:( My LBS is closing down

richred_uk
richred_uk Posts: 167
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
Central Cycles in Finchley is closing it's doors sometime in August :(

Lovely little shop, really helpful people will be very sorry to see them go.

If you are in the area, they are clearing stock at 25% off (which I felt guilty about receiving just now).

And more importantly, given that I don't much like my LBS at home (which is a bummer as it's 2 mins from my front door), where in walking distance of Tally Ho Corner is decent at servicing bikes and supplying odds & sods?

Comments

• WesternWay
    WesternWay Posts: 564
    richred_uk wrote:
    Central Cycles in Finchley is closing it's doors sometime in August :(

Lovely little shop, really helpful people will be very sorry to see them go.

If you are in the area, they are clearing stock at 25% off (which I felt guilty about receiving just now).

And more importantly, given that I don't much like my LBS at home (which is a bummer as it's 2 mins from my front door), where in walking distance of Tally Ho Corner is decent at servicing bikes and supplying odds & sods?

Damn, is that the one down the road from Shorter?

Is Bike and Run in East Finchley walkable.... I guess not...

Actually there is another down Ballards Lane isn't there?

George
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    Bike & Run has recently opened up a new shop on the High Street.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    they never mentioned anything to me yesterday.

go to shorter if you want verbal abuse, or go to the cyclestore which is opposite co-op (in friern barnet and about a 10min walk from tally ho) for a proper LBS with polite staff and good service.

Western, central cycles is the one in finchley central almost opposite tesco. Very nice but only does commuter stuff.

Basically just go the Cyclestore, Jay and Ash are two of the nicest people in the industry
  • WesternWay
    spasypaddy wrote:
    they never mentioned anything to me yesterday.

go to shorter if you want verbal abuse, or go to the cyclestore which is opposite co-op (in friern barnet and about a 10min walk from tally ho) for a proper LBS with polite staff and good service.

Western, central cycles is the one in finchley central almost opposite tesco. Very nice but only does commuter stuff.

Basically just go the Cyclestore, Jay and Ash are two of the nicest people in the industry

Ah, I think it was cyclestore I was thinking of.
  • spasypaddy
    the cyclestore are brilliant, i pay jay in beer
    :lol:
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Sorry to hear a LBS closing down.
    Near Tally Ho the only shops I know of are:
    Shorters on Woodhouse Road - I don't get the hatred of it. I took my bike there today, spent a few minutes shooting the breeze. Good service as usual.
    Cycle Store on Friern Barnet Road - I used it once ages ago. Gets a lot of love from WesternWay on here.
    Bike & Run in East Finchley- I've never used it, just had a look around, talked rubbish with them for a bit, used their track pump after a flat and bought a water bottle.
    Halfords in the 'shopping center' on the corner of the North Circ and Colney Hatch Lane - I've never used them for bike maintenance and never will, but handy if you need an inner tube etc.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • spasypaddy
    getting me and westernway confused - imagine me waving my fist at you!
  • EKE_38BPM
    Oops, my bad.

I'm thinking about getting a Shorter framed bike and topping it off with a Shorter team jersey.

Just had a thought, maybe Cafewanda should get a Shorter bike?! I'm so funny!

• dugliss
    dugliss Posts: 235
    I went in the cyclestore today to get some cleats to give the spd`s another go. What an extremely helpful and likeable fella, and he let me have some sh-56 cleats for a tenner whereas shorter wanted £18 and didn`t have any in stock anyway. I`ll definitely use them again, what are they like for servicing?
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Oops, my bad.

I'm thinking about getting a Shorter framed bike and topping it off with a Shorter team jersey.

Wotch it mate :P
  • EKE_38BPM
    Maybe this is perfect for you CW?candy_lo_pro.jpg

• WesternWay
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Oops, my bad.

I am going to go back into Shorter after our conversation on Saturday and give them another go.... That /was/ you wasn't it?
  • WesternWay
    dugliss wrote:
    I went in the cyclestore today to get some cleats to give the spd`s another go. What an extremely helpful and likeable fella, and he let me have some sh-56 cleats for a tenner whereas shorter wanted £18 and didn`t have any in stock anyway. I`ll definitely use them again, what are they like for servicing?

They did a decent job on my Brompton
  • spasypaddy
    dugliss wrote:
    Ash is a legend. i spend quite a bit of time just milling around chatting to everyone there. never buy anything (apart from my wheels) but know them all very well.