Advertising by the Commentators

Homer J
Homer J Posts: 920
edited July 2010 in Pro race
I noticed today that over on itv4 whenever George Hincapie came into view Phil L would keep dropping his “Easton” wheels into the sentence, I think one was like “he’s putting power into those Easton wheels” or something similar.
Is this the norm or is Phil on a bung?

Comments

• finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    They mention the new clean double-ended bottle every single day.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Homer J wrote:
    I noticed today that over on itv4 whenever George Hincapie came into view Phil L would keep dropping his “Easton” wheels into the sentence, I think one was like “he’s putting power into those Easton wheels” or something similar.
    Is this the norm or is Phil on a bung?

He mentioned the same on Ballan's bike the other day.
  • gethmetal
    gethmetal Posts: 208
    Just another reason not to watch them, the wh0res.
  • tomb8555
    tomb8555 Posts: 229
    There was a shoutout for 'Trek' the other day as well.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    harmon says canyon make very good bikes
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Orleandrew
    Orleandrew Posts: 61
    I don't mind them doing that. Why shouldn't they point out the different kit? It's not exactly advertising to mention the names that are emblazoned all over the bikes.
  • Greggyr
    Greggyr Posts: 1,075
    I don't mind either

Most folk who are watching want to hear about the kit I think...whether it's wrong in terms of free plugging I don't know
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Greggyr wrote:
    I don't mind either

Most folk who are watching want to hear about the kit I think...whether it's wrong in terms of free plugging I don't know

For me that's the single biggest change in cycling.

There's a much larger emphasis on equipment. People who make kit understand it's the best form of publicity, and there's been an explosion in amateurs buying expensive sports kit across all sports over the last 15 years.

Teams like Cervelo being the most explicit.
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    yeah, it doesn't bother me, as you say it's good to see what kit they are using. Just found it a little strange mentioning the wheel brand as i've never heard him say , " zipps, ksyriums, etc"
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    It's going back a few years now, but Paul always would mention the "Castorama Raleigh cycles team" rather than the "Castorama team" as he was working for Raleigh at the time...
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    And on a similar note. Most teams are referred to by some abbreviation of their team (sponsor) name.
    The 3 digit abbreviation for Columbia is THR for Team High Road. Any idea why this is?
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    morstar wrote:
    And on a similar note. Most teams are referred to by some abbreviation of their team (sponsor) name.
    The 3 digit abbreviation for Columbia is THR for Team High Road. Any idea why this is?

i'd guess highroad is the parent company, like slipstream is to garmin.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago