London - Southend

essex-commuter
essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
Anyone doing the London to Southend this weekend? I'm down for it, leaving about 8.30 I reckon, going there and back (although back will be a more direct and shorter route).

Comments

• holybinch
    holybinch Posts: 417
    I'm in with a mate, departure at 8.
    Will probably meet miss H in Southend though, for a nice return in the car :)
    FCN 4(?) (Commuter - Genesis Croix de Fer)
    FCN 3 (Roadie - Viner Perfecta)

-- Please sponsor me on my London to Paris ride --
    http://www.diabeteschallenge.org.uk/cha ... n_to_paris
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    I'll be doing it - leaving 0700
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    I believe you'll find that's spelt 'Saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahfend'
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    I believe you'll find that's spelt 'Saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahfend'

+1 :D
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • hambones
    hambones Posts: 407
    Doing it again this year with a couple of mates. Aiming for a 7am start as we go there and back. 2 hours 41 to beat from last year.
    Still breathing.....
  • essex-commuter
    hambones wrote:
    2 hours 41 to beat from last year.

That's quite impressive for there and back!
  • chigman
    chigman Posts: 163
    I might just join in the ride as it comes right past my road. :roll: :lol:

I was going to do this ride (next year probably now) but am doing the suffolk coast one instead on 8th Aug. :D

steve
    Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 7.0
    Cube Crossteam Hybrid
  • hambones
    hambones wrote:
    2 hours 41 to beat from last year.

That's quite impressive for there and back!

I just knew someone would post that!! :wink::wink:
    Still breathing.....
  • kona_matt
    kona_matt Posts: 475
    :lol:

yes, i'm in, have a mate doing there and back but i've decided one way is enough. nice leisurely pootle with the missus (and her brand new verenti rhigos) via a few pubs i hope. 9am start but i don't think they're very strict with that.

i must not race, i must not race, i must not race :wink:
    FCN 9 - 2008 Kona Cinder Cone
    FCN 9 - Custom Build On-One 456
    FCN 5 - 2010 Boardman Team Carbon
  • Fixxxer87
    Fixxxer87 Posts: 45
    I'm doing it...although nothing to do with the official organised event, I had planned to do it anyway in complete ignorance that anything else was going on.

7am start from West Hampstead, going for it fixed. (If you see someone stopped on a Langster, looking knackered and putting the freewheel back on, that will be me).
    || Commuter: Specialized Langster 2010 [FCN 4] ||| Offroad: Specialized Hardrock Comp 2009 ||
  • Tony666
    Tony666 Posts: 274
    Hope to be leaving at 7:30.

I have a spare ticket for the train in the morning from southend victoria to stratford if anyone wants it. Bit late notice maybe but you neve know. Drop me a pm
  • kona_matt
    enjoyed that, nice and fresh in the morning then some sun.

some of the BSOs on show were outstanding, i felt so sorry for some of the poor buggers riding them up the hills. my personal favourite was a lady, probably in her late 30s, riding a heavy beast of a squeeky BSO with, get this, SPOKEY DOKEYS!!! haven't seen those for years!
  • Fixxxer87
    The two Bromptons were brave! In the end I couldn't do it fixed because of lock ring issues :( - had to stick with the freewheel instead.

My legs thanked me on some of those long beautiful descents.
    || Commuter: Specialized Langster 2010 [FCN 4] ||| Offroad: Specialized Hardrock Comp 2009 ||
  • hambones
    Really enjoyed it again this year and was grateful for the cloudy conditions first thing. 12 minutes quicker than last year too!

I have nothing but admiration for those riding for whom it was a significant challenge. We were still passing people 35 miles back along the route and some looked in a terrible state and you couldn't see how they were going to finish!
    Still breathing.....
  • essex-commuter
    I had a great day too. Left at 7.30, 2 hrs 37 mins. Didn't stay long at Priory Park, the twat with the microphone was doing my head in! Asked me why the word Light was spelt wrong on my Litespeed, that didn't help.

Great ride home, I was just feeling on form yesterday. 87 mile round trip. Loved it.
  • kona_matt
    oh, just remembered! did you see the guy riding with a dog in a box on the front of his bike?! :D
  • Fixxxer87
    kona_matt wrote:
    oh, just remembered! did you see the guy riding with a dog in a box on the front of his bike?! :D

Yes! I passed him about 1/2 way to Southend (ended up leaving at 9 due to faff with registration). That dog looked pretty happy.
  • kona_matt
    Fixxxer87 wrote:
    kona_matt wrote:

Yes! I passed him about 1/2 way to Southend (ended up leaving at 9 due to faff with registration). That dog looked pretty happy.

he did indeed look very happy
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Fixxxer87 wrote:
    The two Bromptons were brave!

Why? Little wheels? Nothing wrong with those. I've done plenty of big rides (including an another London-Southend) on my Jetstream, plenty of Brommie owners do touring etc.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • holybinch
    holybinch Posts: 417
    Had a blast too, though I really need to get my fitness back.
    Everytime the route went even slightly up after 2 hours (well, 3 from home) I was just dropping like a fly.

More Surrey for me then!
    FCN 4(?) (Commuter - Genesis Croix de Fer)
    FCN 3 (Roadie - Viner Perfecta)

-- Please sponsor me on my London to Paris ride --
    http://www.diabeteschallenge.org.uk/cha ... n_to_paris