Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
and he loves me :D

Friday weather forecast. I travel SW --> NE in the morning
Time Weather Temp Wind Speed Gusts
Day Sunny intervals 20 °C SW 21 mph 41 mph Very Good
Night Partly cloudy 12 °C SW 6 mph Very Good

Of course - this evening I'm cycling into a Thunderstorm, but hey: it's a laff innit? :lol:
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    and he loves me :D

Friday weather forecast. I travel SW --> NE in the morning
    Time Weather Temp Wind Speed Gusts
    Day Sunny intervals 20 °C SW 21 mph 41 mph Very Good
    Night Partly cloudy 12 °C SW 6 mph Very Good

Of course - this evening I'm cycling into a Thunderstorm, but hey: it's a laff innit? :lol:

Cycling in a torrential summer thunderstorm is something everyone should try once. Flash floods, lightning strikes in the field next to yo are particularly 'fun'.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Kieran_Burns
    I've done the Thunderstorm thing before.... riding on the outside of a wet metal frame and being the high point on the flat road is always.... errmmm.... exciting

40 mph tailwinds on the way into work though... and then almost nothing on the way home. It's like a dream :D
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • rjsterry
    You should fit a sail.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    I've done the Thunderstorm thing before.... riding on the outside of a wet metal frame and being the high point on the flat road is always.... errmmm.... exciting

40 mph tailwinds on the way into work though... and then almost nothing on the way home. It's like a dream :D

would lightening earth through rubber tyres?

not that I'm suggesting riding round in Kaiser Bills helmet to try it, coming down with that much oomph it'd probably make the jump from spokes toes, pedals or BB to ground and send you up in a cloud of smoke
  • rjsterry

not that I'm suggesting riding round in Kaiser Bills helmet to try it, coming down with that much oomph it'd probably make the jump from spokes toes, pedals or BB to ground and send you up in a cloud of smoke

I think if there's enough of a voltage for the lightning to jump from the clouds to earth, the 2-3cm from the wheel rim to the ground should be no trouble. The key point is that you are not inside a metal box, but sat on top of a collection of tubes.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Kieran_Burns
    I just having this self-same conversation with the guy I'm showing a new route to this evening.

The sky has just gone VERY dark, the roads are now VERY wet and we're gonna have a riot cycling home :D

I was cycling back one night (last year I think) and could see a thunderstorm heading my way - there were the rumbles of thunder and then suddenly a bolt smacked into the middle of a field right by me :shock:

If I had felt a single pre-bolt tingle I would've been off the bike and heading for the nearest ditch at a rate of knots. As it was - it was one of the most exhilarating rides I'd ever had :D
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • rjsterry
    I just having this self-same conversation with the guy I'm showing a new route to this evening.

The sky has just gone VERY dark, the roads are now VERY wet and we're gonna have a riot cycling home :D

I was cycling back one night (last year I think) and could see a thunderstorm heading my way - there were the rumbles of thunder and then suddenly a bolt smacked into the middle of a field right by me :shock:

If I had felt a single pre-bolt tingle I would've been off the bike and heading for the nearest ditch at a rate of knots. As it was - it was one of the most exhilarating rides I'd ever had :D

Had the same happen to me. I'm not sure :shock: does it justice though.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Kieran_Burns
    afraid-male-afraid-frightened-smiley-emoticon-000293-large.gif

We're getting rumblings and grumblings and the odd visible flash now.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    afraid-male-afraid-frightened-smiley-emoticon-000293-large.gif

We're getting rumblings and grumblings and the odd visible flash now.

I didn't know you were near my house. I must learn to close my blinds before doing those DIY enemas (sorry if anyone's eating whislt reading this)

(Mind you, none of you have met me so for all you know, I may have a body like Adonis after a really good workout)

(I don't, you know)

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    I got soaked on the way home this afternoon. The water that came from my sweaty helmet (easy...) tasted dreadful.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Rain / wind / thunder have all gone.

