Eurotunnel bike roof rack

canoas
canoas Posts: 307
edited July 2010 in Tour & expedition
I booked my Eurotunnel ticket 3 months ago and forgot to enter car/bike/roof rack option, I tried to change my booking online but the outward journey had no spaces left for the roof bicycle option which I understand are slotted into a different carriage. So I'm stuck, anyone know if you can just turn up with your bike on top and hope they will let you on? Or maybe turn up earlier for an earlier train and try?

Anyone know!

Comments

• andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Give eurotunnel a call? 08443 35 35 35 - open on Sundays although the department that deals with bikes is only open Mondays to Fridays

There is space for six bikes and cyclists on every departure, so you might be able to put your bikes in this bit of the train.

http://www.eurotunnel.com/ukcP3Main/ukc ... cycles.htm
  • boristhebold
    boristhebold Posts: 103
    Turn up, take bike off, lay bike on roof rack using a couple of straps and £1 worth of pipe lagging, get through tunnel and reverse operation putting bike back on roof rack. Simple.
  • canoas
    canoas Posts: 307
    I will try option of laying bike on roof rack with straps, I did mention this to Eurotunnel, got an email back saying that I must enter services along motorway to remount bike, no way! as soon as I'm out off the carriage, bike will be mounted again on the bike rack, they can't say no!

Also might try the option of 6 bikes per journey, heard about this.....
  • heatonrider
    heatonrider Posts: 109
    we have done euro tunnel in the past and the trains are high - like high enough to take a coach so the roof rack was never an issue .. maybe they have changed?
  • harpo
    harpo Posts: 173
    I travel regular on ET and never knew of their bike service! Might take use of that some time.

If you haven't booked as an overheight vehcile and turn up with bikes on the roof you'll probably get charged extra. As a overheight vehicle you are forced down a different lane because there are height barriers. The lane you go down is manned and they check your booking there and will deal with you not having the right booking in whatever way they do i.e. a charge or lengthy delay. If you are booked on a busy day/time then you could be shafted. Loads of buses and people carriers with roof boxes traveling in summer! Mornings and weekends are busiest on way to france and quieter in afternoon. Quieter in the morning comming back.

If you lie the bikes flat tripple check the height as you don't want to hit a height barrier!
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    canoas wrote:
    I will try option of laying bike on roof rack with straps, I did mention this to Eurotunnel, got an email back saying that I must enter services along motorway to remount bike, no way! as soon as I'm out off the carriage, bike will be mounted again on the bike rack, they can't say no!
    have you been on eurotunnel before? where are you planning to stop to do this if not at the services? as I recall, you are launched onto the motorway at the other end, although I could wel be wrong.
    i think what they meant is "yes, that's a good idea, but be aware that there's nowhere to stop at the exit of the train, so do it carefully so your bike survives until you can stop".
  • pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    I took bike recenetly and had not booked it as over-height as it was going on a rear mounted bike rack. However the rack and bike took the car over the 1.85(?) height restriction - which we only realised when going under the dangly thing which checks whether you will fit in the train. I informed the next eurotunnel employee we spotted and he waved us through a service lane and on to the high vehicle part of the train - no extra charge.
    I think sometimes its a little pot luck - we had checked in at the auto tolls so all we were doing by the time we realised there was a problem was getting in the way, so they waved us through!!
  • chrisba
    chrisba Posts: 91
    When you get off Le Shuttle in France, you are, as someone has already stated, straight onto a motorway, with nowhere to stop to adjust your rack.

However, you can get off almost immediatly by diverting to Cite Europe shopping centre, or if you get on the main coast Autoroute, you can get off it almost immediatly in either direction onto ordinary roads. No more than 1 mile either way.