Which fixed/SS...complete newbie!

the_big_gun
the_big_gun Posts: 25
edited August 2010 in Road general
I think i want to get a SS on the bike to work scheme.

I've been riding for years, but have just changed jobs and now have a 20mile commute in each direction and really don't want to smash up my racing machine on a daily commute.

The ride is mainly on undulating country roads, with a couple of little lumps on it and I've ridden it on my current bike without changing gear at all, so i know i can manage it on a single speed.

Basically, i don't know which bike to get as it seems damn near impossible to find a shop to test ride any of the ones i like!!

My main choices are these:
- Giant Bowery '72 2010
- Felt Dispatch 2010 (prefer the white of the 2009, but it's discontinued and i need new for B2W)
- Charge Plug Racer 2010 (although i hear this is heavy...?)
- Pinarello Lungavita 2010

If anyone has any advice/experience on these i'd really appreciate cos i'm just so unlikely to be able to test ride them!!

Many thanks.

Comments

• stickman
    stickman Posts: 791
    Get the one you like the look of best. I haven't ridden any of them but i'd get the Charge because that's the one I like. I wouldn't want a mechanically perfect bike that didn't look nice.
    Bikes, saddles and stuff

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21720915@N03/
    More stuff:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/65587945@N00/

Gears - Obscuring the goodness of singlespeed
  • Yea maybe i'm thinking about it too much. :?
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    The Charge is pretty chunky - do you want any other features that will help with your commute - like rack and mudguards? 20 miles each way with your work gear and a rucksack will be a right PIN!

If so, look very closely at the Pompino - easy enough to whack a ss freewheel on.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • Xiphon
    Xiphon Posts: 47
    I got a Langster + extras through the C2W scheme, and it's been faultless. Only needed to replace the brake pads once so far...... and had it nearly a year now.

Very comfy, and thanks to the flip/flop hub, you can get used to SS for a while, before switching to fixed... (if you want to...)
  • Not all that fussed about mud guards or rack to be honest. I have a shower at the office anyway.

I've done it for the last 2 weeks on my racing bike and it's working out quite well...the only problem i see with the SS is that I'm going to be really struggling on the days that i'm nakered. Funnily enough TommyEss I'm commuting to Reading!

I think my main indecision lies in the fact that I really like the retro looking bikes, but i'm not 'retro' at all! I don't really want to look like a right plum on a cool, retro looking SS, wearing modern race lycra and carbon shoes, etc, etc... For that reason i'm leaning towards the Felt Dispatch, but the only reviews i can find are for the 2008 version, which i assume has been upgraded a bit since then.

THe other prob is that i know nothing about the SS/fixed components.
  • Xiphon wrote:
    I got a Langster + extras through the C2W scheme, and it's been faultless. Only needed to replace the brake pads once so far...... and had it nearly a year now.

Very comfy, and thanks to the flip/flop hub, you can get used to SS for a while, before switching to fixed... (if you want to...)

Thanks Xiphon. I think i've been avoiding the Langster just because my racing bike is the S-Works, so i'd convinced myself I wanted a change of brand. Having just had a look on the Evans site it's definitely up there with the others now.

More indecision!!
  • TommyEss
    Not all that fussed about mud guards or rack to be honest. I have a shower at the office anyway.

I've done it for the last 2 weeks on my racing bike and it's working out quite well...the only problem i see with the SS is that I'm going to be really struggling on the days that i'm nakered. Funnily enough TommyEss I'm commuting to Reading!

I think my main indecision lies in the fact that I really like the retro looking bikes, but i'm not 'retro' at all! I don't really want to look like a right plum on a cool, retro looking SS, wearing modern race lycra and carbon shoes, etc, etc... For that reason i'm leaning towards the Felt Dispatch, but the only reviews i can find are for the 2008 version, which i assume has been upgraded a bit since then.

THe other prob is that i know nothing about the SS/fixed components.

There's nothing funny about that!!
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    I commute 28 miles a day 3 days a week on SS bikes - NOT fixed as I'm an old codger.

My Charge Plug Racer is great but feels a little 'slack' after 1000 miles and in all honesty is not up to the job long-term. I changed the bars to more conventional Track bars and upgraded the wheels but its done its duty now and I'll be selling it.

