What tires do you guys run?

Komodo64
Komodo64 Posts: 25
edited July 2010 in MTB beginners
Hey guys, i need some tires for trail/some street riding...There are sooooo many tires out there to choose from that i just dont know which ones to get.....Anything from the 26 x 2.5- 26 x 2.7 post pics of your tires and sizes that you guys run...

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    2.5 Maxxis on the DH rig.
    2.4 schwalbe NN/RR on the SS XC bike.
    2.1 schwalbe NN on the fully XC
    2.35 schwalbe fat Alberts on the FR light
    for the street/park bike 2.2 twinrails

the bigerst are some Nokian 2.6 on the mad bike.

for trail and street you want different tyres and not that wide really.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Komodo64
    Komodo64 Posts: 25
    yeah i think im going for some smaller tires...where do you buy your tires and also what is the cheapest place i can get them?

Thank You
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    www.nextdaytyres.com

As Nick says you will need different tyres for trail/street although providing it stays dry you could get away with some Kenda SB8s.
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    I have the stock Maxxis Crossmark's (26x2.1) on my Anthem and am finding them very good offroad and they roll pretty well on the road too.

Am considering some Maxxis Highroller SS also http://www.maxxis.com/Bicycle/Mountain/High-Roller-SS.aspx as they look very similar to some Panaracer's that I used to love.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    2.1 Fire XC Pro on the HT
    2.3 Maxxis Ardent front and 2.3(?) Spec Eskar Pro rear on the FS
  • neninja
    neninja Posts: 424
    2.25 NN evo front/2.1 RaRa rear on the Anthem X in the recent weather - used Dirty Dan 2.0 earlier in the year when it was muddier - this rain keeps up and I'll be putting one back on the rear.

Got Kenda 2.1 Excavator on the Teocali
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    2.1 Schwalbe Nobby Nic on the Anthem... seem very good both off road and on (though much too expensive for use as a road tyre).

Just ordered some Kenda Nevegals 2.1 from OnOne for another bike... I'll be interested to see what these are like.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • partyboy1101
    partyboy1101 Posts: 110
    I run the following on my Zesty:

2.2 Cont Race Kings back and front for road and fast trail.

2.5 Maxxis High Rollers front and back for stupid stuff and mucking about.

Maxxis front and Conti back for long rides incorporating silly stuff

2.35 Maxxis Swamp things for wet weather
    Currently riding - Lapierre Zesty 314, as yet without any bling

New toy - Diamondback Mojito, SS rigid 29er

RIP 2007 Cube Acid - Stolen by pikeys
  • vengeance111
    vengeance111 Posts: 137
    continental vertical 26x2.3
  • joec1
    joec1 Posts: 494
    Specialized Eskars for me.
    www.settingascene.com - MTBing in Wilts and the southwest, join up for info and ride details.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    2.0 Mountain Kings, bloody awful in the dry but work an absolute dream in the wet... and afterall we live in britain so it makes sense haha
  • Luke-Dob
    Luke-Dob Posts: 121
    Minion 2.5 front with a High Roller 2.5 rear. All In super tacky.
    Back up set are Conti Diesels and Diggas, again in 2.5's.
    Mud set are 2.1 Wetscreams in 40a and a 2.5 Swampthing in super tacky.
    "If I Was Falling, YOU BETTER FREAKING CATCH ME!!!"
    6 years riding bikes, 8 broken bones, gravity can be a b**ch
    http://dobby.pinkbike.com/album/My-Bikes-D/
  • yt_
    yt_ Posts: 20
    continental vertical 26x2.3

Same! I just got mine the other day from Amazon. So far so good but they haven't had a good working yet.

They're on my DMR which I wanted more street/dirt jump tyres but ended up getting these instead as when we go out to the quarry's/woods etc, they are needed more really.
  • between high roller 2.35 and continental speed king 2.3s and havent really notcied masses of differences on the road,

havent done and hardcore off road on the contis yet so now sure about them, but the HRs were really good, and when the rear got bad ( i ripped up some of the blocks) i just swapped them over (front to rear, rear to front) and it was back good as new
  • yt_
    yt_ Posts: 20
    I regret buying my Verticals now as I do more urban assault and gentle trails then I do on rough off road terrain, but they was cheaper then most of the others I was looking at (£24 the pair).

I'm in the process of not knowing what I prefer to do on my bike, I've always had mountain bikes which are used as commuters and the regular blast through the local quarries and had big knobblys on them, but now I have just bought a DMR (see sig) and I'm not sure about its main purpose LOL. Its a jump bike and I like jumping, but we have no decent jumps around here, I like urban assault/street but now I have the wrong tyres :(

Can someone recommend an all rounder for me. Budget as well as I don't like spending too much on tyres if I can help it.
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    Kenda Nevegals from On One. Not brilliant at anything but very competent and not bad at anything. At £15 a pop they are an absolute bargain IMO. Just fit and forget :wink:

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/TYKENE/kenda-nevegal-folding-mtb-tyre
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    Conti Speed Kings 2.3

Not really had a chance to try them out on the trails, but they seem to grip pretty well on the road when it's wazzing it down, and they grip well on dry bridlepaths. Side walls seem pretty tough as there's not a scratch on them from when I got both wheels jammed in a crack in the road.
  • thedirge
    thedirge Posts: 181
    crossmarks
    Consequences.... are just a harmless by-product of having a good time, all the time.

Thinking about things isn't the same as doing things. Otherwise everybody would be in jail.
  • mudsucker
    mudsucker Posts: 730
    Panaracer Fire XC 2.1 both ends on my stumy FSR. Seem like a good all rounder.
    Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
    2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • big_barker
    big_barker Posts: 526
    Maxxis high rollers 2.1 lust 60a front and back in my cannondale carbon rsh
  • tilt
    tilt Posts: 214
    mudsucker wrote:
    Panaracer Fire XC 2.1 both ends on my stumy FSR. Seem like a good all rounder.

Same, really like them too.
  • switching between maxxis high rollers and continental speed kings. both are 2.3s, havent really noticed any difference on the road, and havent had time to take them off road as yet
  • booldawg
    booldawg Posts: 290
    Conti Mountain King 2.2 - alot of deep sand around where I ride and they seem to cut through it quite well.
    1999 Scott Vail - Work commute
    2015 Giant Anthem 27.5 SX - Weekend riding

East Hants MTB on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/288056017965343/
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Rampage 2.3 up front and razer mx pr on the rear, drop in another rampage 2.1 for the wet and trailrakers if it gets really really really gloopy.