Charity rides...

...are often undertaken by relative novice riders.

So, while I appreciate a challenge, why do they make them hard for those novice riders?

Today I did a nice event, which is run over 3 distances - 7, 25 & 50 miles.

The final 5 miles was covered by both the 25 & 50 mile routes and included a hill that went up steadily, with dip after the 1st third, for about 3 miles. The final mile was progressive at 5-6%, ramping up towards the end to 10%.

I reckon 75% of those on the 25 mile route walked the majority of the hill.

How many will not be encouraged to keep on riding because its perceived as 'too hard'?

Why not make that route, which is more popular with those novice riders, just a little less arduous so that they are encouraged?

These events are supposed to be fun, at the same time raising much needed funds for deserving causes. So why put people off?
There's no such thing as too old.

Comments

• Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Couldnt agree more. I've pondered that too,i even emailed the organisers of the pendle pedal to ask why there was no family friendly route.

I mean surely if you do a route and feel slightly challenged so that you think you could improve and try again next year it stands to reason that the organisers make more money.

It wont be the prices that will killof sportives it will be their own petty crusades to be the hardest ride. Shame.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.