claud butler beast or generic 100 quid ish bike

shorty15
shorty15 Posts: 97
Hi all,
looking at getting my son a new bike, saw the beast 2009 model for 140 quid reduced from 210.
Other bikes are the bsa/triumph atlanta for 100-110 quid, and the falcon raptor, again for 100 quid.
So, is the beast a better bike due to having an alu frame ( as opposed to steel ) and being reduced in price to 140. Or was it overpriced in the first place!!
Thanks

Comments

• bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    I'm afraid I can't comment on any of these bikes - but I thought I'd mention that one of the best investments I've made recently is in a cheap set of digital luggage scales (e.g. these ). I would stongly recommend checking the weights, as well as having your son try them for size.

It is surprising just how heavy kids bikes can be - and certainly when they are young you want to go for light weight. My 8 year old was struggling on a Trek MT60 which we acquired from his cousin... it's a great looking bike with good kit, but when I weighed it I found it was over 29ibs (and more than my Anthem). He's now on an Islabike Beinn 24 - which is just under 23lbs - and it has transformed his enjoyment (seethis).
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • shorty15
    shorty15 Posts: 97
    Ended up buying the bsa from sainsburys for 100 quid delivered!
    Should last him a few years as he doesnt go too mad off road and hes loving the fact its got 18 gears (even though he wont use half of them!)