Is it "Denny" or "Denis" Menchov?

AndyRubio
AndyRubio Posts: 880
edited July 2010 in Pro race
He's Russian not French so I suspect it's "Denis" but I'm aware that Phil and Paul use "Denny".

They're in the biz so I suspect they know stuff I don't - stuff like the correct pronounciatin of riders' names.

OTOH they're a pair of c*nts so maybe "Denis" is correct.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I thought it was Denise. 8)
  • Abdoujaparov
    Abdoujaparov Posts: 642
    Denzel
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    AndyRubio wrote:
    They're in the biz so I suspect they know stuff I don't - stuff like the correct pronounciatin of riders' names.
    Thoughts?

Really Leekygas correct? Hah!
    'i' in Italian is like a long eee and qui is kwee NOT kee as in French (quiche) so really is should be Leekwegas.

(Thanks Paul that's ok Phil. Why oh why do they have to keep saying each other's names surely they know who each other is by now!)
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Denis says Denis (rhymes with tennis)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Anyone for 'Dennis'?

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • Birillo
    Birillo Posts: 417
    They're in the biz so I suspect they know stuff I don't - stuff like the correct pronounciatin of riders' names

Really? Like Mario Aerts pronounced as "Uhrts" (Sherwen) or "Airts" (Ligget)? Anything but "Arrts" (as Mario would say) .
  • AndyRubio
    They're not as pbad as that old codger Hugh Porter who doesn't even attempt to pronounced foreign names correctly.

I'm a fan of David Harman but it irks me when he pronounced 'Stijn' (as in Devolder) as 'stine' and not 'sten'.

I need to get a life.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Den-ees. "Den" as in where a fox lives and "ees" ryhmes with geese. You stress the last syllable as well, not the first like you do in English. Now you know.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Was watching the golf earlier (I know, don't shun me) and the sheer amount of different ways I heard Oosthuizen pronounced was quite incredible.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Mmmmm, watching golf were you? That's an euphemism for "I'm getting old, I've had a hard week and I just need a little nap on the sofa without having to talk to you, or Do Things in the garden". Tell me, was there a cat involved in this golf-watching? There usually is.

It's a condition that affects only men (women will iron, knit or read whilst watching tv because we can multi-task) of a certain age, and you must cease it immediately, Mr afx, before you will grow a middle aged spread overnight and start thinking that the Pringle jumper your auntie bought you for Christmas 2005 is actually rather fetching on you.

If you find yourself also thinking that the Lakeland catalogue is interesting, (a secondary symptom of Golf Watching Syndrome) you're doomed.
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    Little Prince?
    Le Petit Prince?
    Il Piccolo Principe?!

Cracks me up whenever Cunego animates the race and they seem to effortlessly refer to him as Petit Prince, as in, "...Ballan has put in a big attack, but there is a swift response from the Petit Prince..."

My wife actually thought he was talking about a French rider called Petit-Prince! When I explained the sad truth, she immediately condemned both Phil/Paul as morons. That's as close to an objective view as I've found on this forum!
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    I like "Micky" Rogers, "Bernie" Eisel and "Georgy" Hincapie. "Andy" Schleck I will allow, as it's his name
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    I like it.
    Davy Millar, Lancy Armstrong, Bobby Gessink................
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Didn't Phil blather-on about 'Vinurokov' the other day...

And as for Paul's 'Caisse d'Eparn-yuh'...
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    AndyRubio wrote:
    He's Russian not French so I suspect it's "Denis" but I'm aware that Phil and Paul use "Denny".

OTOH they're a pair of c*nts so maybe "Denis" is correct.

Thoughts?

They also say "Leakygas" for liquigas, and I don't think BP bought them. ;)
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    on an earlier stage, they were talking about the "Paree - Brussels" race.
    C'mon, "Paree - Brooksell" or "Paris- Brussels" :roll:
  • dave milne
    dave milne Posts: 703
    I asked a russian speaker at work and phil and paul are wrong.

got very annoyed by a bbc sports presenter saying vee-no-ko-rov
  • Birillo
    Birillo Posts: 417
    I'm a fan of David Harman but it irks me when he pronounced 'Stijn' (as in Devolder) as 'stine' and not 'sten'.

Actually, Harmon's correct.
  • luckao
    luckao Posts: 632
    Munchov or Menchov? The former if you're Stephen Roche, the latter if you're not.
  • AndyRubio
    Birillo wrote:
    You sure about that? Am happy to be proven wrong but my Dutch chums says it's 'sten'. Same as Kortrijk is pronounced 'Kortrek'

Hmmm Wikipedia says different again: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia: ... _Afrikaans which would make it 'Stayn' Devolder.

OK I give up, whatever. Bedways.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Your mates are Dutch and Devolder's Belgian. That's like asking a Scot to pronounce "Auld Trafford" :wink:

It's Stijn rhymes with... rhyme. Remember to roll the "r" on Devolder.
  • cooper.michael1
    cooper.michael1 Posts: 1,787
    Ligget i'm sure has a deal with Easton.

'theres the former world champion ballan, attacking on BMC Easton wheels"

...he's mentioned those wheels on about 5 separate occasions.
  • zippypablo
    zippypablo Posts: 398
    AndyRubio wrote:
    Birillo wrote:
    You sure about that? Am happy to be proven wrong but my Dutch chums says it's 'sten'. Same as Kortrijk is pronounced 'Kortrek'

Hmmm Wikipedia says different again: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia: ... _Afrikaans which would make it 'Stayn' Devolder.

OK I give up, whatever. Bedways.
    David Harmon makes a point of asking the riders how they pronounce their names. So I'm pretty sure he's right.
    If suffer we must, let's suffer on the heights. (Victor Hugo).
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Kléber wrote:
    Your mates are Dutch and Devolder's Belgian. That's like asking a Scot to pronounce "Auld Trafford" :wink:

It's Stijn rhymes with... rhyme. Remember to roll the "r" on Devolder.

In fact, 'Sten' would be closer to a Flemish than a Dutch pronounciation. In RP Flemish and Dutch 'Stijn' is pronounced 'Steyen' with 'eye' like in 'eye'. Although not quite. The 'ij' sound in Dutch doesn't exist in English, and even my English speech therapist girlfriend hasn't mastered it completely.