Cycling fashion

bespoked
bespoked Posts: 6
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi Guys,

Im Currently in the process of completing a brief for the boom in urban cyclists and fashion. I wondered if you could help me out a bit?

It would be much appreciated and will only take a couple of minutes. Hope you all understand we have to do our job :P

1. What is your favourite cycling brand? Why?
2. What do you look for in your cycling clothing?
3. What is your favourite cycling accessory?
4. If you could invent anything to make cycling everday easier, what would it be?
5. What does cycling mean to you? Is it just travel? Or is it a fashion accessory?

Any more comments you think would help would be much appreciated.
Thankyou so much for your time and if it would be easier to email me with the answers then go ahead!

adora_alas@hotmail.co.uk

Thanks again!

Terri-Leigh

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Anything that contains Merino wool. If I had to pick a brand, Gore because its always worked as it should.

Functionality followed closely by appearance. It has to work flawlessly but not look daft.

Ortlieb pannier bags.

4. If you could invent anything to make cycling everday easier, what would it be?
    Anything? A force field to shield from wind and cars.

5. What does cycling mean to you? Is it just travel? Or is it a fashion accessory?
    Its a means of travel and fitness. I've scrapped my car and have started training for triathlon.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    bespoked wrote:

Seriously now.
  • bespoked
    seriously. Im trying to give options?? they are not the only two.

Thanks ipete :)
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    edited July 2010
    Can't say I have one.

Low price, comfort, functionality, and lurid colours!

Hmm. I think I enjoy my SPD pedals plus my highly amusing SPD shoes most: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sarawallen/3597316109/ (edit: note the 'Intelligent' script on the velcro strap!!)
    Although I have done a bit of colour-coordinating with regards my saddle and handlebar grips (both a tan leather colour) which amuses me greatly :)

4. If you could invent anything to make cycling everyday easier, what would it be?
    A strong, virtually unbreakable lock which is LIGHT and that wraps itself around the bike and stand/post with a minimum of effort!
    Also (though I gather these already exist but I've forgotten their name), lightweight non-resistive 'dynamo' style FIXED lights.

Mostly travel, and keep-fit, and getting to places it isn't worth driving to but quite a slog to walk to... Though I like it when people tell me I have a 'sweet bike' hah!

My main gripe with cycling is that I'm somewhere between those people who just jump on the bike with no helmet, maybe in a skirt, normal pedals, and just pootle to get about - AND the more serious commuters road-cyclists... so I end up faffing with helmet, locks, SPD shoes, hivis, lycra etc - when at times I'd like the freedom just to coast off.
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • ndru
    ndru Posts: 382
    None - I wear my usual clothes
    For the same things I look for in my casual clothes - comfortable and in good colours
    Mittens
    No idea - after a little bit of thought - a lock, just one, that would replace the need for any other locks and a stand.
    Cycling is the best mode of transport.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    None, I buy on functionality alone.
    Simplicity, minimal visible branding (I am not a billboard) and functionality
    My track pump!
    Something to defeat the damn headwinds that only appear when you're going uphill
    Transport first, then fitness generator then fashion accessory......I admit I like to look good. :P
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • bespoked
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    bespoked wrote:

1. What is your favourite cycling brand? Why? - Haven't got one. I'm not a vain cyclist or brand aware

2. What do you look for in your cycling clothing? Hi visibility, pockets, durability

3. What is your favourite cycling accessory? halfords bike hut bar bag. - got it dirt cheap its totally waterproof and is the best size for carrying my keys wallet, a book and netbook and is quite unobtrusive off the bike

4. If you could invent anything to make cycling everday easier, what would it be? a tailwind generator with integrated hill flatenner

5. What does cycling mean to you? Is it just travel? Or is it a fashion accessory? no offence but they're lame options - especially on a bike website Cycling is fun, it energises me in the morning and I get rid of all the stresses of work on the way home, it gives me freedom to come and go as I please I get right into the heart of town and park up for nothing, I can pick far nicer and more interesting routes about than a car gives me. theres a friendlier vibe and you can get to have a wee chat with a fellow human being whilst travelling
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113

Altura. Decent stuff, resonably priced, made in Britain.

Good design, good quality, affordable, made in Britain.

Carradice saddlebag. Traditional design and made in Britain.

A device for jamming signals to mobile phones used by motorists.

I care naught for cycling fashion. My bike is quick, cheap, reliable and keeps me awesomely fit.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385

Altura.

Cheap due to it being for commuting.

gloves

some sort of super glasses that keep everything away including rain/sweat.