We have blue skies and no wind :D
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    rjsterry wrote:

I think if there's enough of a voltage for the lightning to jump from the clouds to earth, the 2-3cm from the wheel rim to the ground should be no trouble. The key point is that you are not inside a metal box, but sat on top of a collection of tubes.

fair points all, so much for typing on the hoof with brain on half watts

I was only on about faraday cages t'other day.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    The fact that bike wheels are usually wet in thunderstorms isn't really going to make much difference either.
  • I've still not ridden in heavy rain yet. I wear glasses so I'm not looking forward to it.
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    The bike the Goodies rode
    Pogo Stick
    Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,
  • Kieran_Burns
    Trust me - it really IS fun :D

Although saying that: 1 hr before leaving tonight... the skies clear.

5 mins after getting home: biblical downpour 8)

No satellite signal for an hour or so, and lots of flashes zipping across the sky
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • can't belive you cycled through that thunderstorm, i totally neshed it!

left the bike at work and got the train home, i hate riding when lightning is about.

Awesome skills, maybe i need to mtfu, we will see wha the weather brings tommorow.
    All hail the FSM and his noodly appendage!
  • I've heard of lots of cricketers, ruggerers and footballers getting electrofizzicated but I can't remember hearing about cyclists getting hit by lightning. Are you safer on carbon bikes?
  • Kieran_Burns
    Flaming 'eck :D

Set off down the hill this morning - I felt no wind on my face until I hit 25mph. :shock:

Absolutely FLEW in this morning. Cruising in 7th on stretches where I'd bimble in 5th.You could really tell when you went into the lee of a hill / hedge / building. Speed dropped off instantly. :lol:

When I turned into the business park where I have head South for a 1/4 mile, I felt like I'd hit a big soft brick wall. Gawd I hope it's gone for this evening.

One of the guys who lives to the NE of work and had to cycle into this Hurricane this morning was not very friendly to me when I mentioned how much fun cycling in was... I think my smug grin didn't help :wink:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Yes There Is - And I Do - But Don't Push It, OK?
  • Aguila
    Aguila Posts: 622
    It's playing havock with my peas mind.
  • Kieran_Burns
    If there is a God, then he's taking the pee.... the wind is swinging around to the West (which is great) and then moving back to the South again....
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Kieran_Burns
    Flaming 'eck :shock:

Battled through the wind (not as bad as I thought it was going to be as I picked the more sheltered route and the trees / hedges kept me reasonably covered)

Caught up to a guy on a flat bar just as it started to rain and had a natter as I went past. Next thing: hail, biblical amounts of water and the wind just flattened everything.

I pulled over to to put my rain proof top, only to find Mr flat-bar was getting a sneaky tow :roll: :wink:

Sorted myself out and set off into this incredible downpour, my feet were soaked in seconds and then.... it stopped :shock: The wind died, the sun came out and I started to curse about a complete waste of time stopping.

Get into my home village and catch up with Mr flat bar, and right as I'm about to pass him.

Oh
    Dear
    God

A downpour that made the previous one look like a light summer mist. The road was an inch under water in less than a minute and I was leaving a wake as I cycled - people were diving for cover everywhere and I couldn't see a damn thing in front of me.

Unbelieveable.

and yes I was laughing like a loon :D

Just for the record: The dhb Wickham eVENT jacket is flaming awesome. I was bone dry underneath, even in this stunning downpour. It's back to full price now but i got it when it was on offer at £90. (well it should've been £90 but Wiggle cocked up the order and refunded my postage for returning the wrong item.... £90 :D )

I want more commutes like that one! (on the way home only though,,,,)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • rjsterry
    I obviously did something bad this lunchtime because that was the hardest ride home I've had in years. Nearly got stopped in my tracks heading past Millbank Tower and struggled to keep above 15mph all the way home.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Kieran_Burns
    Just to finish the tale:

checked the Tricross the next morning, thinking I'd have some serious fettling / cleaning / lubing to do.

Quick chain clean and that was it.

I love my bike :D
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X