swinley forest - recommended route to...

M1llh0use
M1llh0use Posts: 863
edited July 2010 in Routes
take in the best bits?

went up there a few months back but remember bugger all of where we went and the gps wa on the blink.

going again on saturday and have seen the other swinley thread but would like sugestions as to what order to do the trails in....
{insert smartarse comment here}

Comments

• thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    M1llh0use wrote:
    take in the best bits?

went up there a few months back but remember bugger all of where we went and the gps wa on the blink.

going again on saturday and have seen the other swinley thread but would like sugestions as to what order to do the trails in....

It is almost impossible to describe a nice route around Swinley, your best bet is to hook up with a group or just explore and head down all the interesting bits.

I'll try to explain how to get to 'the whole 9 yards', the jump gulley and the labyrinth.

From the lookout go straight up the main fireroad next to go ape, go up this for a while till you get the end of this, and go right on the really wide fireroad, go along this, after a descent on this look for a steep fireroad up to the right, go up this then at a big open triangle type bit, go straight ahead and off to the left there will be a little trail into a dense treelined bit of singletrack, follow this, at the end turn left then right up a hill, go across the fire-road, you will come across a few more till you get to then end with a drain in the middle of the track, thats the end of the whole 9 yards. Go straight across the fireroad and go down the trail off to the right, you will get to the start of the jump gulley, if you do this (I recommend it, its really easy and good practice) After a bit of playing go down the fireroad parallel to the jump gulley and push up the really steep hill, go left at the fence and follow the track up to the right, keep going rightish and gow down a wide track towards a big puddle, this curves left and there weill be a big drop off to the left through some trees. ignore this (or not) and keep going up a big rocky climb. you will see a big triangle of grass, go left and you will see a few trails going down, take any of them, they all end up in a small openish bit in the middle of a foresty bit, there are two trails out (the non uphill ones), one goes onto a fireroad and one goes onto an amazingly long bit of singletrack called the labyrinth, if you hit the fireroad go back and take the other one.

Thats a record for my longest post ever :D As for the rest of the trail... explore...
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    Hard to describe. Best is to either go and explore or just tag along a ride from here. Even people who go a lot have different routes. A few weeks ago I went with some people (including thel33ter) and did the route and it was different to what any of the others usually ride.

I may be there midweek one evening if that helps.
  • pit_jester
    pit_jester Posts: 36
    hold on everyone i have a map
    swinleysingletrack2.jpg
    bit large so here is a link in case it doesnt work
    http://www.calcot.plus.com/swinleysingletrack2.jpg
  • pit_jester
    pit_jester Posts: 36
    in fact second thoughts the image is unusable just use the link

http://www.calcot.plus.com/swinleysingletrack2.jpg