"Value" road shoe for commuting

chipolopolo
chipolopolo Posts: 8
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi y'All-

been lurking on this forum since early 08 when fast hybrids were in vogue here and I bought a Spesh Sirrus Comp and have thrashed it on the commute for the past couple of years.Stuck spd's on it and tried to pimp the ride by flipping the stem etc but felt I was missing out so recently succumbed to the road revolution and got myself a Condor Italia and some shiny white Shimano R190 shoes which have seriously improved the commute and jaunts around Richmond Park. Loving the change.

However the stop-start is def taking it's toll on my unclipping shoe and am now after a value/cheap pair og spd-sl shoes to use on the commute so I don't destroy the R190's.

Have read stuff on here about Aldi/Lidl and signed up to their newsletters but any other suggestions, budget around 50 quid tops I guess.

Cheers.

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Check out the dhbs on Wiggle

If you get the dhb MTB SPD shoes, and the Shimano M520 pedals, that should weigh in around £60-70. The MTB option is good for the commute - less wear on the cleats and soles. (I commute through RP into town.)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    SPD are easily the best to get in and out of. perfect for commutes which feature endless amount of traffic lights on!
  • cheers for the advice guys, I've already got M520 pedals and shoes for the Sirrus but don't fancy swapping pedals on the Condor so looking for another road shoe for the commute. Personally finding the spd-sl's as easy as the spd's to get in/out.
  • Fixxxer87
    Fixxxer87 Posts: 45
    Probably not what you want to hear, but...

...Increase your budget. Even if it means waiting a month or so before getting them. What you pay extra now will save you money because of better performance and more importantly durability.

The very least you'd want to look at is £60 - £70 for a decent pair:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... 0-ec019531

although I recommend the Shimano R086 (£80).

In my experience, you get what you pay for. The other option of course is to try and be lucky with the sales.
    || Commuter: Specialized Langster 2010 [FCN 4] ||| Offroad: Specialized Hardrock Comp 2009 ||
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    if you've got a Decathlon near you have a gander there, their stuff is reasonably priced and I've always found it to be decent quality.
  • SkidMerckx
    SkidMerckx Posts: 72
    +1 for Decathlon.

I have their (old style) Rockrider 8's and have used them for my daily commute for 2 years now and used them on the old MTB for a couple of years before that. Still going strong and OK for walking in too!
  • Catfish
    Catfish Posts: 141
    +1 for DHB mtb shoes.
  • +1 for Decathlon.

cheers, will check out Decathlon, their website sucks so can't see their offering online.
    +1 for DHB mtb shoes.

I've got a road pedal so no good.

Cheers
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    Err, dhb road shoes? I hear they are pretty good, particularly for the price.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • navt
    navt Posts: 374
    dhb R1's + Shimano A520 SPDs.

Oh, and you'll need floats if your plan to any amount of walking in them.
  • I have the DHB R1s, I found them to be absolutely lethal when used with regular SPD cleats. They're also have quite hard, plastic soles and seem to wear down pretty quickly.

I also have some Specialized BG Sport road shoes, they are a little bit over your budget, but they have rubber bits which take the wear better. I'd say they're worth the extra.