My Trek District is a little expensive to buy(£750 now) but I've had mine for a year and its been brilliant. The belt-drive really does work, hasn't shown any wear or other problems, and the frame and fork are beautiful to ride - you really do fly along.

Also just bought the Steel-framed Langster and that rides superbly too. MUCH better than the aforementioned Plug (sorry Charge!) really does fly along and the wheels and saddle are OK too - will just upgrade the tyres to something of better quality.

Hope that helps - byeeeee!
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    my brother has a genesis (day one) and it's a really nice bike, or if you want drops and skinnier tyres then the fler is a good option too

I would get the pinarello - looks nice and has decent quality bits on it
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    actually, I'd get the 2009 ridgeback solo, good frame and forks good components and very good price
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • Fixxxer87
    Fixxxer87 Posts: 45
    +1 to the langster for speed and looks, just don't go for the naff (and expensive) retro red steel version.

It does have it's problems though...

The only thing I'd watch out for with Langsters is the bottom bracket; the Sugino BB isn't particularly good. Mine went after 4 days (and 100 miles), although it's being switched for a Shimano on warranty anyway.

Also, my lock ring keeps coming off on the fixed side but that may be more of a problem with my arms than the hub/thread.

If you're prepared to put up with the (possible) BB faff, it's a good 'un.
    || Commuter: Specialized Langster 2010 [FCN 4] ||| Offroad: Specialized Hardrock Comp 2009 ||
  • Thanks for the advice everyone. Definitely gonna test ride a langster soon.

HAs anyone got any views of the componetry on the Cinelli Bootleg Mystic Rat 2010??

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Cinel ... 360049185/

Thanks.
  • TommyEss
    Looks like a very similar kit level to the Langster - Sugino Messenger and Tektro brakes - Alex rims.

Or in other words, it'd better be a £300 better frame...
  • Fixxxer87
    Fixxxer87 Posts: 45
    £780 seems remarkable for that bike...if you're happy to spend that much, I'd be inclined to suggest a Langster and get some lovely hand built wheels and road pedals.

The Langster also has drop bars, which personally I prefer.
    || Commuter: Specialized Langster 2010 [FCN 4] ||| Offroad: Specialized Hardrock Comp 2009 ||
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    I ride a Gary Fisher Triton, which has been faultless since last summer and only had some rest on the snowiest of days in winter. My commute is much shorter than yours though.

Of the bikes you've listed, the Lungavita is by far the most beautiful IMO.
  • I use a Langster for commuting in summer and a Pompino with guards in winter, which is the most comfortable bike I own.
    I also have a "Sunday Best" Langster that weighs in at 16lb.
    The Langster has a brilliant frame but:
    The BB runs dry in not time, so an immediate regrease from new is essential, and the hubs appear to be made of cream cheese. I have had 2 sets fail on me at low mileage (less than 5000 miles).
    You can source 2nd hand irtems on Flea bay for under £250. I would go for a good one of these that buy better wheels (get a set from Harry Rowland). The old wheels will always sell so you will not be stuck with them.

Whatever you get remember its your choice, so ride whatever you fancy and go with the one that you feel most comfortable with.
    M.R.Johnson
  • Harveytile
    Harveytile Posts: 227
    I have a Pearson Hanzo running FG at the moment. I can't sing its praises enough. Steel, subtle, and tough as old boots. 2000 miles on it and just had to tighten the cranks and tension the chain a few times. Perfect for the 40 mile round trip. Looking forward to seeing what the winter will do to her... :roll:

Pearsons are only in Sutton (Surrey) so might not be that easy to get to for a test ride. If you can get there, they are very helpful and professional. (No I don't work there :oops: )

Just get what you like but think seriously about guards and rack. Others will respect you for the guards in winter and the rack adds FCN value but it's not a race... :lol:
    Beep Beep Richie.

FCN +7 (Hanzo Fixed. Simple - for the commute)
    FCN +10 (Loud and proud PA)
  • _tom_
    _tom_ Posts: 45
    I've just been looking up the Felt District and reviews of its build quality aren't very good.. I'm also considering an SS since I can't afford a good geared road bike, but there's so much choice!

So far my best looking option has been the Langster, gets great reviews pretty much everywhere.