Halfords Carrera TdF - purchase?

CiB
CiB Posts: 6,098
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
So, I have a friend whose company are doing the C2W thing for a few weeks, only he has no need of another bike not being a subsciber to Optimum Qty Of Bikes = n+1.

Their scheme runs through Halfords so is quite limiting; he quite fancies buying a bike for his teenage son who at last [praise be] has developed an interest in bikes. Hurrah. The only half decent road bike in there that the lad actually fancies is the Carrera TDF. As it's going for virtually peanuts when the C2W savings are taken into account, what are the peeps views on here about the Carrera models? Advice welcome, which will of course be passed on to those concerned.

Alternative suggestions welcome.

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    The Carrera Vanquish is the one to go for, much better spec.
  • CiB
    Maybe is, but taking well-specced bikes to school isn't the brightest idea tbh. Something above BSO but not too flash is the requirement - the TDF seems to fit the bill.

More concerned about actual - rather than perceived - quality of components, wheels, build etc.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Well, you never mentioned it was for a school commuting bike :?
  • Strikes me as one of those, "for the price" bikes.

Good components, "for the price".
    Quite light, "for the price".
    The Carrera bikes are usually quite well received, "for the price".

It's certainly about the cheapest road bike you'll find with STI shifters.
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    TdF??!!
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • Its not a bad bike, I had the Virtuoso and the TDF is on a par with it.
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    dondare wrote:
    TdF??!!

Turbo diesel... :wink:
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    Halfords can source most bikes - phone the C2W team and they'll tell you what can and can't be had.

Need to check you'll get 'online prices' in store before committing to the voucher.
  • pastryboy wrote:
    Halfords can source most bikes - phone the C2W team and they'll tell you what can and can't be had.

Need to check you'll get 'online prices' in store before committing to the voucher.

My local Halfords has signs up saying they will match all Haflords website prices
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    The bike the Goodies rode
    Pogo Stick
    Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,
  • Fixxxer87
    Fixxxer87 Posts: 45
    The TdF is a superb bike..as UE said, for the price.

I'd recommend it because it's going for peanuts with the C2W scheme and if the son doesn't keep the cycling up too much (lets be honest, it happens and not infrequently) it's no major loss.
    || Commuter: Specialized Langster 2010 [FCN 4] ||| Offroad: Specialized Hardrock Comp 2009 ||
  • aldric
    aldric Posts: 161
    I was going to get the TDF but Halfords appear to only be selling the large frames now...
  • I've got the black and yellow Carrera tdf (with road pro on the side). Mine was £350 when i got it.

I like it - done almost 3500 miles on mine in 9 months so far and had no problems. Replaced the usual things - tyres, pedals, etc. Its not a fancy bike but more of a workhorse and it fits panniers too.

Only trouble is the BB is not enclosed so before long it will need replacing, could be after 1 mile or could be after 1,000 just depends on when the grit gets in.

Well happy with mine.
  • i to have the TDF (with road pro on the side and more curved forks than some of the other ones i've seeen about) and my only complaint is the Bottom Bracket, mine lasted a year with a reasonable mileage and a fair bit of weight in all weathers and was stored outside. And most importantly i enjoy riding it!
    All hail the FSM and his noodly appendage!
  • HebdenBiker
    HebdenBiker Posts: 787
    Is this plan not going against the spirit (and rules?) of the C2W scheme?
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    This is a slight worry - I've been telling everyone here to ge the Boardmans for our CTW scheme...

Chris - you HAVE noticed we're doing the CTW until August 6th?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • CiB
    This is a slight worry - I've been telling everyone here to ge the Boardmans for our CTW scheme...

Sorry Kieran - I did see your same question the other day too but forgot to respond.
    Yes - fully aware but I don't fancy getting one myself. I'm a fan of having a great bike and running it into the ground so that I can chuck it away next spring and buy another bike that's even more unsuitable for commuting on.

As someone else said, the TDF in medium is no longer available.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    The Boardmans are a good choice though?

(I'm tempted to get the Boardman CX)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • CiB wrote:

Sorry Kieran - I did see your same question the other day too but forgot to respond.
    Yes - fully aware but I don't fancy getting one myself. I'm a fan of having a great bike and running it into the ground so that I can chuck it away next spring and buy another bike that's even more unsuitable for commuting on.

As someone else said, the TDF in medium is no longer available.

