Essex 100

jamlala
jamlala Posts: 284
edited September 2010 in Sportives/audaxes/training rides
Hi all - just signed up for the 100 mile version of this race on Sun 5th Sept. Anyone else doing it or anyone done it before?

Cheers
Cannondale Supersix 105 2013- summer bike - love it!
Cannondale CAAD12 - racing fun!
Trek Crockett 5 - CX bike, muddy fun!
Scott Scale 940 MTB XC racer.
__@    
_`\<,_   
---- (*)/ (*)

Comments

• brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    Stll consodering whether to do it. Will do the L2S on Sunday and make a decision after that. I am only 5 weeks back into cycling after a 3-4 year layoff. I'll let you know.

Saw that you are supporting your wife on Sunday. I'll be on my Cannondale weariing Liquigas Team Kit, come and say hello if we pass.

Brett
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    edited August 2010
    Did it last year and will again this year.

1st class sportive.

Great route, good feed stations and big crowd.

Only gripe is signing queue was very long need to have a few more attending to this.

Edit: Whoops I got this confused with Essex Roads CC Autumn Leaves ride.
  • brettjmcc
    Just signed up this morning
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    I like Carbon
  • simon johnson
    simon johnson Posts: 1,064
    I wouldn't mind doing this but can't see that trains from London are any use to me on Sunday mornings at that time...

If anybody's going from London has a spare place and would be willing to take me and a bike then I'll gladly pay petrol...worth a try I suppose!

Simon.
    Where\'s me jumper?
  • brettjmcc
    Simon,
    There's a 6:35 train that gets into Brentwood at 7:11. I could pick you up from there and take you up to the start and drop you off afterwards if you want.

Brett
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    I like Carbon
  • simon johnson
    simon johnson Posts: 1,064
    brettjmcc wrote:
    Simon,
    There's a 6:35 train that gets into Brentwood at 7:11. I could pick you up from there and take you up to the start and drop you off afterwards if you want.

Brett

Hello Brett,

Many thanks for the kind offer, that'd be great. I've not booked myself a place yet so I'll get on with that and let you know. Thanks again.

Simon.
    Where\'s me jumper?
  • Broaders
    Broaders Posts: 89
    Just entered this myself. First event of this sort I have entered, really looking forward to it!
    Boardman AIR 9.8, Zipp 303 Clinchers, SRAM red groupset.
  • brettjmcc
    I was bored, so decided to map it our pn MapMyRide. Here's the link if anyone wants to have look: http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-ki ... 8069182631
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    I like Carbon
  • Hi all,

Have just signed up for this...might be slightly nuts seeing as I've not done this distance before (done some 60milers on an MTB) and am not picking up my roadie until next week.

Am looking forward to it with some nervousness but think it will be fun...if any of you guys are going out on a training run at the weekends do you mind if I tag along?

Should say ive been on here for a while now lurking about so hi as well!
    Cheers
    Richard
    Its Italian, its carbon.....and some lanky tool rides it.
  • explosifpete
    explosifpete Posts: 1,327
    if you type the code cwamr when booking it will give you a tenner off (if i've got this wrong check ccling weekly as the code is in there)
  • brettjmcc
    richard205 wrote:

if any of you guys are going out on a training run at the weekends do you mind if I tag along?

Richard,
    Where are you based?
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    I like Carbon
  • brettjmcc
    Looks as though (according to the BBC andmet office) it will be 17/18 and cloudy.

What will be people be carrying with them kit wise?
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    I like Carbon
  • jamlala
    Says 20 and sunny intervals on BBC website, whic probably means it'll be raining! I'm going to chance it and just go with no 'extra' kit, as it has been pretty warm this week. If I'm foolish then let me know?!
    __@    
    _`\<,_   
    ---- (*)/ (*)
  • Think I will bring a light second layer for the early morning section, I can always roll it up and put it in my back pocket if it warms up.
  • Just arm warmers and 'man it up' for the early part....

See some of you there tomorrow for the 100 miler?
  • jamlala
    I'm there!
    __@    
    _`\<,_   
    ---- (*)/ (*)
  • jamlala
    Nice event, finished the 100 miles in 6hrs 8 mins 14 seconds which I'm pretty chuffed with on my first 100-miler. Plenty of food, direction in the main absolutely fine (1 or 2 were hard to spot!) but I'd recommend this one to anyone looking for a not too tough 100 miler on the south east.
    __@    
    _`\<,_   
    ---- (*)/ (*)
  • Did it in 6h 31. First 100 ride and have never gone above 60 before.....

Couple of dodgy signs and one fall at a junction were the mishaps. But dont feel too bad right now....sure tomorrowwill be a different story.

Cheers Brett for the latter part of the ride, was starting to suffer a bit. Company was a big help!
  • Thought it was an excellent event, nice people and decent food on the way round. Finished in 5 hours 35. Very chuffed for my first event. Thanks to the fliers how allowed me to stay on their wheel for the first 65 miles!

Richard
  • brettjmcc
    JamLala - did you nick my bike computer... I had the same time LOL

richard, yes, thanks as well. Great to meet you as my head needed some support after cycling solo between the lunch stop and the last feed stop.

My total added another 3 miles after I missed one of the signs and took a 1.5 miles to realise (including a nice dip and hill). Agreed well organised from my perspective and feed stops were well stocked. Just wish some of the signs had been before the junctions.
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    I like Carbon