Travel without a doubt though if I'm out for leisure I'm a little conscious of what I'm wearing.
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782

There are sooooo many I'm suffering from brand fatigue. I could answer with something aspirational, like Look, even though I'll probably never actually own a Look bike or even accessories - I just consider them to be on the cutting edge of design and technology due to their general media 'aura'. I wouldn't call it my favourite, but Kryptonite made a strong impression on me with their apparent dedication to research and reputation for toughness - making me happy to shell out a fair wodge for a top-end Kryptonite lock that received good reviews from trusted sources. Clothes-wise, Northwave consistently produce the designs that appeal to my taste but I haven't purchased anything of theirs yet except some socks, and only because they were on clearance. I'm a reverse snob when it comes to everyday clothes draped in corporate logos, but for some reason this sensitivity goes out the window when it comes to bike gear and I'm seriously considering buying this masterpiece of understatement!

Reasonable price above all - I feel like I'm being taken advantage of if cycling clothing is obviously the same as non-cycling gear but is marked up. Then functionality - it must be fit for purpose. Then design. All of these categories must be met!

I do like my Kryptonite Fahgeddaboutit Mini. It's a reassuringly well-designed product. I'm also fond of my Bushwhacker Mesa pannier bag, small but sturdy. It also has snob value for being an extremely rare sight in the UK.

Something light that could fix your bike to any surface and cover it so you could happily leave it anywhere without worrying about it going missing or being damaged.

It's a way to save vast amounts of money, improve my health and save time. If me and/or the bike look good doing it, so much the better!
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    bespoked wrote:
    Hi Guys,

Im Currently in the process of completing a brief for the boom in urban cyclists and fashion. I wondered if you could help me out a bit?

D'you mean the hipster idiots that give the rest of us a bad name? You want lfgss.com...
    bespoked wrote:
    It would be much appreciated and will only take a couple of minutes. Hope you all understand we have to do our job :P

And what is your job? Market research?

If I had to pick one, Northwave. They have a great women's range, do a fair line in tasteful without being idiotic, and don't pander to the fashionistas or pastel-lovers. And, which is more, it all works/fits. For jerseys, though, Shutt VR. Nail. Head.

Good fit, flattering, comfortable cut, breathable, wicking fabric, not stupid girly rubbish.

What do you mean? My favourite cycling accessory would totally be my louis vuitton, daaahling. Oh no, wait... If you mean anything I'd have to pick my SPD sandals. Great for touring, let me clip in without having to suffer hot feet. Love 'em.

Some kind of force-field. And an elite police force on road bikes who have to be able to maintain 25mph, who enforce traffic laws...

So, to whom is cycling a fashion accessory? Again, maybe you want LFGSS. It's the best way to get from A to B in London.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Nothing really, I buy what is cheap and works well.

As above.

DX MTE P7 torches

An engine...

My hobby, my job, my life. Cycling fashion is those that ride fixies and singlespeed when they would be so much better off with gears :wink:
  • bunter
    bunter Posts: 327
    I have no brand loyalty and no money to buy expensive branded stuff unless it offers a clear functional advantage. I suppose the Assos stuff looks quite nice but I can't see myself ever buying any.

functional, cheap, not too embarrassing to be seen in

I did just splash out on an ortlieb velocity rucksack that I am pretty chuffed with

a completely silent, 100% efficient, maintenance free drivechain that is lighter than current tech.

fun, fitness and feeling good.
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Altura is the only cycling brand stuff I've got. I've not needed to replace them yet. Sizing is good, looks good, feels good, durable. Most days I wear a pair of cargo's from Debenhams though :oops:

Comfort, something I can wear off the bike too, nothing too expensive. I've tons of Merino tops because they dry quick and don't stink :)

My cheap old Shimano MTB SPD shoes. They are nearly 10 years old and still going strong.

A car zapper, failing that, something that would make rim brakes work in the wet.

Free travel, independence, fun, fitness. Never thought of it as a fashion accessory before - does anyone really think it is? :shock:
  • rml380z
    rml380z Posts: 244
    I think you've come to the wrong place for fashion; this section is all about practicality and getting to work as efficiently as possible.
    ...and as if to prove the point;

Wiggle; cheap and you get free sweeties and key-rings.

Same as all my other clothing; it fits, it does it's job and it's decent value for money.

My legs. To steal a quote; they've been my greatest supporters over the years.

Safer roads.

Fun, the most practical, cheap and efficient way of getting round town, great for fitness, competitive, fun.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    1. What is your favourite cycling brand? Why? Whatever's on offer

2. What do you look for in your cycling clothing? Price, Durability

3. What is your favourite cycling accessory? don't really have one.

4. If you could invent anything to make cycling everday easier, what would it be? everlasting drivetrain, puncture proof tyres that roll like race tyres, ultrasonic shower at work, portable AC field so that I arrive at work fresh and sweat free.

5. What does cycling mean to you? Is it just travel? Or is it a fashion accessory? travel, fitness, cheaper than buying a second car.
  • CrackFox
    CrackFox Posts: 287

SIDI. Perfect fit and they're built to last. And you can buy replacement parts, should you ever need them.

