Folding Commuter bike

scoi
scoi Posts: 103
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
I'm looking to commute through London (4 miles) rather than take the tube. I need a folder to take on the train and am drawn towards the Dahon's as they are full size.

For some reason i am assuming full sized wheels will be easier to handle and a bit quicker, correct me if i'm wrong.

Does anyone have any experience with them or have anything similar that they would recommend. Definately dont want a SS, and want to spend under £500

Comments

• Underscore
    Underscore Posts: 730
    I don't have a folder or take a bike on the train but I was checking out the bike policy on my train line down to London the other day and noticed that, when folders are permitted but other bikes are not, the wheel size has to be no greater than (IIRC) 20".

_
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    Even a 16" wheeled folding bike will be quicker than regular Central London traffic.
    With 20" or smaller wheels you also get much greater maneuverability in tight spots such as in between cars.
    Get one that has decently fast gearing and you will be able to keep up with most commuters.
  • richred_uk
    richred_uk Posts: 167
    First Capital Connect only allow (their term is something like) "fully folding bikes" (like a Brompton) rather than "semi-folding bikes" (like the full sized Dahon's) into the centre of London - they don't enforce this particularly in the outer stations as I come in from Herts to New Barnet with a 'semi folding' Dahon and haven't been questioned about it - but if you were going into the city/ west end I'd check it out.
  • I have a Dahon Jack (2008 model I think) that I commute on daily in Manchester, ~5 miles each way. It's been very reliable, other than a couple of broken spokes in the rear wheel (probably due to me being a bit on the heavier side. I've probably done getting on towards 4000 miles on it now. :D

I have taken it on trains a good few times (visiting relatives etc.) but Northern Rail are very relaxed about bikes on trains, unlike your lot darn sarf.

Folding it up takes about 1 minute: Undo hinge clamp, fold bike in half, undo handlebar and lower seat.

All in all, would recommend.
    Dahon Jack 2008 - FCN 10 - Never been scalped though...
  • WesternWay
    WesternWay Posts: 564
    As many have said, it can be tricky with a "semi folding" bike getting into the centre...

I have a Brompton and whilst it rides very differently from my full size bike it is not unpleasant and can get up to a reasonable lick.
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    If you are travelling at ppeak times then please get a proper folder. Those 26inch folders are pustule on the behind of the commuting public on rush hour trains.
  • I have to agree with Jedster, I wouldn't want to travel with a full-size folder every day on a peak-time, rush-hour train.

A Brompton (bit pricey), or one of the smaller-wheeled (16" or 20") Dahon bikes might be more appropriate.
    Dahon Jack 2008 - FCN 10 - Never been scalped though...
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Agree with the above - it is a pain getting even a 20" Dahon on packed rush hour trains though - if smallness of fold is a major consideration, get a Brompton. However for less than £500, you are limited as to choice. Dahon do a massive range of bikes and many at under £500.

I've probably bigged them up far too many times than is good - but fudges cycle stores as well as being the best place to buy Sram groupsets, also do amazingly competitive prices on Dahons AND also have a wide range of Bromptons in stock. If you have a chance to go to the shop and have a look at the bikes I'd advise it http://www.fudgescyclestore.com/index.php?c=3770 is the website.

A 20" wheeled bike is fine - I love mine (I have 3 - Dahons MuSL and Hon Solo and a Hammerhead) and I normally ride road bikes, but am always pleasantly surprised by how good the Dahon ride is.
  • SamWise1972
    SamWise1972 Posts: 220
    I use a 20" Downtube (see below, I'm on the right)

sd.jpg

And it's as big as I'd go for multi modal commuting. I fold it in half and put it in the vestibule on trains with no bike racks, but on a Pendolino, for instance, it's marginal. I'm seriously considering putting a Brompton on the C2W scheme for this reason, and for ease of carrying into hotel rooms and client premises. Even a 20" folder is a fairly big folded package, and can be unwieldy in a hotel corridor, unwelcome in the offices of a client, and impossible to put on the luggage rack in a busy train. Go small.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    scoi wrote:
    I'm looking to commute through London (4 miles) rather than take the tube. I need a folder to take on the train and am drawn towards the Dahon's as they are full size.

For some reason i am assuming full sized wheels will be easier to handle and a bit quicker, correct me if i'm wrong.

centre of gravity is slightly better on a full wheel bike but 5 minutes and you don't notice. the handling - I get a bit more wheel wobble on my birdy at high speed downhill bits but nothing alarming. through London you'll have no bother. big wheel a bit quicker, not really, its got nothing to do with wheel size, tyre wear however.....
    scoi wrote:
    Does anyone have any experience with them or have anything similar that they would recommend. definitely dont want a SS, and want to spend under £500

you're after a Brompton by the sound of it, the fold size is by far the best, but you'll be looking at second hand to pay less than £500. Good folders cost money
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    you could try this folder :shock:

bendybike01_1677654c.jpg
    FCN = 4
  • andrewc3142
    andrewc3142 Posts: 906
    Bromptons are good, although pricey. I mainly use it for the Eurostar - with the cheaper bag they don't need to be checked in. Great for the summer working in Brugge, etc.

In winter I sometimes use it on the train into London and at peak times wouldn't want to have one of the larger folders.

Prefer to ride in on the road bike, though, it has to be said.

I got the 6 gear with the rear rack. If I did it again, I'd save money and weight and get the 2 or (maybe) the 3 speed. At 735 a bit over your budget, but maybe not by too much.
  • Aguila
    Aguila Posts: 622
    I've just orderred a mezzo i4 and a dahon speed d7 for me and the mrs. We tried a few and must say the brompton was a real disappointment.

Yes it folds a bit smaller than the others but it rides like you are on a circus bike. I did get used to it a bit after a while but the mezzo and dahon were miles better for ride quality. Also much better value.