lol, I know you like your pics mate

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/0 ... art_i.html
cartoon.jpg

Comments

• great pics there
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Doobz wrote:

Gotta say, that the "devil" has a pretty good vertical jump for a old guy. NBA material :wink::wink:
  • Cheshire_Cat
    Cheshire_Cat Posts: 464
    Excellent pics - I'll have whatever The Devil's on :wink:
  • Good find, great pictures. thanks.

If you can't be asked to click through to the link, do it!
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Ohh nice. Some excellent, interesting shots. I saw the photos this site had for 2009 and 2008 and was waiting for these ones to come out.

Thanks for posting.

Right click save as on a whole bunch of those.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    The first photo of Cadel in the rain and the one of Schleck in Contador's glasses are stunning!!!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    The one of Tyler Farrar crying is great... looks like he landed in nettles! Yowch! And in Pic #2 there's the main woman from 'Pulling' cheering on Lance. :)

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • rockmount
    rockmount Posts: 761
    As a photographer of sorts .... I gotta say, that's about as good as it gets !
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • antlaff
    antlaff Posts: 583
    Amazing pics - favourite is the Evans pic
  • ratsbeyfus
    antlaff wrote:
    Amazing pics - favourite is the Evans pic

Yeah... you could park your bike in his chin bum.

@ratsbey
  • jamlala
    jamlala Posts: 284
    They are amazing - capture the whole circus that is the TdeF.
    Cannondale Supersix 105 2013- summer bike - love it!
    Cannondale CAAD12 - racing fun!
    Trek Crockett 5 - CX bike, muddy fun!
    Scott Scale 940 MTB XC racer.
    __@    
    _`\<,_   
    ---- (*)/ (*)
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    They're the best cycling photos I've ever seen :shock: I'm tempted to download some and have them made into canvases!

The one of Lance in the dust over the cobbles is amazing.
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    Wow, such stunning, vibrant, alive pics! Thanks!
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    How on Earth did they get that photo of Schleck in Contador's glasses?! I appreciate they have burst modes on the camera but to get it so perfectly and so sharp has got to be a 1 in a million chance. Incredible.

My personal favourite is the one coming out of the tunnel though.
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • EdHarris
    EdHarris Posts: 81
    Are there any photographers on here? How does Lionel Bonaventure get his photos to look the way they do (for example, photos 19, 20, 27 and 38)? It looks like they have a high contrast and perhaps a bit desaturated? Has he done this on photoshop or are there settings on the camera to do this?
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Digital photos shot in RAW format can be 'processed' with a variety of filters and many tweaks can be made to them prior to saving. Further changes can be made in photoshop.

Or so I'm told (have done it myself with a high-end digital camera). Mostly they are just awesome photos.

Interesting to see that Contador changed his helmet from an Ionos to a Prolight in the last stage. I thing the Prolight looks fugly.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Pokerface wrote:

Interesting to see that Contador changed his helmet from an Ionos to a Prolight in the last stage. I thing the Prolight looks fugly.

This.

Makes you look like a schoolkid. (The helmet, not the comment!)
  • ratsbeyfus
    They're the best cycling photos I've ever seen :shock: I'm tempted to download some and have them made into canvases!

You migt want to get the Lance photo laminated, so you can wipe it clean after you've 'enjoyed' looking at it... :wink:

@ratsbey
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    ratsbeyfus wrote:

You migt want to get the Lance photo laminated, so you can wipe it clean after you've 'enjoyed' looking at it... :wink:

You might want to learn how to spell before you try and insult people. 8)

Congratulations on making yourself look like a total arsehole in the process though. Kudos.
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus wrote:

You might want to learn how to spell before you try and insult people. 8)

Congratulations on making yourself look like a total arsehole in the process though. Kudos.

Insults? Pot... kettle... black.
    Pointing out spelling mistakes? Desperate.
    Arsehole? Your adoration of Lance doesn't make you such a great judge of character.

@ratsbey
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    Briliant, thanks for posting. I've saved a whole bunch of them - and I want a race bike pendant 8)
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    AidanR wrote:
    How on Earth did they get that photo of Schleck in Contador's glasses?! I appreciate they have burst modes on the camera but to get it so perfectly and so sharp has got to be a 1 in a million chance. Incredible.

My personal favourite is the one coming out of the tunnel though.

They love those shots in the glasses! Produces some superb photos with the reflections and strong colours of the lenses.

This is Cancellara in Geraint's glasses:

610x-4-4.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    See #11 of Farrar on the ground. Given that he smashed his left side, is his helmet damaged as well? The shell has an orange peel effect like it was shoved into a gravelly road.

I really rang my bell when I crashed at a criterium last June and that's worse at first then the body blows, feeling mildly concussed and disoriented was not fun. The neck strain over the following 2-3 days wasn't any better. Helmet saved me from worse than that tho.

I can't believe these guys get up and continue...
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • gethmetal
    gethmetal Posts: 208
    Fantastic pictures, thought I'd try to bump the thread with a new link, but I get nowhere on these American sites... :oops:

So here's the link for again, as per the original post...

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/0 ... art_i.html

And here's another, from a very similar thread...

http://blogs.denverpost.com/captured/20 ... ance-2010/

As I said, fantastic pictures, and thanks to the original posters of the links.
    Quality work.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    EdHarris wrote:
    Are there any photographers on here? How does Lionel Bonaventure get his photos to look the way they do (for example, photos 19, 20, 27 and 38)? It looks like they have a high contrast and perhaps a bit desaturated? Has he done this on photoshop or are there settings on the camera to do this?

Set your camera to high contrast/low saturation?

All digital shots can be tweaked or even highly modified but press photographers generally don't have the time so use their knowledge to set the camera up right for the conditions. Some press printers use desk bound operators to tweak the photographers shots but the best don't need it.

PS:- Most mods done on photoshop now have been done in the darkroom for well over a century. It's just that the masses didn't know about it.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • andyxm
    andyxm Posts: 132
    See #11 of Farrar on the ground. Given that he smashed his left side, is his helmet damaged as well? The shell has an orange peel effect like it was shoved into a gravelly road.

I really rang my bell when I crashed at a criterium last June and that's worse at first then the body blows, feeling mildly concussed and disoriented was not fun. The neck strain over the following 2-3 days wasn't any better. Helmet saved me from worse than that tho.

I can't believe these guys get up and continue...

On a similar note #15 is a great photo - look at the pannier on the motorbike!