Good fit. Nothing loose or flappy.

Either my waterproof overshoes or my Sealskins winter gloves.

A bike-mounted shrink ray to fire at all the super-morbidly obese SUVs that clog the narrow roads on my commute like fat in an artery.

A fashion accessory. All the top models will be pedaling rust-spotted mid-90s chromoly mountain bikes like mine up and down the catwalks of Paris and Milan next year.
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    dhb (Wiggle's own brand) - value for money
    price/performance
    SPEG Union Jack top
    Remove all traffic lights.
    Fitness, time, lifestyle, tours.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Gore and Castelli. Gore because I find that it is extremely well engineered to keep me dry and warm. Castelli because it's very comfy and very cool.

It must fit closely enough for you to be able to guess my religion.

Ortleib Velocity Rucksack

A tailwind.

It's fun and it's exercise.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    Don't have one. I am not a brand whore.

It has to work well firstly, be reasonably priced secondly and look ok lastly.

Really enjoying my magicshine light from hongkong...mountain biking at night is great!

everyday cycling is perfectly easy.

travel, fun, fitness as a side affect...fashion? seriously...have you seen how ridiculous we all look!
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • rjeffroy
    rjeffroy Posts: 638

Rapha. What a great brand. Love the image, the logo, the website, the visuals, the associations. I feel that it speaks to me. Hate the actual stuff though (too expensive, quickly falls to pieces). Never buy it.

I wear my club kit almost exclusively - so what I am looking for is the club name.

My Lumicycle lights - can't recommend them enough.

Don't need a new invention. Existing technology can fix potholes and provide safe bike parking. It just needs to be used.

I'm addicted.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I don't have a goto brand, I pick and choose as certain things from a 'label' work for me
    Sidi, Rapha, Campag, Assos, Swrve are places I tend to shop

Quality, fit for purpose, look good imo

Very impressed with my Fabic Horse belt d-lock holster at the moment

a magic shield to deflect headwinds

Freedom, fun, exercise, getting from a to b
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • bespoked
    Thanks everyone for your answers :)

And lost_in_thought - its sad really that you think you are being controversial and unique in your snide little comments when ive had that boring crap from many others. If you dont like the questions then simply dont look at them. Im glad you have time and effort to be so miserable towards something you dont care about. And no i dont work in market research. Im actually a designer trying to find out what cyclists want in their clothing. Its funny that people dont know when someone is trying to help.

:)

Bespoked
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    bespoked wrote:

And lost_in_thought - its sad really that you think you are being controversial and unique in your snide little comments when ive had that boring crap from many others. If you dont like the questions then simply dont look at them. Im glad you have time and effort to be so miserable towards something you dont care about. And no i dont work in market research. Im actually a designer trying to find out what cyclists want in their clothing. Its funny that people dont know when someone is trying to help.

Bespoked

you put leading questions in, thats why I didn't answer. one silly reply is quite lucky to be honest.
  • claash
    claash Posts: 145
    love pearl izumi bottoms (the padding is comfortable and that makes me a happy bunny) n tops: Castelli.... because the material feels nice and is functional, Primal because they have great designs( I like tops that are different and stand out a bit.)

Comfort, functionality and a good dose of fun n style.

Love my Ay up lights in winter and my Patagonia "hand/ courier bag" all year round.

A spare pair of lungs which are in excellent condition and would get me up hills easier

Had a bit of a sad period recently where Cycling was a slog and just my cmomute....am currently working on getting the fun back into it!

:lol:
  • Dudu
    Dudu Posts: 4,637
    edited July 2010
    Campagnolo. Because it's cool and traditional

Comfort

A speedo

A wind "off" button and a hill iron

Pleasure. Convenience. Speed. Not fashion.
    bespoked wrote:

Bespoked

You seem to fail to get that most cyclists are pretty practical people. It's the nature of the sport.

We'd happily wear stuff which makes us look ridiculous (okay, a lot of us do wear stuff that makes us look ridiculous) if it performs well at the job we need it to do.

Stuff which works is far more important than stuff which looks pretty.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Aidy wrote:
    bespoked wrote:

Bespoked

You seem to fail to get that most cyclists are pretty practical people. It's the nature of the sport.

We'd happily wear stuff which makes us look ridiculous (okay, a lot of us do wear stuff that makes us look ridiculous) if it performs well at the job we need it to do.

Stuff which works is far more important than stuff which looks pretty.

By we are also a bunch of tarts. If we weren't then you wouldn't be able to buy multi coloured spkes, chains and a bewildering array of bar tape.

I only noticed last week that all my cycling stuff is working towards being red white and black and this must, subconsiously, be one of my criteria for selecting clothes.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Asprilla wrote:
    I only noticed last week that all my cycling stuff is working towards being red white and black and this must, subconsiously, be one of my criteria for selecting clothes.

Tut.

Orange is totally where it's at.