25m TT... Drink?

hopper1
hopper1 Posts: 4,389
edited July 2010 in Amateur race
Aimed at the regular TTers... on a 25m TT would you:
A) Plan to drink, so take a bottle.
B) Not plan to drink, but take a bottle as back up.
C) Don't drink, no bottle.
Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,557
    I don't normally take one but probably would have in recent weeks (ex-regular slow TTer). Better to have one and not need it is my feeling.
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    C) Don't drink, no bottle.

would`nt consider a bottle for anything under a 30
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • Airwave
    Airwave Posts: 483
    I allways take one.Sometimes i just have swiil around&spit it back out,makes me feel alive again.Better to have it there than wish it was there .But everyone's different.
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    B

There if i need it, sometimes I do, sometimes I dont.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • hopper1
    Cheers guys...
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    I have an aero bottle, so this is always on the bike, as to whether it contains a drink in there, that depends on the temperature. If it is hot and humid, then it would have some fluid in there, probably take a swig of it around the turn point. Even then it has minimal fluid in, just enough, probably about 150ml.
  • hopper1
    Cheers Steve, that's what I was thinking, as I have an aero bottle, too... :wink:
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    a_n_t wrote:
    B

There if i need it, sometimes I do, sometimes I dont.

Probably good to have a bottle - just in case you get lost too. Right Ant? :wink:

My bottle is aero so is almost part of the bike - so it's always there no matter what. I don't drink on a 25 but there's a little bit of fluid in it just in case....
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    Pokerface wrote:
    Probably good to have a bottle - just in case you get lost too. Right Ant? :wink:

:D I could have done with one that night!
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • Never take a bottle for a 25, its too short, and in no fit state to slurp when riding as the effort level is too high. The trick is to hydrate properly beforehand - sip water 2 hrs before the ride, then sip on energy drink 1 hr before, whilst warming up, ideally on a turbo. I always consume a caffeine gel about 15 minutes before the start. Finally, don't drink any alcohol for at least 24 hours ideally 48 hours beforehand either.
  • hopper1
    Took a bottle, with about a mouthful in it...

Never used it... :wink: Couldn't :shock:
  • Dug
    Dug Posts: 153
    I take a bottle in hot conditions as I've occasionally got cramp towards the end of 25s.
  • I'm a non-regular TTer but when I do a 40km I bring a bottle, just to know I have it. There's also an aero advantage apparently in case you need to use that 'excuse' :-)

http://analyticcycling.com/RiderAeroStudy.html