Converting from 27'' to 700c wheels

stuarthop
stuarthop Posts: 23
edited July 2010 in Workshop
I've been given a 1970s Ken Bird time trial bike that is imaculate. My old man has owned it from new.

The problem is the wheels on it will only take a pair of Tubs and are of course 27".

I'd like to be able to use this bike on a daily basis is running a pair of 27'' tubs if I can get hold of any going to cost me a fortune?

How easily can i convert the bie to 700c wheels and what parts will i need brakes ect?

It would be a shame to have to only ride this bike on high days.
*2007 Stumpjumper Comp* - The weekend toy
*2009 Btwin Sport 1* - The cheap commuter roadie

Comments

• Weejie54
    Weejie54 Posts: 750
    Long reach brakes are usually needed. If your bike has Campy brakes from that period you could seek some of these:

http://velobase.com/ViewSingleComponent ... 3709410cd0

I bought some on eBay a while back - they were 'new old stock' - not cheap!
    The difference in rim radius is 4mm, so some brakes can handle it.
    It may well be that your rims (being tubs) are the same size as 700c clinchers anyway.

Your rear dropout width might need adjusting. You could lace rims on your existing hubs.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Sprint wheels for tubs are the same size as 700c so you should have no trouble fitting them. I used to ride 27" pressures for most riding and tubs for racing. It was a sod when you rode out to a race with your sprints on carriers then had to reset your brakes for the sprints, race and then do it all again to ride home.
    The frame may be 126mm OLN (over lock nuts) while modern wheels are 130mm. If it is a steel frame you can probably spring it out enough quite easily or get it cold set at a repair shop.
  • Nerrep
    Nerrep Posts: 112
    I just whacked some 700c ones on mine, and it was fine. Brakes needed adjusting, but no problems other than that.

The dropouts/forks may be too narrow for modern wheels as mentioned, but just stretch them out and pop the wheel in (assuming the frame is steel, of course).