Saxo Moaning... Again

disgruntledgoat
disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
edited July 2010 in Pro race
Not content with deciding when they race it seems Saxo have a few thoughts about where too!

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/schleck ... n-the-tour

Slightly tongue in cheek, as the story is pretty light on quotes, but seriously its the Tour de France, surely any damn road the organisers lay on is suitable? Don't like it, don't ride it.
"In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    He thinks he is a more complete rider than Contador.........

I am afraid he is omtting the fact that Contador was caught behind the crash like most other riders and then rode like a Champion over the cobbles to limit the damage. Andy simply sat on Cancellara's wheel and did a few pulls (nothing wrong with that on a stage like this)

Regarding his opinion on the type of stage, I guess when your best teammate and brother goes out like that, a comment like that isn't surprising.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Deegs
    Deegs Posts: 74
    Read it carefully- says cobbles success makes him a more complete rider. Not necessarily comparing himself to anyone else.

Why no cobbles in the TdF? He'll be grinding over the Tourmalet, shouting "murderers!" at the organisers next :lol:
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    It is up to ASO to decide what the ingredients of the Tour de France are.

It is then up to the teams and riders to decide whether or not they wish to participate. If they don't like it (ie cobbles, steep shaded roads in the Ardeness etc), don't participate. There's plenty of other riders who will jump at the chance.

And where does this informed wisdom come from, given that neither of them have even won a Grand Tour, let alone the TdF?!

Shut up and get on with it. Or don't take part.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,813
    I think they should be in pretty much every year.

mix it up more

the causeway is a bit silly thou am i right its just being used for the roll out?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Would he complain if he'd stayed upright?

It's important to remember that they didn't select the hardest cobbled sections and nor did they add too many kilometres of them either. Saxo had Cancellara, Breschel, O'Grady and Voigt to help, so if anything they were making life harder for the others.

It's still a shame to see Frank Schleck out but that's just a racing incident and worse, his crash seems to have been caused by his own wobbly riding. I hope he recovers well, it might be interesting to see if he has a tilt at the Vuelta.
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    What a set of whining Saxo-Bankers.

For the Schlecks to be handing out lectures about what is and what isn't fit for the Tour de France is laughable. In the past we have seen riding at night, unpaved Apline passes on 2 gears, 500km stages and Tours of upto 5,745 km. They should think themselves lucky at how soft the route planning has become over the years.

Stage 3 was to Paris-Roubaix what Ben Nevis is to Everest - it was a heavily diluted superficial homage to the pave of Northern France, for TV and fans, nothing more. There was a relatively small amount of well-spaced sectors, with only one, which could be considered hard. No Carrefour de L'Arbe, no Arenberg Forrest etc.

Bottom line was Frank Schleck is a useless bike-handler who simply fell, when under minimal pressure. Given the amount of time he spends on the deck, you would like to think he'd learned how to fall properly.

With Wiggo fading into obscurity on GC, I don't have any strong thoughts about who wins - as long as it's not a Saxo-Bank rider.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Woah, you came back for a 2nd post of anger as the first wasn't enough!

I agree with most of what you are saying.

This was quite funny:
    "I talked with Lance Armstrong too today and he gave me a Livestrong bracelet, without paying,"
    I guess it is payment for saying they should have waited for Lance...
    Contador is the Greatest
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    What a set of whining Saxo-Bankers.

For the Schlecks to be handing out lectures about what is and what isn't fit for the Tour de France is laughable. In the past we have seen riding at night, unpaved Apline passes on 2 gears, 500km stages and Tours of upto 5,745 km. They should think themselves lucky at how soft the route planning has become over the years.

Stage 3 was to Paris-Roubaix what Ben Nevis is to Everest - it was a heavily diluted superficial homage to the pave of Northern France, for TV and fans, nothing more. There was a relatively small amount of well-spaced sectors, with only one, which could be considered hard. No Carrefour de L'Arbe, no Arenberg Forrest etc.

Bottom line was Frank Schleck is a useless bike-handler who simply fell, when under minimal pressure. Given the amount of time he spends on the deck, you would like to think he'd learned how to fall properly.

With Wiggo fading into obscurity on GC, I don't have any strong thoughts about who wins - as long as it's not a Saxo-Bank rider.

It's like you read my mind....
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    correct me if i'm wrong but didn't the tour always used to include part of the pave from Paris Roubaix anyway ? Anyone know what year it stopped being included ?