improving commuting fitness - anyone use david lloyd

andy83
andy83 Posts: 1,558
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
Ok so contemplating joining david lloyrd with the gf as she wants to get fit and im clocking up loads of miles and my cardio fitness is very good but want to build up upper body and core strength to help improve fitness a little more

I cant motivate myself to do weights at home so thats why thing gym good idea

i know its costly and dont want any views on the cost just if anyone uses it and what they think

it is commuting related as im looking to improve my times :)

Comments

• pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    I used to but then I changed to a proper gym. Tossers try and tie you in with a three month cancellation period as well - wouldn't go near them again.

Somewhere like David Lloyd you're paying for the latest fancy chrome machinery gubbins that looks nice but will achieve far less than a good old fashioned pair of dumbells.

Somewhere like this would be more appropriate:

http://templegym.elephantsneverforget.co.uk/
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    I looked around a David Lloyd once, there were kids everywhere, it was more like a bloody creche...

I joined a Canoe club, costs me £48 per year and I get all the upper body work out I want, they also have a small gym in the club house.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • bunter
    bunter Posts: 327
    kettlebells!
  • andy83
    cheers for views

not quite sure what is meant by kettlebells but still

its more to have it as thing to do as a couple aswell and the racket sports are appealing, i enjoy playing squash.

I think were going to give it a try, pastry boy ive tried a gym like that before but didnt like the atmosphere and get people mocking me as im 6 foot, 14 stone 13 (yes very pleased im at this weight so im not saying 15 lol) and i struggle to lift anyhting remotely heavy although having a broad frame. this is due to a medical condition and also the fact i do weights to tone not bulk.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    If you want to tone up, press ups, tricep dips and that sort of stuff will do the job.

If I join a gym again, it'll be to take the kids swimming, not to use the gym part.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • andy83
    cjcp wrote:
    If you want to tone up, press ups, tricep dips and that sort of stuff will do the job.

If I join a gym again, it'll be to take the kids swimming, not to use the gym part.

Id love to do that, annoyingly i used to be a personal trainer but have a medical condition that seriously effects my joints so i struggle doing weight bareing exercise. especially wrists etc

ill also use the swimming baths and as i say its also something to do as a couple