Uplifts and Camping in Scotland

nonnac85
nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
edited July 2010 in Routes
I know of Fort BIll, Glenshee and The Lecht but I just wondered if there are any other chairlift accessed trails in Scotland. It doesn't matter whereabouts in Scotland as Im on a road trip and have no fixed destinations in mind!
Thanks
My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time

Comments

• Bred2shred
    Bred2shred Posts: 306
    The only other chair lifts you haven't mentioned are glen coe and cairngorm, i've no idea if any of these have trails or not. I'd be surprised if cairgorm wasn't on the mtb band wagon yet.
    Never argue with an idiot, he'll only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
  • AFAIK Glencoe DOES and Cairngorm/Aviemore DOESN'T :)
  • Greig M
    Greig M Posts: 86
    Laggan Wolftrax has a landrover and bike trailer,

No Skilift tho
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I'd be surprised if cairgorm wasn't on the mtb band wagon yet.

Nothing at Cairngorm Mountain for mtbs I'm afraid. The chairlift has been replaced by a train, but they don't take bikes.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • nonnac85
    Will get myself to Fort Bill then!

Any suggestions for camp sites near by the Nevis Range centre. I know there is the hostel but prefer camping if possible
    Thanks
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Glenshee and the Lecht have red-graded uplift trails but neither seems especially worth the hassle. Glenshee's in particular is brand new and built by their own staff not by experienced trailbuilders, it doesn't look great. Though, it's just the first hopefully of many so I won't write it off but I think it's too early yet to make a big trip to.

Laggan's uplift is almost completely pointless unless you're a jumper, it doesn't even go as high as the top of the lower red, when we were there it was dropping off at the top of the Orange, so it just bypasses a very easy fireroad spin. No idea why anyone thought that was a good idea really. The trails are absolutely worth the effort of riding up for anyway so don't consider it an uplift centre, just consider it a great place to ride. And not too far from Nevis Range either.

Fort William on the other hand is biking mecca :lol: So it's not a hard call. Glen Nevis Holidays has a good rep for camping.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • covelove
    covelove Posts: 209
    if you are heading to fort bill or anywhere in the highlands take a midge net and spray with you, they are fierce at this time of year!

no chairlift but you can also get uplift for the DH trails at innerleithen and ae forest, maybe on route to fort bill?
    does my tail look hard in this?

cove stiffee

orange 222
  • nonnac85
    Will have a look at the Glen Nevis holidays place. Thanks for the info.