trek fuel ex (2011)

baba123
baba123 Posts: 235
edited July 2010 in MTB general
:evil:
thats what i think of the new prices for the trek fuel ex as i shall explain
fuel ex 8 2010 £2000 fuel ex 8 2011 £2300
fuel ex 9 2010 £2500 fuel ex 9 2011 £2800
fuel ex 9.9 2010 £4500 fuel ex 9.9 2011 £6000(not a typing mistake that is the differance between those two bikes)
hopefully that doesn't set the tone for the rest of the year with the bike prices
what do you lot think
mongoose amasa elite 08
giant anthem x4 10

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    A bit more to it than that, yes the 9.9 has gone up £1500, but it's a new frame, and its now got DT Swiss wheels and an XX groupset, all of which are going to push the price up considerably anyway. Still looks like we're gonna see prices rising on everything else though.
  • gonga
    gonga Posts: 225
    baba123 wrote:
    thats what i think of the new prices for the trek fuel ex as i shall explain
    fuel ex 8 2010 £2000 fuel ex 8 2011 £2300
    fuel ex 9 2010 £2500 fuel ex 9 2011 £2800
    fuel ex 9.9 2010 £4500 fuel ex 9.9 2011 £6000(not a typing mistake that is the differance between those two bikes)
    hopefully that doesn't set the tone for the rest of the year with the bike prices
    what do you lot think

Wow :shock:
    Just glad i got my 09 ex 8 when i did for just over £1500!
  • Mark_K
    Mark_K Posts: 666
    The EX 9.9 is still a cracking bike at that price imo esp with the DT swiss wheels and XX group set !
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    the £300 increase is to be expected, with the economy going to hell in a handbasket.
    But £6000 for an off the shelf bike? Holy cow :shock:
  • njee20
    The Giant Anthem Advanced was £6000 this year, the Spark Ltd was £6500, the S-Works Stumpjumper/Epic, and the Top Fuel 9.9 were £5500. The top end bikes have gone pretty mental the last few years.

With carbon wheels on the S-Works bikes next year they'll be £6k easily I reckon, and I suspect the Top Fuel will match the Fuel Ex. Scott always manage to charge more too, so the Ltd will probably hit £7000.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    how can trek, spesh etc charge nearly 6 grand for an off the shelf bike, when other, much smaller companies i.e. whyte, on one etc are banging out stupidly well specced bikes for far less :? on charge barely 500 notes for a carbon hardtail frame and whyte are saying that the new 146 with a full X0 group will come in around the £3000, with the xx version for around £4000???? imo the big guys have lost the plot :roll:
  • njee20
    They charge that because people will pay it! You can get a carbon frame from eBay for £200, does that make the On One over priced? All the bike I mentioned are FS, comparing a hardtail's a bit harsh.

There's also no info about the Whyte 146, the £4000 full XX one may be on an alu frame with some mediocre components, unlikely admittedly.

Agree that the gulf seems to be opening though, slightly ironic that the likes of Trek/Spesh/Giant/Scott are more expensive than the 'boutique' brands like Turner, Santa Cruz etc.
  • Anonymous
    njee20 wrote:
    They charge that because people will pay it!
    I think that's what his point was. It's criminal, and bonkers.
  • lawman
    njee20 wrote:
    They charge that because people will pay it! You can get a carbon frame from eBay for £200, does that make the On One over priced? All the bike I mentioned are FS, comparing a hardtail's a bit harsh.

There's also no info about the Whyte 146, the £4000 full XX one may be on an alu frame with some mediocre components, unlikely admittedly.

Agree that the gulf seems to be opening though, slightly ironic that the likes of Trek/Spesh/Giant/Scott are more expensive than the 'boutique' brands like Turner, Santa Cruz etc.

very true, id much rather have a sc than a spesh. seen the 146 and all models are full carbon, i couldnt beleive it when the rep told me the prices they're aiming for. presuming they pull it off, they will be bargainous.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,762
    Seems that's the way it's going with a lot of manufacturers :( e.g. Lapierre doing the same: Giant hiked the prices of my bike by over £500 from 2009 to 2010 versions. I can only think that they're selling what they make and have forecasts that show bike sales increasing, so have decided to fatten up the margins.

From a business point of view it's logical, but from our point of view it sucks...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • njee20
    id much rather have a sc than a spesh.

I'd much rather have the better bike, and don't give two hoots what the downtube says!

A Spesh comes with a better warranty and far superior after sales, they also have far better trade prices than SC, which suits me :-)
  • lawman
    njee20 wrote:
    id much rather have a sc than a spesh.

I'd much rather have the better bike, and don't give two hoots what the downtube says!

A Spesh comes with a better warranty and far superior after sales, they also have far better trade prices than SC, which suits me :-)

ey but seeing as another lbs a few miles away from where i work in mine stocks spesh, i cant get them at trade, but i wouldnt want one anyway :lol:
  • Anonymous
    I'd rather have the better bike that's within my price range, and 6k is just WAAAAY out of it :(
  • baba123
    baba123 Posts: 235
    what about the trek fuel ex 9 £300 more and what do you get for it better wheels but a cheaper groupset
    mongoose amasa elite 08
    giant anthem x4 10
  • equinefunk
    equinefunk Posts: 323
    I think that the price increase makes the EX9 2010 look better value. I'm going to get one next week...(hopefully).

Excluding the 30 speed. If you took off the stock wheels sold them on eBay & then upgraded the wheels to what you want you'd be better off...I think.

Does the price hike in the US bikes start to make Euro trail bikes look better value? I was thinking about Ghost, Rose, Cube. The Ghost AMR 7500 which comes in at £2,200 for a 2010. I guess these manufacturers might try & establish themselves in the UK market.
    I'm over 6' and have quite a large head.
  • njee20
    Most of the Euro niche brands have always been better value, I can't see that's going to change if the more mainstream manufacturers push their prices up again.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    njee20 wrote:
    Most of the Euro niche brands have always been better value, I can't see that's going to change if the more mainstream manufacturers push their prices up again.

But the thing is, they're not really niche brands in Europe. I read something the other day that said that Rose's bike shop is so big that they've got a tarmac test track for road bikes. Inside the third floor of the store! :shock:

The Euro manufacturers have just never really pushed to 'break' the UK I guess, but these price hikes might encourage them to.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • mikee1979
    mikee1979 Posts: 151
    Thank God I picked up the Top Fuel 9 (2010) for £350 off, was going to wait till the 2011 but was worreied about any price hikes, and they look like some mighty hikes!
  • monkeylizard
    monkeylizard Posts: 155
    I don't think the problem is the price. The manufacturers must have some idea of what they're doing - if they asked a price that no one was going to pay they wouldn't have a business for very long.

I think the problem is more that we're too easily convinced (conned) that we need the newest, coolest, blingest kit every year. Over the coming months, dealers will be getting rid of 2010 and even 2009 models, often at really decent discounts - if a bike was good a year or two ago, it doesn't instantly become crap just because something new (not necessarily better) has come out.
  • njee20
    Of course it doesn't, but in some cases it is surpassed by a new, cheaper, model, that's a real kick in the teeth for the dealers!

Does affect the resale too of course, if people only intend to keep for a year they're going to lose out when they sell an older bike. Generally though as you say, particularly with new prices going up, there are some stonking bargains to be had!

As an aside, I'll be selling my 2010 Top Fuel 9.9 to get something new for next season :-)