Are you a risk taker?

RTBI
RTBI Posts: 3
edited July 2010 in MTB general
Hi All
I'm a postgraduate student at Bangor University looking to develop a questionnaire to measure risk taking behaviours in high risk sport environments.
I
f you participate in high-risk sports, for example, rock climbing, snowboarding, bouldering, sailing, skateboarding, base jumping, kayaking, trials biking etc, and you have 10 minutes to spare, and fancy winning up to £100, please click on the link below for more details:

http://www.bangor.ac.uk/~pepa28/

PLEASE NOTE: To be in with a chance of winning please email me!!!

Thank you
Comille Bandura
'with permission from bikeradar.com '[/b]

Comments

• joec1
    joec1 Posts: 494
    Completed ;)
    www.settingascene.com - MTBing in Wilts and the southwest, join up for info and ride details.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Done!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Survey fail, wouldn't let me submit, kept saying I had to enter the number of years I'd been doing each activity. Did that, gave up after 3 attempts.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    I listed my main activities as football, mtb & snowboarding.

I've have been doing all three so long that the limit of 30 injuries is nowhere near enough! :D
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Done. Though I think some of the terminology is very subjective... My "dangerous" isn't likely to be the same as someone else's "dangerous". I think it'll be hard to bring any level of objectivity to the material.

Here's an idea for an improved survey methodology:
    1) Build a new black graded XC / AM trail, something about 20k with some gnarly descents, rock gardens, some drops (maybe up to a meter) and a few opportunities to get some air.
    2) Hang about at the start and survey riders about how they've prepared for their 1st run on the trail.
    3) Secretly observe behaviours at specific obstacles (does anyone stop and scope out a landing or do they just fling themselves into the drop / jump / descent).
    4) Publish hillarious crash footage on YouTube
    5) Publish outstanding academic paper and get degree.

Build it near my house and I'll fill in the survey as many times as you like :D

In all seriousness, it'd be interesting to see some material about percieved danger / risk and actual riding behaviour in respect of an objectively assessed obstacle or section of trail.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Daz555 wrote:
    have been doing all three so long that the limit of 30 injuries is nowhere near enough! :D
    same here with the mountain biking!
  • BG2000
    BG2000 Posts: 517
    Qs. 11 and 17 are the same thing really.

A question you could have had is : when you last sustained an injury, did you consider it your fault, or just bad luck ?

Or: do you take greater risks when carrying out your activity with other people ?

Or: List anything that has made you decide to take less risks (for example, becoming a parent)

I agree that the injury list is a tricky one to complete. It's hard to remember for a start, and even harder to recall how many 'Common Injuries' I've had. I listed many, as any epic ride I do results in saddle sores, cuts, bruises etc.. but I wouldn't list 'fracture' as a common injury. Well, perhaps it is, but if I enter '30' as a figure, you may think I've had 30 fractures, although you'd notice that I've only needed hospital treatment once.

But it's a great topic overall, and an interesting one to be studying. Personally, I'm more scared of becoming terminally ill (e.g. cancer) than getting injured on a bike. I'm probably more at risk commuting to work by bike every day than when I go nuts at Llandegla... I certainly worry a bit more as I get older - I've got much more to lose now.
  • Richie63
    Richie63 Posts: 2,132
    The last quessie/rate one. There are always going to be people who are more safety Nazies than yourself and will always regard your actions/decisions as unsafe, a pointless quessie really :roll:
    I'm going to blow the bank on a new build ( within reason ) NOW DONE!!
    http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss14 ... 010362.jpg
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    BG2000 wrote:
    Personally, I'm more scared of becoming terminally ill (e.g. cancer) than getting injured on a bike.
    I'm with you on that one. I'm not particularly scared of pain, or death. Suffering is the only thing I'm really scared of.
  • RTBI
    RTBI Posts: 3
    Thank you for all your comments. It is the first study of its kind and appreciate your input and advice and will definatley take it on board.

For those of you that filled out the questionnaire, a big thank you!

I am hoping to reach the 300 mark by Monday, 206 so far so appreciate all your help!
  • omaha
    omaha Posts: 120
    Done
    If i win the money give it to a charity
    a bike with round rubbery things
    another bike with springy bits on it
    another bike with too few gears
  • richen
    richen Posts: 156
    good luck with it sounds interesting.

+1 for above, any cancer charity would be good.
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    Online surveys are just too risky to me. Sorry.
  • A question that i would like to see asked is:

What blood group are you ?

A survey i have been involved in before and done or been tested for has been Blood type,
    Way too much info to hijack this particular thread with but one particular blood group stands out as a bigger risk taker than all the others.
  • rhyko7
    rhyko7 Posts: 781
    well i just realised how dangerous and unstable i am lol.
    nah i don't do anything where i think i will crash, although i must admit a lot of things i have done have been pretty 50/50 especially testing jumps.

no offence but its not the most concise survey, its very objective as said above one persons dangerous is anothers walk in the park. it comes down to how you asess the risks and how confident you are with your own ability
    Dont look at it-ride it! they are tools not f*cking ornaments

my riding:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/rhyspect

Some of my Rides Data/maps:
    http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/Users/527337
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    Done...

Pain: It's the first reminder that you've actually survived
  • gazeddy
    gazeddy Posts: 305
    done it
    I rode what you dug last summer
  • Done!
    Old hockey players never die - they just smell that way...