Odd CycleScheme Question!

bannedbiker
bannedbiker Posts: 382
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
Right then, here's an odd question. Got myself a bike through the Halfords scheme last year, all's gone pretty smooth and the bike is now mine.
This year decided to get a voucher again,BUT my company has changed providers from Halfords to CycleScheme. This has caused a bit of confusion and some delays to the process.
My scheme should run from 1st July, come payday this month my salary will be deducted the appropriate amount to cover the hire period 1st - 28th July HOWEVER I'm still waiting for the voucher!
I'm going to be paying for a service I haven't had for 2 of the 4 weeks and still counting!
Where do I stand on trying to recover this cost and who should I shout at? I dont see it being CycleScheme's fault so I guess I gotta have a go at my company?
It's not a huge amount of cash but its the principle of it that bothers me!
Giant Reign - now sold :-(
Rockhopper Pro - XC and commuting
DH8 - New toy :-)

Comments

• Odd, we only start paying once the voucher has been redeemed.
  • Allnut
    Allnut Posts: 4
    I would definately speak to the department in your place of work who has direct responsibility for managing the cycle to work scheme. Hope this is of some help plus it's my first post on these forums.
  • dugliss
    dugliss Posts: 235
    Surely that`s better though as you`ll finish paying for it quicker. When I got mine I got the bike in August but didn`t start paying for it til nearly December!!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    It's not as if you pay £30/month for however long you own the bike.

You pay off the value of the bike in 12 months. So whether you start paying in July or August, you'll pay the same amount.

Unless the company confiscate the bike 12 months after you started paying?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    I suspect I may have made my first payment before I got mine, too. As said, it was just paid off earlier, so no biggie...
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • Yes my company takes the first payment the same week they send out the letter of collection thing.
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    The bike the Goodies rode
    Pogo Stick
    Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I paid into the scheme for about 5 months before I got my bike! Payments started as soon as I received the voucher - not when it was redeemed at the shop.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • bannedbiker
    Rolf F wrote:
    I paid into the scheme for about 5 months before I got my bike! Payments started as soon as I received the voucher - not when it was redeemed at the shop.

Thats the point dude, I haven't recieved the voucher...!

The point of the Tax efficient scheme is that you hire the bike from your company for 12 months, then pay a final payment to transfer ownership after the hire period, it is not a credit scheme. Each monthly payment is supposed to be for the hire of the bike for the month just gone. Why would anyone pay to hire something they dont have?!
    I know I'm just being pedantic, and that i'm getting a bloody good deal, it just pi$$es me off is all!
    My company uses a third party to deal with our "Flex Benefits", I had a woman there tell me that it is standard to wait 8 weeks from the start of the scheme before you even recieve the hire agreement, and that it would then take another week to get the paperwork sorted and the LOC sent out. 9 weeks of paying to hire something you aint got, its just wrong!
  • bannedbiker
    Allnut wrote:
    I would definitely speak to the department in your place of work who has direct responsibility for managing the cycle to work scheme. Hope this is of some help plus it's my first post on these forums.

The department who deals with this is a lone woman who works 2 days a week in Derby, I'm in Plymouth...
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    In my company the scheme starts from 1 October to 30 September, along with our other benefits. First payment is taken at end October whether you have received/redeemed the voucher or not.
  • Allnut
    Allnut wrote:
    I would definitely speak to the department in your place of work who has direct responsibility for managing the cycle to work scheme. Hope this is of some help plus it's my first post on these forums.

The department who deals with this is a lone woman who works 2 days a week in Derby, I'm in Plymouth...

Ok, phone her when she's in work then? sorted!
  • bannedbiker
    Allnut wrote:
    Allnut wrote:

Ok, phone her when she's in work then? sorted!

Really? I never though of that, thanks!
  • Allnut
    You're more than welcome!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I still don't see how it's a problem.

You pay a set amount for 12 months. At the end of the 12 months you stop paying but, as long as you get to keep using the bike, it doesn't matter when you start or stop paying.

Or am I missing something?

It's not like you're paying rent and they've started taking £700/month out of your bank account even though you won't be moving in until September. :?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • teulk
    teulk Posts: 557
    I understand what your saying, effectively your paying for something you dont have - however what others have said is also true, at the end of 12months you finish paying for the bike regardless. Yes of course it would be nice to have the bike before you start paying for it - Ive got a bke via C2W for the past three years, the first two years ( halfords)i had my voucher about 3 weeks before i started paying for it, this year (cycle scheme)i got my voucher about 2 days before i started paying for it.

The only thing i could see happening is that your company would defer your payments until you get the voucher however i dont think that would happen.
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
    Specialized Secteur Elite 2011