Cycling namesakes

afx237vi
afx237vi Posts: 12,630
edited July 2010 in Pro race
Lots of pro cyclists share their name with other famous people. How many can you identify?

SNN2502JH-280_516023a.jpg

Matt+Goss+Promo+Vegas+%283%29.jpg

tony-martin-pic-pa-828242872.jpg

costa.jpg

Thomas%20Dekker.jpg

large_518893.jpg

Armstrong_Rev%20Lance,John,Edward_HA_673.jpg

Manuel+Cardoso.jpg

LLOYD.jpg

luke-roberts-holby.jpg

- Some are pretty obscure.

- All are still racing except one.

- Right-clicking is cheating!

- Feel free to add any more I've overlooked.

Comments

• takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    Number 4 - Rui da Costa?

Here's an easy one

1994.jpg
  • afx237vi
    Number 4 - Rui da Costa?

Yes, well done, that is Caisse d'Epargne's young cyclist and part-time boxer Rui Costa, and also Benfica, Fiorentina and AC Milan legend Rui Costa.

Jack Bauer! How did I forget him?
  • Noodley
    Noodley Posts: 1,725
    3. Tony Martin

No idea who the rest of them are....
  • afx237vi
    Noodley wrote:
    3. Tony Martin

No idea who the rest of them are....

Yes, that is indeed convicted murderer Tony Martin, namesake of German time trial ace Tony Martin.
  • Bernardus
    Bernardus Posts: 136
    edited July 2010
    Number 5 = Thomas Dekker

EDIT: number 6 = Eddie Merckx? I don't recognize him, but I know there's a snooker/pool player with the same name.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    Number 1 looks like he could be called Evgeni, so my guess is Evgeni Petrov
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    err, 2 musical greats -
    2 is Matt Goss
    8 is Manuel Cardoso
  • afx237vi
    Bernardus wrote:
    Number 5 = Thomas Dekker

Yes, well done, I thought this was a toughie. That is American heartthrob-slash-actor Thomas Dekker, star of Heroes and Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, and namesake of overhyped Dutch doper Thomas Dekker.
  • afx237vi
    Number 1 looks like he could be called Evgeni, so my guess is Evgeni Petrov

No, there is only one Evgeni Petrov.
  • afx237vi
    err, 2 musical greats -
    2 is Matt Goss
    8 is Manuel Cardoso

Yes, 80s pop legend Matt Goss, and 17th century Baroque organ legend Manuel Cardoso. According to Wiki, he "represented the "golden age" of Portuguese polyphony," something I'm sure we all agree on.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • afx237vi
    Bernardus wrote:
    EDIT: number 6 = Eddie Merckx? I don't recognize him, but I know there's a snooker/pool player with the same name.

Sorry, I didn't see your edit, but I can confirm that is indeed the 2007 three cushion billiards World Champion Eddy Merckx.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,813
    jez hunt?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • afx237vi
    jez hunt?

Correct, number 1 is Jeremy Hunt, Conservative MP for South West Surrey and current Secretary of State for Culture, Olympics, Media and Sport.

That leaves 7, 9 and 10.
  • mididoctors
    7 lance armstrong aussie politician?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Dodger747
    Dodger747 Posts: 305
    9 is Dan Lloyd?
    VO2 Max - 79 ml/kg/min
    W/kg - 4.9
  • mididoctors
    9 dan lloyd oz rules?

10 no idea
  • afx237vi

Hah, come on now, did you right-click? That is, quite right, Tasmanian politician Reverend Lance John Edward Armstrong :lol:

Dodger747, correct indeed, that is Essendon full-forward and top goalscorer of all time Matthew Lloyd.
  • Abdoujaparov
    Abdoujaparov Posts: 642
    Christ, you lot know some seriously random celebrities (I use that term loosely) :)
  • mididoctors
    afx237vi wrote:

Hah, come on now, did you right-click? That is, quite right, Tasmanian politician Reverend Lance John Edward Armstrong :lol:

no no no no everyone knows about him.... :wink:
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi wrote:

no no no no everyone knows about him.... :wink:

Riiiiiiiiiiight :lol:

I know there was a racehorse named Lance Armstrong as well, but my Google-fu has failed me on this occasion.
  • csp
    csp Posts: 777
    YUKLQTAFFSPWXPP.20090316153915.jpg
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    No 10 looks like some dodgy actor - I think he might be in holby or something similar. Sorry don't know his name but it isn't Chris Horner is it? (Going through start list and finding one that might be likely).
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Ms Tree wrote:
    No 10 looks like some dodgy actor - I think he might be in holby or something similar. Sorry don't know his name but it isn't Chris Horner is it? (Going through start list and finding one that might be likely).

It's easier to go through the Holby City cast list to find a cyclist. He is an actor in Holby, but you worked that out not me - so I'll let you take the glory.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • afx237vi
    Yeah, it is someone from Holby City - I'm not sure who's the least famous, though, the actor or the cyclist.

No idea who the wrestler is!
  • csp
    csp Posts: 777
    afx237vi wrote:
    Yeah, it is someone from Holby City - I'm not sure who's the least famous, though, the actor or the cyclist.

No idea who the wrestler is!

Well, he's not a celebrity, but his name is David Zabriskie. :D
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Cyclists write some strange books (the last one is my favourite):

51SjtVyxN1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

9780199550289.jpg

51nFZpfOGjL._SS500_.jpg

410dzMh512L._SS500_.jpg

Unfortunately a picture wasn't available for the Graphic Designer's Guide to the Macintosh by Samuel Sanchez (it does exist)
    Twitter: @RichN95