Exploring Equality in Sweden

haconb
haconb Posts: 4
edited July 2010 in Tour & expedition
Me and a friend are making a documentary about what it's like to live in a more equal society, on bikes, through Sweden. Do you guys have any advice re the website and generally about Sweden?

http://www.exploringequality.tk

thanks

Comments

• Weejie54
    Weejie54 Posts: 750
    Make sure you visit remote rural areas as well as the big cities.
    There are marked differences in traditions.
    I see from your proposed route that you are heading quite far north. If you made it up to the mining areas in Norrbotten it might prove useful.

Lycka till!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Mmm Equality.

you have read Animal Farm?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • tebbit
    tebbit Posts: 604
    Is that the same place they were experimenting with eugenics up to the 1970s, I remember seeing the police there beating the tar out of some street drinkers in the early eighties, very nice place on the surface, pretty murky underneath. People can be very nice though, go at the wrong time of year and the midges will eat you alive.

Scenery stunning, lakes fantastic and lack of built up areas over large parts of the country amazing, I don't know if they still have sign posts detailing distances in Swedish miles, a lot further than an English mile.

Have fun the place is absolutely beautiful.
  • haconb
    haconb Posts: 4
    Weejie54 wrote:
    Make sure you visit remote rural areas as well as the big cities.
    There are marked differences in traditions.
    I see from your proposed route that you are heading quite far north. If you made it up to the mining areas in Norrbotten it might prove useful.

Lycka till!

This has been recommended to us several times now. However, a lack of time and the fact that many trains do not allow bikes will limit how far north we can go... Is Norrbotten of particular interest for any reason?

By the way we are also on twitterand facebookif you're interested!
  • Weejie54
    Weejie54 Posts: 750
    Is Norrbotten of particular interest for any reason?

Mainly because of its mining heritage and also the Sami population, among others. It would contrast somewhat in its traditions compared to more affluent regions. I would reckon that it would help give a balance to any research into Swedish culture.
  • weeve
    weeve Posts: 393
    english news and forum in sweden is

www.thelocal.se

you'll find it useful ...and yes the people on the right in the pictures dancing around in clubs in stockholm do look like that :) ..but only there.... Elsewhere life is more "usual". Having had a swedish Mrs for the past 7 years I could possibly venture that filming "more equality" in sweden is somewhat challenging if you dont have an anthropology degree in the nuances of swedish life...but what do I know...have fun :)
  • weeve
    weeve Posts: 393
    ps a swedish mile (actually mil not mile is 10km. Road signs are all usal km's