What's important to you for an excellent Sportive?

Some Sportive events just get it spot on everytime like the Whitehorse Challenge - why do others not just copy what works? :roll:

Comments

• Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    Greed?
  • 1. Incompetence

2. Greed

3. Because they know that there are plenty of muppets who will pay out extortionate entry fees unquestioningly.

4. Let down by third parties at the last moment.

5. Lack of consumer ethos.

• MarkRB
    MarkRB Posts: 18
    Refreshment stations - especially in the heat we have right now. La Grand Bô cyclosportive at Le Grand Bornand had one station on the 95 km route this year....
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    A first rate challenging logical route which showcases the landscape of an interesting area.
    Lots of hills
    Quiet roads
    Good signposting
    A large enough field so that groups form.
    Feedstops at about 25 -30 mile intervals. (As far as I'm concerned I'm not unduly bothered by large quantities and variety at feedstations, as long as I know I can refill my bottles quickly.)
    The best events always seem to have a fast run in at the finish which makes for an exhilarating last hour as your average speed climbs rapidly.
    Sufficient parking at the start/ finish line.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    CLOSED ROADS.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    Good signposting on smaller sportives, especially if I don't know the route. Not bothered about feed stations if less then 60 miles. Parking near the start essential especially on a long ride. I hate the wrist timing tag, much prefer the necklace.

Oh and I hate starts that have a very steep hill immediately at the beginning...yes you Richmond 5 dales :lol:
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    interesting and varied route, preferably a full circuit type, plenty of scenery :D

challenging but not stupidly so

good well stocked feedstops, as and when advertised

well signed, both directional and hazards

well marshalled, and friendly marshalls

good value, ie not overly expensive

event and results and pics delivered as advertsied at point of entry
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    Mountains
    Stunning views
    Good weather
    closed roads, or rolling road block
    Smooth roads with no gravel or broken glass
    Epic climbs and terrifying descents
    A couple of famous Cols?
    Crossing the finishing line in front of those skinny guys with fancy bikes

Oh well, I can dream...
  • jrduquemin
    jrduquemin Posts: 791
    Attractive female cyclists to get a tow from :-D
    2010 Lynskey R230
    2013 Yeti SB66
  • pantsani
    pantsani Posts: 114
    Nickwill wrote:
    A first rate challenging logical route which showcases the landscape of an interesting area.
    Lots of hills
    Quiet roads
    Good signposting
    A large enough field so that groups form.
    Feedstops at about 25 -30 mile intervals. (As far as I'm concerned I'm not unduly bothered by large quantities and variety at feedstations, as long as I know I can refill my bottles quickly.)
    The best events always seem to have a fast run in at the finish which makes for an exhilarating last hour as your average speed climbs rapidly.
    Sufficient parking at the start/ finish line.

+1 Nail hit on head for me
  • Mr Smooth
    Mr Smooth Posts: 70
    To add to Nickwill's list, I'd like

Countdown signs, say 10, 3 and 1 mile to go, as per Dartmoor Classic

Realistic standards based on age/sex - I can dream of getting a gold

A 'well done' at the end, and a certificate or medal is a nice memento.

I'm certainly not fussed about a goody bag with bike cleaning gels in or a free T-shirt - why would I want to advertise someone's ride I've paid to do? I'd much rather have a free drink and cake at the finish. (can't they bring the un-eaten food from the earlier feedstops back to the finish?)
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    First of all efficient registration and starting. I've done two sportives so far this year and both have been spoilt by queues either at registration or the start. I just want to park up, sign on and go.

Then an interesting, challenging, well signed route with well stocked feed stations.

Like Mr Smooth said realistic standards e.g. the gold and silver standards for the Dragon Ride this year were totally ridiculous.