itv 4

speedbump
speedbump Posts: 416
edited July 2010 in Pro race
Haven't been on any message boards for ages but had to come back to say that ITV4 is absolutely terrible. I don't like watching adverts with some stupid cycling getting in the way every half an hour!

Comments

• warrior4life
    warrior4life Posts: 925
    Huh?
  • Abdoujaparov
    Abdoujaparov Posts: 642
    speedbump wrote:
    Haven't been on any message boards for ages but had to come back to say that ITV4 is absolutely terrible. I don't like watching adverts with some stupid cycling getting in the way every half an hour!

Know what you mean. I was just sitting down earlier for my daily fix of advertising on ITV4 when they suddenly start showing some bloody cycling! Thankfully it only lasted for a minute or two and I was back to a solid 15 minutes of great quality ads.

A tip for any fellow ad watchers out there - when your ad viewing pleaure on ITV4 is interrupted, quickly switch over to eurosport and you mght get some more ads to tide you over before the cycling starts again. The calibre of ad is a little higher too...something about adaptive lenses...
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    record it, start watching an hour late (use the time to do some good in the world)

fast forward all the advets.

da daaaaaaa
  • domhopson
    domhopson Posts: 259
    The only good thing about ITV 4 is Gary Imlach.
  • Abdoujaparov
    Might have mentioned this somewhere on the forum before, but I saw Gary Imlach outside my office a while back. Just as I recognised him, he looked at me and, because he probably isn't recognised randomly in public much, he must have thought he knew me from somewhere so turned around and started walking over! He quickly realised that I must be some random cycling fan, turned again and walked swiftly off!

Seriously random moment (and probably the worst celeb spot ever), but there you go. :lol:
  • Scrumple wrote:
    record it, start watching an hour late (use the time to do some good in the world)

da daaaaaaa

The only way to deal with ITV4. Good advice.
  • Scrumple
    gets their hour long highlights into 20 minutes speedlights
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    domhopson wrote:

I think Ned Boulting and Matt Rendell are pretty good too. And they pull together a good highlights package. It may not be good for the experts, but remember, we got drawn into the sport by Channel 4's half hour Tour highlights, not by Eurosport's three hour coverage of the Tour of Poland
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Neil McC
    Neil McC Posts: 625
    RichN95 wrote:
    domhopson wrote:

I think Ned Boulting and Matt Rendell are pretty good too. And they pull together a good highlights package. It may not be good for the experts, but remember, we got drawn into the sport by Channel 4's half hour Tour highlights, not by Eurosport's three hour coverage of the Tour of Poland

+1

Boulting, Rendell, Imlach & Boardman are great imo.

Plus there's the added benefit of the highlights being on when they're supposed to be! No need to record 2 or 3 programmes either side to make sure you record the highlights.

Have to say however that when I watch live I watch Eurosport. Just the highlights package and it's reliable timing are useful on ITV4.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    yeah - Ned is ace and Matt is pretty good too. Boardman is good as well I think and if you record the highlights, you get everything you missed in 20min with the fast forward button.

eurosport for the long game, ITV4 for the short.
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    I just love the ITV theme music. Every time I hear it it makes me smile
  • oscarbudgie
    oscarbudgie Posts: 850
    No I'm Tyler Farrar
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    Yeah, I watched it today because I've been getting fed up of the Eurosport recording on my V+ box being something totally different.

The coverage was good - they had a lot of good interviews that i haven't seen on Eurosport - just a shame about the ads as you say - the Halfords thing annoys me too.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • Neil McC
    Neil McC Posts: 625
    k-dog wrote:
    Yeah, I watched it today because I've been getting fed up of the Eurosport recording on my V+ box being something totally different.

Recording the highlghts of the Giro is a right old mission, even more so than the tour! Often have to record the highlights the morning after. The Giro being even worse because French Open tennis seems to get priority, with recorded motorcycle racing on Eurosport 2! :x
  • Scrumple
    RichN95 wrote:
    And they pull together a good highlights package. It may not be good for the experts

Why? Nothing else happens on the race worth watching. Most of the stuff they cut out is a pelaton just riding... nothing an expert wouldn't be ok to do without. I reckon.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,813
    Neil McC wrote:

+1

Boulting, Rendell, Imlach & Boardman are great imo.