They have the display model at Wellingborough Halfords
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    Pogo Stick
    Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,
  • Catfish
    Catfish Posts: 141
    Yet again another abuse of the ctw scheme.
  • CiB
    Catfish wrote:
    Quite right too. I'll report him to the police for daring to buy a bike that encourages his boy to cycle to school rather than have him rely on his parents etc.

Or perhaps I'll just ignore such mind-numbingly petty comments and not trouble him with it.

I do wonder how many people who buy a bike on C2W ever get close to riding it to work more than once in a blue moon, let alone ever. But as long as there are folk like you around to moan about it and preach about 'abuse', the world is a better place eh?

:roll:
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    CiB wrote:
    Catfish wrote:
    Quite right too. I'll report him to the police for daring to buy a bike that encourages his boy to cycle to school rather than have him rely on his parents etc.

Or perhaps I'll just ignore such mind-numbingly petty comments and not trouble him with it.

I do wonder how many people who buy a bike on C2W ever get close to riding it to work more than once in a blue moon, let alone ever. But as long as there are folk like you around to moan about it and preach about 'abuse', the world is a better place eh?

First I've been riding my C2W bike to work every day for the last two years

Second abusing the scheme gives Inland Revenue an excuse to stop it and save themselves money in admin costs
  • CiB wrote:
    Catfish wrote:

Second abusing the scheme gives Inland Revenue an excuse to stop it and save themselves money in admin costs

Have to agree with this. If schools can be left to fall apart and policemen can be sacked to save money, a scheme to help people buy bikes could easily be targeted by Westminster and abuse of the system will only make this an easier sell to the public.
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    Pogo Stick
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    CiB wrote:
    Catfish wrote:

Have to agree with this. If schools can be left to fall apart and policemen can be sacked to save money, a scheme to help people buy bikes could easily be targeted by Westminster and abuse of the system will only make this an easier sell to the public.

My God yes - with billions being targetted to be spent on Trident, multi billions going into the blackhole that is public sector pensions, hundreds of millions of school repairs that the last governament quickly signed contracts for before leaving office, tens of millions on ID cards, tens of millions on IT schemes that are years behind schedule - I am sure all 650 MP's are sat around on a Sat night reading the comments of cyclists on a cycling forum. The words bigger fish to fry come to mind - and if the CTW scheme goes it wont be because someone gave their bike to their son it will be because of general cost cutting and closure of as many tax schemes as possible.
    Quite frankly I am glad someone's kid is getting the benefit of a new bike and hope they become a convert to cycling and eventually become someone who cycles to work every day, stays fit, isnt obese and reduces our dependance on oil.
  • mr_poll wrote:
    CiB wrote:
    Catfish wrote:

My God yes - with billions being targetted to be spent on Trident, multi billions going into the blackhole that is public sector pensions, hundreds of millions of school repairs that the last governament quickly signed contracts for before leaving office, tens of millions on ID cards, tens of millions on IT schemes that are years behind schedule - I am sure all 650 MP's are sat around on a Sat night reading the comments of cyclists on a cycling forum. The words bigger fish to fry come to mind - and if the CTW scheme goes it wont be because someone gave their bike to their son it will be because of general cost cutting and closure of as many tax schemes as possible.
    Quite frankly I am glad someone's kid is getting the benefit of a new bike and hope they become a convert to cycling and eventually become someone who cycles to work every day, stays fit, isnt obese and reduces our dependance on oil.

Some pencil pushing civil servant will make the decision and recommend it to the Minister in charge of his department. I Don't think anything will sneak under the radar.

Why should parents be able to abuse the system to get their kids a bike on the cheap?
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    Pogo Stick
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    mr_poll wrote:
    CiB wrote:
    Catfish wrote:

Some pencil pushing civil servant will make the decision and recommend it to the Minister in charge of his department. I Don't think anything will sneak under the radar.

Why should parents be able to abuse the system to get their kids a bike on the cheap?

If you are going to argue the merits of getting a bike to go to work on then you could easily turn your attentions to the amount people are allowed - Do you really need a CAAD 9 with Tiagra groupset to get to work - seems a little overkill to me surely the government could half the amount and limit it to sensible Hybrids. And what else do want to do, have a pencil pushing civil servant at every sportive confiscating every CTW bike that is used for that purpose. And how many end up on ebay after 12 months?
    Think you have to accept that CTW bikes will be used for a variety of purposes which I am sure the government knew about when they launched the scheme - if it increases the number of cyclists, reduces heart disease, reduces the number of cars on the road (inc those taking little johnny to school in the huge Chelsea Tractor) then the tiny amount of tax revenue lost is more than likely worth it.