Essex Commute

mrc1
mrc1 Posts: 852
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
Does anybody commute into the City from Essex?

When me and the girlfriend go to her place near Basildon I invariably end up getting the train in, but I'm wondering if I could cycle it. I dont know the area that well but in the car we would go down the A13. Its a pretty sketchy road for cycling, so I wondered if anybody has any other routes or if they can share their experiences of cycling along there?

Cheers
http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1

Comments

• spursn17
    spursn17 Posts: 284
    Where are you going to start from?

There are a couple of routes you can take, basically West Horndon, Upminster, Hornchurch, then Barking or Ilford depending on where you're going in London.

The other option if you're coming from Horndon on the Hill / Stanford-no-Hope / Corringham way is along the old A13 to Barking, then either the bike path along the new A13, or Barking rd through East Ham and Plaistow.
  • The A13 from Lodge Avenue has a very good cycle lane, although a lot of lights to negotiate. I wouldn't travel along there on the road, much too fast with mad drivers. The new average speed cameras might change that soon.
    Never liked Dagenham Town Hall to Barking, very uneven road surface. Through Romford and Ilford isn't too bad KMCYC posts videos ofthat route http://www.youtube.com/user/kmcyc. The A12 isn't as bad as the A13 as there are more traffic lights keeping the cars speed down.
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    I do Dunton (Basildon) to East London most days.

2 routes, one is lit and urban, the other is 40% unlit country lanes and my favourite in the Summer months.

'Urban' route (and 1 mile shorter):
    A127 Bike path for 1 mile, into West Horndon via Thorndon Avenue, St Mary's Lane through Upminster, Hornchurch, Rush Green Road, Wood Lane, Longbridge Lane through Barking.

Nicer but unlit route and slightly longer:
    Lower Dunton Rd, Doesgate Lane, through Bulphan via Fen Lane, Ockendon Lane, Stubbers Lane, Bramble Lane, Warwick Lane, Upmisnter Road North, and then along the A1306 on the bus lanes. At Dagenham I cross to the other side of the road and go down Goresbrook Road.

I used to have to commute right through Basildon and use Old Church Hill and Dry Street every day...that was a killer especially with a laptop in my pannier.
  • mrc1
    I'd be coming from Pitsea (basically on the A13) so I'm probably the wrong side of Basildon for the A127 annoyingly as that doesn't seem too bad. Normal route if I was driving would be along the B1464 until it joins the A13.

Cheers for the advice. Im there again in the car at the weekend so will go for an explore to see if I can find something that looks reasonable.

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • essex-commuter
    mrc1 wrote:
    I'd be coming from Pitsea.

Easy. B1464 to the Five Bells but instead of the A13 chuck a right onto Nether Mayne then left UP Dry street. At the top of Dry Street turn left and then immeadiately right after the church and DOWN Church Lane. You can then follow the Fen Lane route above.

Dry Street and Church Street will keep you fit!
  • mrc1
    mrc1 wrote:

Easy. B1464 to the Five Bells but instead of the A13 chuck a right onto Nether Mayne then left UP Dry street. At the top of Dry Street turn left and then immeadiately right after the church and DOWN Church Lane. You can then follow the Fen Lane route above.

Nice one - cheers.

Along the same lines, are there any decent bikeshops on that route or nearby that i can get any bits and bobs that I need in an emergency?

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • essex-commuter
    mrc1 wrote:
    are there any decent bikeshops on that route or nearby

No bike shops at all as far as I'm aware, although can't be too far away from a Halfords in an emergency. :shock:

Carry a few tools and spares with you, keep the bike in good mechanical order and you will be fine. In the event of a major issue, phone the girlfriend if she has a car or call a taxi and pay when you get home if you don't have enough money on you.

Simples.
  • mrc1
    Thanks again. I had a squiz at the route on multimap and it looks like a nice ride.

Once on Goresbrook road do you folow that through into London?

Whats the approximate mileage of that route? Im guessing circa 35?

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • essex-commuter
    I don't go into London, mine stops near the end of Goresbrook Rd. Others on here may be able to advise you of a route from here but it's out onto the A13 cycle path I would think.

Let me know how you get on if you decide to try it!
  • spursn17
    spursn17 Posts: 284
    mrc1 wrote:
    mrc1 wrote:

Nice one - cheers.

Along the same lines, are there any decent bikeshops on that route or nearby that i can get any bits and bobs that I need in an emergency?

The Fen lane route is what I'd use, although if you didn't want to do the hills go through Stanford town centre/Orsett Cock (it wont let me write c*ck)/Grays.

Not a lot of shops on that route, Halfords, Decathlon, and Evans are all at Lakeside retail park.
  • mrc1
    spursn17 wrote:
    mrc1 wrote:
    mrc1 wrote:

Nice one - cheers.

The Fen lane route is what I'd use, although if you didn't want to do the hills go through Stanford town centre/Orsett fool (it wont let me write c*ck)/Grays.

Not a lot of shops on that route, Halfords, Decathlon, and Evans are all at Lakeside retail park.

Thanks chaps - Il give it a bash next weekend and see how i go.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1