Sportives - thoughts please

Zarbio
Zarbio Posts: 5
I am in the process of planning a cycle sportive event for April 2011 for my local cycle club. it will be in central Scotland, so we have potential for some nice climbs, great descents, some flat road mixed in with historic buildings and great scenery to ride past. So this is a bit of market research for the potential entrants. Need some views on the following:

Is an entry fee of £15 - £20 acceptable? (these things are surprisingly costly to organise)
A choice of Two routes 50 - 80 miles?
People ok with a bit of climbing c.2000m on the longer route?
Preferences for B roads or unclassified?
How important is electronic timing?
What sort of gift would you like after the event, for example a medal, a water bottle, mug, coaster.
Would like to be notified of the planned event once it is finalised?

Peoples thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Comments

• Give Paul Prince of Cultracing a ring. He has organised non-pretentious and inexpensive sportive in the Midlands at £10pp, known as the Mad March Hare.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Is an entry fee of £15 - £20 acceptable? (these things are surprisingly costly to organise) Yes - that sounds fine to me.
    A choice of Two routes 50 - 80 miles? By April most riders will have been able to do some decent rides - so I'd be tempted to go longer ? 90 say ?
    People ok with a bit of climbing c.2000m on the longer route? That sounds fine - but dont do what the chshire cat did last year - 50m of flat and then all the climbs at the end.
    Preferences for B roads or unclassified?Dont mind - traffic and road surface matters though.
    How important is electronic timing? Not too fussed really. a nice to have.
    What sort of gift would you like after the event, for example a medal, a water bottle, mug, coaster. Something useful ? Buff, bottle ?
    Would like to be notified of the planned event once it is finalised? Bit far away for me !
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Pinching an idea from the tour ride Stoke (apparently)
    sod all other silly plastic bags full of flyers.
    1/2 mile to 1 mile of closed road at the end of the sportive for a proper sprint finish and as someone mentioned - not just to "roll" silently and anti climatically into a gravelly over crowded car park for one's efforts.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    JGSI wrote:
    Pinching an idea from the tour ride Stoke (apparently)
    sod all other silly plastic bags full of flyers.
    1/2 mile to 1 mile of closed road at the end of the sportive for a proper sprint finish and as someone mentioned - not just to "roll" silently and anti climatically into a gravelly over crowded car park for one's efforts.

That sounds like fun!

I'd also add, an imaginative food stop makes a hell of a difference. I did the Sheffield Action 100 a few weeks ago, and the lunch stop was out of this world - meat pies (big ones), pasta, fruit and vegetable salads, cakes and fruit pies - it knocked the usual offerings of sliced bananas and gels into a cocked hat!

As for the OP:
    Is an entry fee of £15 - £20 acceptable? (these things are surprisingly costly to organise) - Yes, that's good value for a sportive (yes, yes, I know audaxes are cheaper)
    A choice of Two routes 50 - 80 miles? Longer route is perhaps on the short side?
    People ok with a bit of climbing c.2000m on the longer route? Try to spread them out throughout the ride, not all in one section, keeps it interesting!
    Preferences for B roads or unclassified? Don't mind.
    How important is electronic timing? Most people run computers or GPS, but lots of people like to know if they've run a time that would be considered 'fast' or not.
    What sort of gift would you like after the event, for example a medal, a water bottle, mug, coaster. A certificate's nice. So's a medal. If the route's good people don't notice these things much though, they're just icing.
    Would like to be notified of the planned event once it is finalised? It's a long way for me, but why not. People go to mainland Europe to do these things - why not Scotland?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Barbes
    Barbes Posts: 72
    I would say 60 / 100 miles but depends probably on the surfaces and climbs. Price is about right - competitive market these days. I think people like electronic timing though not too fussed personally. A good, easy access feed station is a must have. Certificate at the end maybe but at your price point I don't think people will mind not having much of a goody bag together.

I'm based in Glasgow so would appreciate being kept informed (what route ideas do you have just now?).
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    GPX route issued beforehand, preferably with coursepoints for major climbs, junctions, shops etc.

I've seen well-marked courses saboutaged, so a GPX route is great for those with a GPS who can keep those without pointing the right way.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Long route should be around 100 miles - if you are travelling you want your money's worth.

Try not to make the route too difficult to follow - as has been mentioned signs can go missing or just be missed - the less convoluted it is the easier it'll be for people to follow.

