GPS

StillGoing
StillGoing Posts: 5,211
edited July 2010 in Road beginners
I'l ask here but probably the wrong place.

When I'm heading out the wife always asks how long I'm going to be before she starts worrying. It will depend how the mood takes me when I'm out and what the weather is like so I can't really give her an accurate indication. I could say 4 hours to cover every eventuality but in truth be lying in a ditch with a head injury after ten minutes.

Most of us have smart phones these days with GPS on them. Is there a way of publicising the GPS so to speak so all she has to do is look on Google earth or something to see if I'm still moving and to save me having to stop and mess around making a phone call? I know too fixated to make a phone call is sad.
I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    More problems but still living....
  • Mister W
    Mister W Posts: 791
    I think Google Latitude will do what you want although you might need an Android phone to use it.
  • http://www.endomondo.com

You'll need an iphone or android phone (maybe others), the wife can sit at home and watch your progress.
    If you turn on vocal coaching, then she can even type messages which a computer voice will say to you! Needless to say that was the first thing I turned off!
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    philthy3 wrote:
    Most of us have smart phones these days with GPS on them. Is there a way of publicising the GPS so to speak so all she has to do is look on Google earth or something to see if I'm still moving and to save me having to stop and mess around making a phone call? I know too fixated to make a phone call is sad.
    Enjoying your ride and not wanting to stop every 5 minutes to answer the phone isn't sad.

I think the sad thing is that your wife is so bored, lonely or fearful that she feels the need to call you all the time when you are out.

If she is worried about your safety then you need to forget technological fixes and spend time reassuring her that you know what you are doing and are not going to end up in a ditch somewhere. So what happens if you sort out this GPS thing and you stop to fix a puncture or go in a cafe - the calls would start up again. You need to tackle the insecurities not reinforce them by letting her sit in front of a laptop for 4 hours tracking your every move!

If she is bored or lonely, then there are traditional remedies - doing interesting things and spending time with friends.

I tell you what, why not buy her a bike and get her to come out with you! If you prefer to have some time to yourself, buy her a bike and get her to make some female cycling friends to ride with instead.

I know several couples who cycle together. I also know several women who cycle independently of their partners.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Does she worry every time you go out, or is it just on the bike ? Sounds very claustrophobic to me. I'd look to address the issues rather than getting all gps'd up.

I know using the gps on my phone burns the battery up quite quickly anyway.
  • + 1 for introducing your wife to the joys of cycling. Marriage is obviously built on trust, and I'm sure she trusts you to ride sensibly and stay safe.

I'm assuming that your wife wouldn't be constantly watching you on-screen but rather it's a place for her to look and be reassured if she thinks you should be back, while your fighting against a killer headwind or on an extra long loop (or just lost as I tend to get).

Either that or she just wants to know how long she and the milkman have before you return. :wink:
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Just tell her that if youre not back in an hour to phone the local brothel....that'll freak her out. :D

Then dump her andmarry your bike....far more trustworthy.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • StillGoing
    Yes found Latitude on google maps after I posted the thread. SHould do the trick fine. GPS is always on on the phones anyway and doesn't drain the batteries we've found. (HTC Hero and Touch Pro 2.)

She only gets worried if I'm out cycling as a colleague and very accomplished cyclist was killed just over a year ago when a van hit him from behind. I don't do stops when I'm out as there's bugger all to stop at on my route unless I fancy stopping at a spit and sawdust pub I pass on a hill. Gives me the added energy I need to get up the hill just to get clear of the place. If I get a puncture I'll more than likely ring her and ask her to come and get me. :D
  • The Mechanic
    The Mechanic Posts: 1,277
    I have MotionX GPS version 12.1 on my iPhone. Tested it last night and it does everything you want. I set it up to send an email to Mrs M every 30 mins and it did just that. there are Iphone maps and Google Maps option on the email, just touch the link and up pops an map showing your position. Magic.
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • StillGoing
    HTC with Android and Windos 6.5 OS. Not iphone. (Couldn't bring myself to waste my money. :D )

Google maps and Latitude do the job just fine. SHe can either be updated on her phone or log in on the lap top.
  • StillGoing
    + 1 for introducing your wife to the joys of cycling. Marriage is obviously built on trust, and I'm sure she trusts you to ride sensibly and stay safe.

I'm assuming that your wife wouldn't be constantly watching you on-screen but rather it's a place for her to look and be reassured if she thinks you should be back, while your fighting against a killer headwind or on an extra long loop (or just lost as I tend to get).

Either that or she just wants to know how long she and the milkman have before you return. :wink:

She isn't interested in coming out cycling with me. Yes, she just wants somewhere to go if I'm overdue to be able to see I'm still moving.

But just to be on the safe side I've cancelled the milkman.
  • themightyw
    themightyw Posts: 409
    I found a delightful iPhone app the other day. I think it's called 'Wedding Vows' or something similar. I clicked on it, out of idle curiosity, and the description was about how important trust was in a marriage and how important it was that a loving husband and wife just learnt to TRUST each other, and not to live in doubt.

The helpful app in question then pointed out that the best way of building trust is to have an app installed on both her iphone and yours so that at any moment in time you can phone them up and demand that they confirm they are where they told you they'd be by clicking on the app, which generates an un-forgeable screenshot of a map showing their exact location and emails it to your phone.

It's one of the most beautiful, romantic things I've ever seen.