+2

i watch just for Boardmans take...gary has a engaging sarcastic tone

ned and matt.. just the right amount of intelligent cynicism on the podcasts

up to 20mins of ads in a hour slot thou..... yes i timed it

phil and paul... pfftt
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Scrumple wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    And they pull together a good highlights package. It may not be good for the experts

Why? Nothing else happens on the race worth watching. Most of the stuff they cut out is a peloton just riding... nothing an expert wouldn't be ok to do without. I reckon.

I said may. I agree with you, but others have moaned about it.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • grantus
    grantus Posts: 690
    was that boardman's 3500 quid bike going up the laurent jalabert climb?

needs a new bottom bracket or a bit of lube on the cranks!
  • Abdoujaparov
    grantus wrote:

Sounded shocking!

Anyone notice gary imlach saying schleck nicked 10 seconds from contador going up to station de rousses? Oops.

And what was that commentator (paul sherwen?) calling rodriguez? Sounded like 'Joachim' in an anglo-german accent to me. Random.

They didn't see contador's attack for about 5 seconds either.

Prefer eurosport myself.
  • Birillo
    Birillo Posts: 417
    The highlight of ITV 4's coverage is surely Sherwen's hair. It looks as dark as a bat's wing. I'm so transfixed whenever he comes on screen that I don't notice what he says (so it's not all bad).
  • tomb8555
    tomb8555 Posts: 229
    grantus wrote:

I'm pretty sure it's not a boardman frame. I'm pretty sure it's a blacked-out BMC. Look at the seat stay / toptube junction and the very flat boxy top tube behind the head tube. Same groupset/wheels as the Boardman RP though so guess he's trying to make it look like one.
  • Airwave
    Airwave Posts: 483
    The ads are small price to pay for freeview live cycling.I've fed off mainly the highlights & a few weekend live progs of the TDF on itv4&channel 4 for over 20yrs.To have it on everyday live is a real plus.Phil Ligget is the voice of the tour for me,i know he & Paul Sherwin ramble on a bit but that's ok by me :lol:
  • grantus
    grantus Posts: 690
    quite liked phil saying "sastre is no longer the man he is"

also he said renshaw was harshly treated as none of the riders who fought the other day after the stage got "described" obviously meant disqualified

certain they do most of it on purpose! love it.
  • simon johnson
    simon johnson Posts: 1,064
    I'm watching Eurosport and then ITV highlights, mainly for Boulting, Imlach and Boardman.

Sean Kelly's commentary seems to have improved 1000% , or it may be the Ligget and Sherwen effect.....
    Where\'s me jumper?
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    tomb8555 wrote:
    grantus wrote:

I'm pretty sure it's not a boardman frame. I'm pretty sure it's a blacked-out BMC. Look at the seat stay / toptube junction and the very flat boxy top tube behind the head tube. Same groupset/wheels as the Boardman RP though so guess he's trying to make it look like one.

Boardman has said it's one of his and has suggested it's a prototype he's worked on possibly for next year's range. Think it's unstickered as would be deemed in-programe advertising which I don't think is allowed in UK.
  • grantus wrote:
    quite liked phil saying "sastre is no longer the man he is"

Yes, I had a giggle with that one. A couple of days ago he also said - I think it was about Contador- that he was ''smoothing pedally.''
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Scrumple wrote:

With ITV4, Record to the Hard Drive allow for extra time.
    Later nip through and delete adverts, quizes and any other B/S.

Much later relax and watch but if it needs fast forward then that could be deleted.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • garryc
    garryc Posts: 203
    The weird noise that Boardman's bike seems to make is actualy coming from a Seqway that the cameraman is on. It was explained the other night.

The coverage of the Tour on ITV4 is great. I sky+ it and watch later so I can whizz through the ads. I have Eurosport as well but I've had the end cut off too many times to bother watching it.
  • StefanP
    StefanP Posts: 429
    I've been watching the mountain stages live and sprint stage highlights... recorded of course, last time I was watching it live I was jumping up and down during the ad-breaks (of course it doesn't beat Virgin1's 8 minute break during Austin Powers :P )
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    Airwave wrote:
    Phil Ligget is the voice of the tour for me

Well said. Even if I had Eurosport, that's the reason I'd watch ITV4 anyway :)