Organising 10 days in Lanzarote Nov/Dec - package or solo?

kinesin
kinesin Posts: 100
edited July 2010 in Tour & expedition
Been thinking about flying out to Lanzarote** for a bit of winter sun and some decent cycling, easyjet flights can be had cheap and I've seen some apartments cheap for a week/10 days hire. It probably just be myself & (non-cyclist) female friend so I wondering if it's better to go with one of the package/organised holiday or try and do it all solo?
If you've been how did you organise it? Any recommendation for areas? Things to think about? What's the overall cost like? Any links to useful sites?

Thinking around the 23rd Nov -> 2 Dec, which from the forecast looks okay but with fairly short days. Am I right assume the wind isn't too bad at this time of year? and the sun if good enough for decent tan?

Basically looking for info from others as it will be first time overseas solo with bike? How easy it to meet up with other riders? Are there plenty of things for the other half do while you were out on the bike etc?

** other places can be suggested, this was first that came to mind.

Comments

• Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Some nice road climbs up above Costa Teguise, and off road if you want, amongst the volcanoes. Have also ridden Montana Rohas, or something like that - Red Mountain, in the south.
    Been twice and loved it. Roads in the lsland very quiet and very windy year round.
    Warm wind, but always blowing...
    I took a hardtail each time and did a mix of road/off road.

Can get electrical storms occasionally.

Well recommended.
    If you want "Alpine" type climbs, Gran Canaria.
    For the best off road, I think it's Fuerteventura for me!
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    http://www.clublasanta.co.uk/events/int ... reas-klier
    Club le santa on Lanzarote has several bike theme weeks throughout the year..heres one example but there are others like september races etc..looks serious stuff though.My sports club in manchester raves about the place as a multisports holiday venue
    jc
  • Hi

I went to the costa teguise on a cheap package and hired bikes last october- it was great. Great weather - great to be cycling at that time of year

until recently id have said theres not much in it between booking the package or DIY - but having been stuck in Mallorca for an extra week during the volcano earlier this year id opt for the package. thomsons stepped in and covered everything for us when it all went wrong - those on bargain airlines were left forking out for hotels and the uncertainty of how/when theyd get back

the only problem with a package is you really need to let them know that you are bringing a bike, and get something in writing