I don't think a gift/goody bag matters at all - if you want to provide something then some hot food would be nice - even just some soup and a roll or something like that - though having reasonably priced food for sale would be fine.

People seem to like climbing - but I wouldn't go mad sticking every little climb you can find in there and I'd avoid too many small difficult descents - reasonably fast and open descents are more fun.

I know your insurance may specify helmets are compulsory but some people will be attracted by events where they can choose to wear one or not - probably not an issue for most but personally I'm more likely to ride events where I can choose.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    I'd be interested in that, I stay in Edinburgh. For me 50 miles at that time of year would be enough but no doubt loads of folk would like 90-ish. As for free gifts, I've got enough water bottles and medals now (you always seem to get one) mug or a t-shirt would be good. Electronic timing is a must I would say. Some kind of "special" finish point would be good too (Wallace monument, Stirling Castle, Doune hill-climb)
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    Spot prizes at the start ro finish.
  • BigG67
    BigG67 Posts: 582
    Is an entry fee of £15 - £20 acceptable? (these things are surprisingly costly to organise) - that's a good price and would help secure entries
    A choice of Two routes 50 - 80 miles? - A little longer perhaps, 65 and 100 (50 feels like a standard ride and 100 is a great target)
    People ok with a bit of climbing c.2000m on the longer route? - As said yes but spread it out with perhaps a "Queen" climb 2/3 of the way round
    Preferences for B roads or unclassified? - Either are fine as long sthey are quiet B roads and the surface is good on any unclassified
    How important is electronic timing? - Very for me. I know it's not a race but if I do a ride YoY I tend to like to see both if my time's improved and if I've moved up the field...in case the weather was to blame :wink:
    What sort of gift would you like after the event, for example a medal, a water bottle, mug, coaster. - Not that important, I don't like certificates 'cos they sit in a tray in my office at home....T-Shirts are good but tbh I'd not be that fussed and I'm as likely to buy one if it's nice.
    Would like to be notified of the planned event once it is finalised? - Definitely, I'm between Perth and Dunblane so this is a cracker for me :D
  • Zarbio
    Zarbio Posts: 5
    A quick note to all who have taken the time to respond to my questions, and encourage anyone else who wants to respond. Lots of things for me and the other folk organising this to consider here. I can say the event will go ahead on Saturday 23rd April 2011, start in Kinross and take the entrants on a tour of the area which is truly picturesque with some stunning scenery, very pretty villages and as we are in Kinross-shire (which is surrounded by hills) up some terrific hills, some of which have an alpine feel to them. The website for the event is still under development (www.sportive-kinross.co.uk) as are many aspects of this event but we hope to have all set up and ready to go for the end of August. So keep an eye on the website and I hope to see some of you in April 2011. Cheers, Zarbio
  • Having ridden a few sportives this year, I think the most important things are:

Good sign-posting. There is nothing more annoying than getting lost or getting to a junction and finding no sign!

Good food at the food stops: plenty of energy drink, plain water, some cereal bars, bananas and some more imaginative nibbles.

I agree that the "goody bag" at the end is not all that important.

Food at the end is, however, important - especially if people are going to have to travel a long way home. We were promised post-ride pasta at one sportive and were extremely disappointed to find this meant a portion in a container the size of an egg-cup! (Of course we wouldn't be hungry at the end of a sportive!) At another sportive, on the hottest day of the year, there wasn't even any water/fluid at the end!

Price of the entry fee doesn't really matter - if people want to ride it, they will - but if you're going to charge more than about £18, make sure the route is well signed and that the food stations are well stocked up with good quality food. At the last sportive I rode, the energy bars had been chopped in two and there weren't even enough to go round! Disappointing!

Route-wise, I would agree that something a bit longer than 80 miles would be a good idea. It's also nice to feel you have travelled somewhere rather than weaved in and out of some country lanes all within a 10 mile radius of the start!

Anyway, hope this helps... just some random ramblings!
  • eldudino
    eldudino Posts: 170
    I'll be riding this one as I live in Stirling.

I'd suggest that the 'medal' be something useful, like a coaster. Not only can you use it (desk at work etc.) but I find that the medals that get given out are tokens for the day only, they're a bit useless afterwards.

I don't think waterbottles are a great idea, but a T-shirt is, especially one that's been well designed.

Electronic timing is a must, I use my garmin but it's nice to have an official time.