Epipen

bike-a-swan
bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
edited July 2010 in MTB general
Righto, in a rather unnerving turn of events, I found out today after getting stung by a wasp that I have anaphylaxis. Didn't do badly, managed to get to the GP's before collapsing in the automatic doors of waiting room, which I thought was good going!

Anyway, the long and short of it is, I now have to carry an epipen, which for those who don't know is basically a shot of adrenalin, carried in a plastic tube about the diameter of a 2p piece and a bit longer than a pen. I'm thinking of the best ways to carry it by bike. Does anyone have the same, what do you do? Any suggestions from anyone else welcome too...

It needs to be easily accessible, time is of the essence, and also findable by anyone else- I usually use a camelbac off road, just a saddlebag on the roadie. Cheers!
Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    You should, hopefully have enough time to get to it in a Camelbak if you're stung. Keep it in an outside-ish pocket though, not buried underneath loads of spare tubes, food etc. It's more likely that someone else would find it if they had to help you then.

Or, you could do what my ex did. She just kept hers in a drawer at home :roll:
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    My dad has to carry this spray after his recent heart attack.

It's quite a bit smaller than what you describe but he just sticks in his bag or pocket if he doesn't have a bag on
  • asquithea
    asquithea Posts: 145
    Zip tied to your rucksack strap?

Or maybe tied on a string round your neck? I clip pens to the neck of my T-shirts all the time, and for some reason you stop noticing it's there really quickly.
  • pte1643
    pte1643 Posts: 518
    It needs to be easily accessible, time is of the essence, and also findable by anyone else

Get yourself a wristband (assuming you haven't got one), that alerts others to your condition.
  • pte1643
    peter413 wrote:

GTN?
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    pte1643 wrote:
    peter413 wrote:

GTN?

It's a red bottle with a white top if that helps :lol:
  • pte1643
    peter413 wrote:
    pte1643 wrote:
    peter413 wrote:

GTN?

It's a red bottle with a white top if that helps :lol:

Yep, that sounds like the stuff.
  • nettlerash
    nettlerash Posts: 15
    My mrs has to carry them for the same reason, you can get neoprene pouches for them that clearly state what's inside they can be put onto a belt or clipped to the outside of a camelback.
  • Spugnut
    Spugnut Posts: 128
    Epipen pouches. Quick google search...

http://www.anaphylactic.co.uk/catalog/epipen-carriers-epipen-pouches-c-26_22.html?osCsid=kdqm4ddv5quvtekf9hve3n7bm4

My brother has various similar holders and pouches for his insulin pens.
    Happy trails.
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    Glue some velcro cable ties to it and tie it onto the frame?
  • bike-a-swan
    Cheers all, some good suggestions there. I was thinking perhaps some sort of sealable tube attached to the bottle cage mounts, maybe with a fairly bright sticker pointing at it... Have to have a look at some of them in more detail.
  • Splatter
    Splatter Posts: 41
    my daughter has to carry one out runing - I'll have a search - it's in a virtually indestructable plastic custom fit tube - try to post pics and a link later. b.t.w. she ( thankfully ) has never had to use one as on both occasions ( exercise-induced anaphalaxix ) we've been around and managed to get her to an A&E in double quick time!
    The artist formerly known as "HALO"
    What Mountain Bike Forum - R.I.P.
    Trailspirit mtb web - R.I.P.
    mtbuk.co.uk & Bike Weasel - R.I.P.
  • Anonymous
    holy crap, I didn't know you could get exercise induced anaphylaxis :shock:
  • CowboyBob
    CowboyBob Posts: 977
    Dated a girl once who had t carry one. She had a few about her person/bag at all times.
    When cycling she would let me know which out side pocket one was in.

Getting a pouch for you camel back strap would be the logic method. EAsy enough to make or buy from camping shops/ army surplus stores.
    Cowboy by name, Cowboy by nature ...... and sick \'n\' twisted to boot!!!

http://www.wetshovel.vox.com

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1081352/
  • holy crap, I didn't know you could get exercise induced anaphylaxis :shock:
    Set off by some combination of a certain food - they never have found out which one, and strenuous exercise - by that I mean racing ( running ). Both times she first went blotchey and "bumpy" - like severe nettle rash, then tongue swelling, but on both occasions, because of prompt action, everything turned out fine!
  • bike-a-swan
    Trailspirit, that's fantastic, cheers. Just the sort of thing I was looking for! I'm sure you'll all be happy to know I seem to be suffering no ill effects- cranked out just shy of 60 miles today, felt the strongest I have in a while!
  • bike-a-swan
    Trailspirit, that's fantastic, cheers. Just the sort of thing I was looking for! I'm sure you'll all be happy to know I seem to be suffering no ill effects- cranked out just shy of 60 miles today, felt the strongest I have in a while!
  • Papa Smurf
    Papa Smurf Posts: 776
    I have to carry one too now after discovering I too have Anaphylaxis, but mine was caused by over 400 stings (3 guesses as to my hobby!)

