Forum home Commuter cycling forum The workshop

Road wheels with disc brake mounts - any suggestions

SitoUKSitoUK Posts: 34
edited July 2010 in The workshop
Hi there

I need to replace the rear wheel on my Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra. The original wheel is a Shimano Deore Hub with disc brake mounts and a Cannondale rim. The hubs is completly cheap rubbish and rathr than keep fixing it I thought I should probably get a reasonable rear wheel, preferably with a hub that comes with cartridge bearing. I've done some googleing and the only factory wheels that I can find are the Bontrager SSR Disc wheels at Evans. Other than that there does not seem to be a lot of choice.

Can any of you make a recommendation? Longevity is definitely more important than weight, ideally I'd not spnd more than £150 or so (for the rear wheel only). Please let me know if you can recommend any factory wheels with disc brake mounts or a shop that can make me a decent custom wheel.

Cheers

Lars

Posts

  • nicklousenicklouse Posts: 81,520 Lives Here
    TBH talk to your LBS about a build.

    or look on Merlin or CRC for some builds.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • SitoUKSitoUK Posts: 34
    nicklouse wrote:
    TBH talk to your LBS about a build.

    or look on Merlin or CRC for some builds.

    yeah, neither CRC or Merlin seem to offer road wheels with disc brake mounts in their custom wheel section though, only road wheels with road hubs or MTB wheels with disc brake mounts...
  • nicklousenicklouse Posts: 81,520 Lives Here
    which is why the LBS can be great.

    I am just building my own.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • SitoUKSitoUK Posts: 34
    building my own is unfortunately not an option....I've come across the Mavic Speedcity wheels though, they look great and I've seen some positive reviews...any opinions on those?
  • The RookieThe Rookie Posts: 27,748
    Nick is suggesting you talk to your LBS about a custom build, for example you could get your existing rim put on a new hub.....or indeed any rim put on any hub to your choice.

    Simon
  • jairajjairaj Posts: 3,009
    I remember there was a thread a while back. Someone wanted to do the same as you. use a MTB hub and road rim. Both had the same number of spoke holes etc but CRC said they wouldn't do it.

    Try giving Merlin a call, they can be slow to reply over email but good to talk to on the phone. They are also very experienced and are confident with building even strange requests. Failing that try your LBS.
  • shefbikershefbiker Posts: 255
    i also have a badboy and had the same problem. I did as nick suggested and got the LBS to build me up a DT trekking rim onto an xt disc hub. should be within budget. the DT rim has been great for carrying panniers on a notoriously rough sheffield commute with many more spokes than the standard wheel, which was pants as you say.

    get on to your LBS...
  • grim3urgrim3ur Posts: 46
    The speed citys I'm not too keen on, what if you break a spoke? Nightmare to get replacements and pricy - however, if you don't mind that then they do look nice and will have good bearings.
    However, another thumbs up from me for a custom build, your LBS or I can recommend the wheelroom for wheel builds.
  • SitoUKSitoUK Posts: 34
    Hi again
    well, it is not as easy at it seems to get this particular type of wheel custom-built, for whatever reason, CRC don't do it, Merlin don't do it, Paul Hewitt, who was recommended by Merlin has not come back to me and my local bike dealer don't do it either. They've however made me a good offer for a pair of Speedcity's that they've got on stock and I'll get them. I've only read good things about them and I like the straight-spoke design which should make replacement quite easy. I've also had Mavic hubs on several previous bikes and always found them superb. I never ride the bike with panniers or baggage other than my backpack, so I think the Mavic's will be strong enough for my purposes but we will see, I'll hopefully post a performance report soon ;-)
  • PBoPBo Posts: 2,493
    shefbiker wrote:
    i also have a badboy and had the same problem. I did as nick suggested and got the LBS to build me up a DT trekking rim onto an xt disc hub. should be within budget. the DT rim has been great for carrying panniers on a notoriously rough sheffield commute with many more spokes than the standard wheel, which was pants as you say.

    get on to your LBS...

    sorry to hijack your post lars......

    which LBS did you use Sheffbiker, as i too have road rims/disc hubs. How much?

    cheers

    PBo
  • shefbikershefbiker Posts: 255
    i used butterworths in hillsborough. they built it for about £100 for the DT rim, XT hub, stainless spokes and the build. a good wheel and it's taken a battering on sheffield commuting with full panniers. i understand that DT rims have gone up in price massively since, but give them a call.
  • PBoPBo Posts: 2,493
    shefbiker wrote:
    i used butterworths in hillsborough. they built it for about £100 for the DT rim, XT hub, stainless spokes and the build. a good wheel and it's taken a battering on sheffield commuting with full panniers. i understand that DT rims have gone up in price massively since, but give them a call.

    Thanks. Is that the one on infirmary road, not far from tescos?
    Don't need one just yet but good to know.... Thanks
    Sheffield roads suck....
  • shefbikershefbiker Posts: 255
    no. not that one...

    if we're going for supermarkets as landmarks... it's on the corner of catchbar lane and leppings lane, near netto. just off middlewood road, near shef wednesday...
  • PBoPBo Posts: 2,493
    shefbiker wrote:
    no. not that one...

    if we're going for supermarkets as landmarks... it's on the corner of catchbar lane and leppings lane, near netto. just off middlewood road, near shef wednesday...

    oh yeah - I was thinking of Langsetts.....
    cheers

    Unfortunately as a Grimsby Town fan, I will explode if i get to close to Hillsborough....
Sign In or Register to comment.