Evans ride-it sportives

2»

Comments

• prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Just entered the Cannock Chase one, handy, I was looking for a sportive closer to home. Can't get much closer than that!

It'll be my first sportive, should be good for a laugh, might have to do some training :?
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • richred_uk
    richred_uk Posts: 167
    dugliss wrote:
    Hey Rich, well done on that time, you said earlier that you were expecting about 5 hours!! I did it yesterday too, took me just over 4 and a half hours.

And IIRC you were also predicting 5 hours - so well done on coming in 30 mins under that. It was a great introduction to this side of cycling - look forward to doing some more after a bit more training. Did you eat on the way round? I started on my energy bars after about 10 - 15 miles and I think that is what kept me going when I did start to suffer.
  • dugliss
    dugliss Posts: 235
    Did you stop at all Rich? I had some malt loaf with me and the energy bar they gave us at the start and I also had a banana at the feed stop. My total ride time was 4.13 so happy with that, I`d like to get some more miles in and do the Gt Missenden one in Sept and see if I can be a bit quicker. I need to think about my nutrition though as I was really struggling at the end and I`ll have to get a better pair of shorts as my butt was getting really numb in my tesco padded shorts!!
  • outofbreath2
    outofbreath2 Posts: 216
    I had a great ride, my best one yet (out of the 3 I've done anyway). I did it an hour quicker than the last 60miles - mind you this one was 57 miles and I can't remember exactly how long the Chileterns one was. Still they're all about the same I'm sure. Ride time was 4hr 19 and total time was 4 hr 32.

I'm sure my increased, yet still rather inconsistent, training helped.
    I ate far more this time, probably nibbling something every 5 miles or so. Was quite full after the feed station with half a flapjack and half a banana and a top up of energy drink which got diluted as I had some water left. I really noticed a difference. I didn't get off the bike once but I walked up every bleeding hill on the Chilterns one.

They packed in the climbs in the lat 10 miles or so. or was that my imagination.

Loved it! Realy quite confident for the NF Rattler and Blissford Hill now.
  • dugliss
    I noticed that in last 10 miles but thought it was just because my legs had turned to mush!! Looks like we had very similar times then, what time did you start?
  • outofbreath2
    I think it was about 8:50am start for us.

I'm sure hubby said there were 3 climbs in the last 10 - apparently he was keeping it to himself hoping I wouldn't notice and get off to walk. I'll admit there was abit of a battle going on in my head at that point.

Weren't wearing a darkish blue top were you...
  • dugliss
    Yes, was it you and your hubby that I saw on one of the last hills
  • outofbreath2
    Good grief quite possibly. If that was you having a quick quad stretch by the side of the road and mentioning you hadn't seen any cyclists for a while - and then passing us on that leafy lane having a quick bite. I'm the short fat one of the pair. White tops.

Small world, especially when you condense it into 60 miles, but quite a coindicence nonetheless.
  • richred_uk
    richred_uk Posts: 167
    I stopped 3 times all in - for about 3 or 4 mins at the feed station to fill up my water/ nuun bottle. Maybe 30 seconds at the next water stop to refill, and for about a minute at one point near a church where I couldn't figure out if we went straight ahead or turned off left (straight ahead was the answer). My 'puter isn't working, so couldn't track actual time ridden :evil:

It certainly did get hilly towards the end - the Carbone Hill climb is one I've done a couple of times the other way round on a training ride - so I knew I had that to face and was rather daunted!
  • dugliss
    Yes, that was me then. How bizarre. I was certainly glad to see someone whilst stretching as I hadn`t seen any arrows for a while and thought I might have gone the wrong way!!
  • outofbreath2
    richred_uk wrote:
    I- so I knew I had that to face and was rather daunted!

Ignorance was bliss in my case...
  • outofbreath2
    dugliss wrote:
    Yes, that was me then. How bizarre. I was certainly glad to see someone whilst stretching as I hadn`t seen any arrows for a while and thought I might have gone the wrong way!!

You couldn't make it up could you. Well nice to 'meet' you. I'm glad you had a good run round. You really need to keep you eye in for those arrow don't you. Thank goodness for hubby as I was concentrating so hard I missed half of them.
  • dugliss
    Yeah, I kept switching off mentally and then spotting them at the last minute especially the last third as I was getting more and more tired. Well maybe I`ll spot you both at another one
  • holybinch
    holybinch Posts: 417
    Anyone is planning to do this Sunday's?
    I might be working on Saturday, in which case I won't be able to attend (need to build a shed, 3 bikes in the living room makes miss H go bonkers) but if I'm available, I'd defo be in!
    FCN 4(?) (Commuter - Genesis Croix de Fer)
    FCN 3 (Roadie - Viner Perfecta)

-- Please sponsor me on my London to Paris ride --
    http://www.diabeteschallenge.org.uk/cha ... n_to_paris