Ask your GP about being refered to a Toxicologist/Allergist for de-sensitisation. It's a 3 year course of injections starting out at 1 a week for 8-10 weeks then every 6 weeks for 3 years.
    I'm about 4 months into my course and I no longer react to the stings, but I still carry a Epipen for safety's sake.

Always a good idea to familiarize everyone your riding with how to use one, as shockingly 80% of people who inject someone in need do it the wrong way round and end up jabbing themselves!
  • joec1
    joec1 Posts: 494
    Hiya Buddy,

Im a first Aid Trainer from a well known Volountary Organisation, and we generally teach (as we were tought) that Epipens are usually either in a bag, or pocket.

Most of the people i know who have need for one, use a small bumbag (not the camp looking type) but the one that holds travel money safely...alternatively an ipod style sports arm band would be ideal ;)

its worth also mentioning that you ought to tell others around you where it is, incase you need help finding it.

All the best.
    www.settingascene.com - MTBing in Wilts and the southwest, join up for info and ride details.
  • pte1643
    Papa Smurf wrote:
    mine was caused by over 400 stings (3 guesses as to my hobby!)

Nettle tester??? :lol:
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Roadie for The Police?
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • joec1
    Bee Keeper?
    www.settingascene.com - MTBing in Wilts and the southwest, join up for info and ride details.
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    joec1 wrote:
    Bee Keeper?

Now that's just silly - beehave!
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • having it on the pocket in your camelpack or saddle bag is fine it useally takes around 1 min i belive for a full shock to cripple you anyhow so you should be ok with it inside your pack.

it shouldnt ruin your bike ride worrying about such things just take the right steps like having it near and also maybe wear a wrist band telling people that you need one.

(i say this in case you suffer a black out for some reson somone passing by can see your wrist band and knows what to do, my friend has one for his and also his t2 diab)
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • Anonymous
    I wouldn't risk it in a saddle bag. I've seen plenty of them open by themselves, or just fall off.
    The last thing you need if you've been stung is to find that your saddle bag has jetissoned your epipen.
  • BigShot
    BigShot Posts: 151
    A couple of points about epipens.

1> They go out of date. I heard a tale of a doctor who died after being stung and using his out-of-date epipen, which didn't work at all.

2> (This, I was told by a beekeeper with allergies.) An epipen isn't a cure. It's a way to buy time. If stung you need the epi to stop the reaction (and I'm sure he said something about carrying antihistamine if it could take a while to get to hospital) and then hot-foot it to hospital to get help. He told a tale of someone using an epipen and then carrying on like nothing happened and getting into a bit of bother later on.

Some thoughts anyway. I imagine your doc told you about all this but it's always worth a mention.
  • Anonymous
    Very true about the Epipen just giving you time.
    I'm surprised that anyone who needs to carry one would not know that.
  • joec1
    BigShot wrote:
    2> (This, I was told by a beekeeper with allergies.) An epipen isn't a cure. It's a way to buy time. If stung you need the epi to stop the reaction (and I'm sure he said something about carrying antihistamine if it could take a while to get to hospital) and then hot-foot it to hospital to get help. He told a tale of someone using an epipen and then carrying on like nothing happened and getting into a bit of bother later on.

kind of true,

epipens provide adrenalyn which is combatant of itching of the skin, a nettle like rash, swelling of your lips, tongue, throat, hands and feet, flushing, weak pulse, tightening of the chest, difficulty in breathing, fall in blood pressure and in some cases loss of consciousness.

depending on the seriousness of the reaction depends on how effective the epipen will be (think of it in the term of stings... if stung once, it might be perfect and you would be fine again, but if stung by a hundred bees at the same time, then it would not neccesarily work as well)

This will all have been discussed by your doctor, and is personally and individually based (so not really On Topic with the Origional Posters question ;) )

I would use an Ipod arm band like holder, but make sure you put it in a hard case, and have identified its presence to other riders with you.
  • BigShot
    BigShot Posts: 151
    Aye, Joe. Definitely a bit OT. Sometimes worth posting as a reminder though as the story of the Doctor shows, some people do need a reminder once in a while. I suppose it's easy to forget these things when you're carrying something (you will probably never need) on a daily basis.

Thanks for the reply though. I'm lucky enough to not have any sever reactions (as much as my hayfever gets pretty debilitating at times and my allergy to cats makes me chuckle at the thought of cat-genocide, it's nothing compared to some of the really severe ones).