My plan to secure my bike at home

Zombie_donkey
Zombie_donkey Posts: 359
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
I have been looking at ground anchors and they are either pathetically small or very expensive and probably too low to the ground for a D lock anyway.

I have a shed with a decent hardwood floor. I am planning to get a steel car wheel, as wide as I can get and coach bolt it to the floor of the shed. I will then drill out two holes to put a decent D-Lock through the holes from the inside of the wheel and then fill the wheel with cement, to make it impossible to undo the bolts.

Hopefully I can get the D-lock through the bottom of my bike frame but I also have an armoured cable.
Giant Escape M1....
Penny Farthing
Unicycle
The bike the Goodies rode
Pogo Stick
Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,

Comments

• sharm1969ca
    sharm1969ca Posts: 136
    Nice idea! :) ive got everything cable locked to everything else in my shed also a bucket of concrete chained to my bike. An old D lock works great for this. Is your shed stood on hard ground? i.e concrete slabs, if so might be better of to put the coach bolts into that rather than just through the floor of the shed. But at the end of the day, if they want it they will take it the fkn theiving scrotes!!! just make it hard for them eh!.
  • The shed is floating on concrete piles so the floor has nothing below it. Hence the hardwood floor.

I also have a basic but unavoidable alarm arrangement planned. Thieving coward scroats hate noise.
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    Pogo Stick
    Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    I also have a basic but unavoidable alarm arrangement planned. Thieving coward scroats hate noise.
    So will the neighbours if it keeps getting set off by false alarms :D

You must have a big shed if it's on piled foundations :roll:

I've got a Sheffield stand bolted to the concrete slab of my porch. Not the best but the bikes are in the house that way.
    It's a big porch but the last people were a bit inconsiderate when they built it a couple of inches too narrow to fit 3 bikes in there :wink:
  • acidstrato
    acidstrato Posts: 945
    i have one of these bolted to the wall of my garage with the master lock chain

http://www.mcleodaccessories.com.au/CA2 ... 89_lrg.jpg

smashed ball bearings into the hex head of the bolts so doubt i could remove it in one piece myself even if i wanted to
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Hmm. Can you get anything underneath the shed? I'd prefer the security deadweight-thing (wheel in your case) underneath it so that it doesn't take up shed space (which is for more bikes, obviously). Drill through the floor of the shed to run chains to your weight.

Incidentally, I believe you're advised to keep the D-Locks off the floor, because if they're on the floor they're apparently easier to attack. Not that it'll make a huge difference either way.

Are you planning to use a security chain like this too?
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    The Subway 1 can be bought for around £200...The Almax chain on its own is nearly half that. I think we're missing a sense of proportion here. Is your area such an incredibly high-risk one that you need to take all these precautions over a basic commuter hack, and if so, isn't simply moving the bike inside a more secure and cheaper option?
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    I got a 'reject' Sheffield bike stand off my local council for free which a council staff member offered me after I discussed the issue on a local cycle campaign forum.

One of the legs was bent out of shape, 15 minutes with a sledge hammer sorted that out :)

I've just got to concrete it in, and get a heavy duty waterproof motorcycle cover for about £40 and I'm sorted.

I'm also looking into using the back door house alarm contacts to use a loop cable to put round my bike, break the loop and the house alarm goes off.

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • aldric
    aldric Posts: 161
    I believe Zombie_Donkey is getting / now has a boardman road bike... I am assuming he wants to secure the Subway and his new toy.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    The reason you should keep D-locks off the floor is that it allows someone to attack the lock a lot more easily. The ground makes a good fulcrum for a long crowbar or croppers, and it's easier to use an angle grinder on something bolted to the floor, rather than in mid air.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • I have a Kryptonite D lock and cable. Nothing too exotic. The spare wheel idea is a cheap as chips but effective way to foil casual thieves.

Yes the shed has a 5 ft deep void below it, for some reason, hence the concrete columns/piles it sits on Mr Thistle :roll: . Oh and the alarm would not go off unless it was under attack, I am not a numpty! :roll: Not that I am going in to details on an open forum. :wink:

I didn't install the shed, I think a previous owner of the property liked to over engineer things. I would love to knock it down but it would require too much work to deal with the hole.

The D lock will be off the floor by a good 5 inches hopefully.
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    Pogo Stick
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Mmm give me a hacksaw and i will be off with some goodies in a few minutes.

Like i always say, if they want it they will take it whatever you do.

get insurance and comply with all the small print.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:

At least they will have to do some work. :D
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    Pogo Stick
  • rjsterry
    If you've got a five foot hole under the shed, surely you should rig up some kind of Wile E. Coyote-style trapdoor/pit arrangement to catch unwary bike thieves.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    Better still, hide the bike under the shed!
  • sharm1969ca
    sharm1969ca Posts: 136
    PUNJI PIT springs to mind for the thieving effing scroates! :lol:
  • thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 719
    move somewhere without so many thieves
  • mickbrown
    mickbrown Posts: 100
    I've got a shed shackle thing and a big f off 13mm chain.

Locks 3 bikes up. They can probably get at them with 5 foot bolt cutters or demolishing the shed.

If they are that determined, they can have the buggers.
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    nicklouse wrote:

At least they will have to do some work. :D

Maybe, but it's also a PITA for you using your bike...

I'm undecided on this, you can buy a cordless grinder for under £100 which would make very short work of anything mentioned on this thread, but you don't want to make it too easy I suppose incase they haven't come equipped.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • rjsterry
    How about an Asgard steel bike shed - yes, you could grind off the locks (two well shrouded decent padlocks on mine), but it would make the mother of all dins, what with it being a big metal box. It makes enough noise just opening and closing it.

Also some of those cordless grinders aren't all that. They might chew up a decent hardened shackle, but some of them would run out of battery before they got through.
    Pinnacle Monzonite