Im Gonna Pick A Fight - Who Wants To Join Me ?

2»

Comments

• suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    gb155 wrote:
    We all know someone is is overwight, obese etc who claims they dont eat, workout and still put weight on, hell I work with one such person, they claim to eat 600cals a day and go through punishing 2-4 hour workouts every night, well all know its not true as this person has a BMI that makes them morbidly obese. That is NOT the type of people I want to target with this , its been proven that education (or brainwashing) at an early age helps, so thats target number 1, change peoples mindsets before they become "Too old to change my ways"
    That's what I personally think needs to be done. We need to educate people so they start eating a healthy diet early or rather start feeding their kids a healthy diet early.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    I don't understand what is more complicated about losing weight than calories in < calories out.
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    I don't understand what is more complicated about losing weight than calories in < calories out.

If you have to ask, then you won't understand, there a shed load of pyscological issues that surround obesity that need to be tackled.

On paper, its easy, in reality, for many, its not.

Its the same thing as smoking, or drinking, or drug taking, on paper, stopping is easy, you just stop doing it, but the reality is much different.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Don't really know how to phrase this properly without looking like a troll [I'd prefer not to really...] but heck, I'm going to so apologies up front Gaz and no offence, well done and all that (and I did spnsor your big ride last year too :)]

Evangelising about weight loss is pretty off-putting. I suspect that those who are overweight probably have no desire to be so, and didn't set out to be 24 stone 6 or whatever. Having someone who's been there and come out the other side looking svelte and a shadow of what they were is - I suspect - less than likely to have every lardy in the land leaping to his feet shouting 'Yay - I can do this. Lard Man did, so I can too'.

More likely is that it's more off-putting than encouraging for most, which leads onto the downward spiral of loss of self-worth and all the other things that come with seeing other people doing with ease something that you yourself can't manage for whatever reason.

And the banner headline of "I'm going to pick a fight etc" put me right off this whole thing for some reason.

Anyway. Back to it. Nice knowing you all :)

<hides under nearest desk>
  • danowat
    Your feelings are pretty much in a parallel with mine CiB, its not trolling at all.
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Maybe one answer would be organising something similar to the "Slow Rides for Unfit People" - the fact that that thread is longer than "Girls in Lycra Shorts" suggests the OP struck gold with this idea.

A recent BBC report on Weightwatchers cites a study suggesting that programmes including weight checks, goal-setting and peer support could be effective. The "Slow Rides" ticks the goal-settting and peer support boxes... maybe worth a try?
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525

you're forgetting about the psychological impacts of dieting which often - some would say usually - leads to increased weight in the long-term even if the initial diet is successful.

And I have read scientific research that suggests that a linear relationship between fat accumulated and calories eaten just does not exist. The reference I have to that information though is in a folder in a box and at home. so I might post it later - if i remember - and can find it.

But my main issue with all this is challenging the whole basis of why people diet. I am healthier than most people I know my own age and fitter too. In old age there's evidence that overweight people suffer less poor health than those at "normal" weight and certainly it is now accepted that being underwieght is far more dangerous to health than being overweight.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Did I read that correctly. Overweight people suffer less ill health in later life than those not overweight.

Does that take into account fitness i.e. fit overweight vs unfit normal.
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    suzyb wrote:
    Did I read that correctly. Overweight people suffer less ill health in later life than those not overweight.

Does that take into account fitness i.e. fit overweight vs unfit normal.

you did read that correctly - there's a point where being overwieght actually seems to enhance health. I'll try to look up the details later if anyone's interested.

At my point in life - in middle age - I can find no evidence that a fit adult who is overweight is more likely to suffer health problems than a fit adult at normal weight.
  • danowat
    I've certainly read reports that suggest its more "healthy" to be overweight and fit than normal weight and unfit.

Lets not beat around the bush here, most people diet for purely asthetical reasons.
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    Bartimaeus wrote:
    Maybe one answer would be organising something similar to the "Slow Rides for Unfit People" - the fact that that thread is longer than "Girls in Lycra Shorts" suggests the OP struck gold with this idea.

A recent BBC report on Weightwatchers cites a study suggesting that programmes including weight checks, goal-setting and peer support could be effective. The "Slow Rides" ticks the goal-settting and peer support boxes... maybe worth a try?

Hummm so maybe I could suggest to my local PCT they hire me to take overwight people out cycling, in groups, with meetings both in singles and groups as support, I think we might be onto something here, even if its not cycling, a group workout, hummmm.
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    gb155 wrote:
    Bartimaeus wrote:

Hummm so maybe I could suggest to my local PCT they hire me to take overwight people out cycling, in groups, with meetings both in singles and groups as support, I think we might be onto something here, even if its not cycling, a group workout, hummmm.

Sounds like a good start. I'd imagine you need to get yourself fully kitted out with the right qualifications, so they can prove they are spending their money wisely. I've no idea what the relevant qualifications would be if there are any, but if I was hiring you, I'd want to see something to show you were competent other than just your word (and the website). Any thoughts on crystalising those key points: what made you decide to start changing; what made you stick at it?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • gb155
    rjsterry wrote:
    gb155 wrote:
    Bartimaeus wrote:

Sounds like a good start. I'd imagine you need to get yourself fully kitted out with the right qualifications, so they can prove they are spending their money wisely. I've no idea what the relevant qualifications would be if there are any, but if I was hiring you, I'd want to see something to show you were competent other than just your word (and the website). Any thoughts on crystalising those key points: what made you decide to start changing; what made you stick at it?

Yup, I have been looking into Personal Trainer/Nut qualifications this week.

I changed because I was at rock bottom, I believe that showing people they are at the bottom and whats above them will work, for those that want to change, the reason I stuck at it was down to the fact that I found something I enjoyed/now love, again its about helping people find what THEY enjoy to ensure they stick at it.

• gb155
    Ok, taken a bit of a new direction

http://theamazing39stonecyclist.wordpre ... july-2010/

I am calling that post, round 1 of the fight, its already getting traffic from google, It seems that I am not sure myself what direction is best, so this will be good to see where it takes the fight !

Gaz