be the same in London.

Hope this member business doesn't last too long. I'm an infrequent visitor to London but was quite looking forward to a quick go on my next visit.