Selkirk CycleOps sportive

manxshred
manxshred Posts: 295
Hi

Has anyone done this route before?
http://www.roadsportives.co.uk/selkirk.php

I am going up to do both the Sportive and the MTB Marathon and I am wondering if I should do the short or long version of the sportive.

Any pointers as to how hard it is would be welcome.

Comments

• manxshred
    So, no-one done this course? Anyone else going up for it?
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I've not done the sportive, but I grew up in Hawick so I know the roads well. Its a fantastic route. None of the hills are particularly steep (nothing like e.g. Lake District climbs), just a bit draggy.
    More problems but still living....
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    Just came across this reckon I'll be up for it, the fifty miler that is. I'm building up to the Tour of Tweeddale in Sept which is run by the Peebles CC . Slightly disturbed that I fit into the "veteran" bracket however. :cry:
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • scapaslow
    scapaslow Posts: 305
    amaferanga wrote:
    I've not done the sportive, but I grew up in Hawick so I know the roads well. Its a fantastic route. None of the hills are particularly steep (nothing like e.g. Lake District climbs), just a bit draggy.

I've not done this route either but it shares many of the same roads with other events that i have done. The main climbs are at the beginning and the end with the latter being reasonably taxing when you are a tired. You should have the wind at your back from Moffat to Selkirk - this can be a hellish stretch into the wind (as always happens on the Radar ride).

A friend of mine did it last year (when it was sponsored by Gore) and enjoyed it.
  • BlueScot
    BlueScot Posts: 68
    I haven't done this Sportive, but I did almost exactly the same route in late May (anti-clockwise starting in Moffat). The roads were so empty it felt like a closed road event. And the surfaces were really good, compared to Glasgow and the Trossachs anyway. I think many of the roads surfaces are new because they have been financed by the logging companies to transport their wood. Nothing particularly steep, just a few long drags. Sadly our day was ruined by my girlfriend's crash on a descent down towards Ettrickbridge from which her wrist is still recovering. Thanks, though, go to a gamekeeper from the Duke of Buccleuch's estate who drove her the 32 miles back to Moffat! I definitely recommend the area for a ride.
  • manxshred
    Thanks, I don't think I will do the long Sportive. My fitness is not quite there. I think the short sportive and the long MTB marathon the next day should do me fine.

Maybe next year...