Narrowed my Hybrid down to 2 bikes, Trek or Specialized

martylaa
martylaa Posts: 147
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
Well spent hours reading reviews and just been to the bike shops to check them out, i've narrowed it down to 2 bike:
Specialzed Sirrus Elite £649.99
Trek 7.5 FX £725.00

Did agree a deal on a Scott Sub 10 with the internal hub for £800, but i'm going to ring them back and cancel the deal, i'm worriered about the weight at the back end when climbing and the 8 gears.

Anyone got one of the above 2 bikes? If so any comments or issues what to look out for and has anyone seen any good deals on one?

Cheers

Comments

• gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Trek looks overpriced; Evans etc are knocking them out for £599
  • martylaa
    i like the black and red trek 7.5 fx mind, not sure though which one has the best specs
  • CrackFox
    CrackFox Posts: 287
    I tootled around Japan for a few weeks in May on a hired Trek 7.5 fx. It's a nice bike - comfortable on 4-5 hour rides, climbed well etc. Bontrager components were all good. I found the setup much too upright for my liking but it was good once all the spacers were removed and the stem was flipped. If I was in the market for a hybrid it would certainly be on my list.
  • martylaa
    Liking the sounds of the Trek

Evans have 2 different models:
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/tre ... e-ec020764
    black one with full deore spec or

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/tre ... gn=froogle
    Nickel colour but has Deore and Tiagre spec also 25 quid cheaper, surely the black one would be the one to go for?
    Anyone agree?
    Which would you pick out of them?
  • zn533
    zn533 Posts: 66
    I used to have the Sirrus, really great bike for commuting. It's pretty much a road bike with flat handlebars so it was FAST! Didn't try the Trek.

The only thing I would say is if you are looking for a fast bike like this, do consider a road bike. I eventually sold the Sirrus for one because I had numb hands on longer rides where I couldn't change hand positions.

If you plan on using the bike for more than just commuting, this is something to bear in mind.

Whichever way you go, happy cycling!
  • martylaa
    Its for commuting and shortish rides on weekends and daytimes, found a road bike too harsh around where i am and i like the flat bar position better for me.
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    I've got the trek 7.3 , I love it, fast and has quick acceleration.

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • Norky
    Norky Posts: 276
    martylaa wrote:
    Its for commuting and shortish rides on weekends and daytimes, found a road bike too harsh around where i am and i like the flat bar position better for me.

Comfort and harshness of ride will be due to the stiffness of frame and fork, its geometry and tyres, not the handlebars. There can be a world of difference between a drop bar 'racing' bike (low, aggressive position) and a drop bar bike built for sportive events or touring (more upright, forgiving ride).

I did not think I would get on with drop bars so I bought a Specialized Sirrus a couple of years ago. Now I have a fast road bike with drop bars (Focus Cayo) and I am considering putting drop bars on the Sirrus. Lots of people on this forum thought "I wont like drop bars" and got something with flat bars, then later ended up changing.

However if you prefer flat bars, you prefer flat bars.
    The above is a post in a forum on the Intertubes, and should be taken with the appropriate amount of seriousness.