Etape Bike theft Insurance

MrZ
MrZ Posts: 55
I'm struggling to insure my bike , having left it too late as usual!

Off to France this week and need to cover 3k's worth of bike/gear/box etc

Only option i could find was E and L but they needed 7 days notice to cover a foreign trip. The annual policies like cycleguard come out at an astronomic 600 quid for my (fairly respectable) postcode! My home insurance also isnt an option

Any other ideas gratefully received from any present/previous etapeist's or people who've taken their bike abroad.

cheers

Comments

• FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    What are you worried about? The plane trip or car trip or theft while you're having a pee?

The airline covers it en-route but most top out at around EUR 1000 IIRC.

Most hotels will let you bring it up with you in my experience.

What else could happen?
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • MrZ
    Only worried about air trip - it's worth more than 1k.
    Rest of the time I'll have my eye on it
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    edited July 2010
    You're not going to lose the whole bike during the flight. Even if something gets damaged - and that's a big if - then it's likely just to be a wheel or the frame, not the whole £3k.

Don't worry too much and look forward to the ride :wink:

EDIT - what I forgot to add was that paying £600 for insurance is daft when the total damage is only likely to be under £600. Maybe if the frame gets crushed then it could be more but then I'd suggest you haven't packed the bike properly. Rather than pay the insurance company £300, set aside the cash as a fund to cover any last minute breakages, chance are you'll be fine anyway.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,861
    Kléber wrote:
    You're not going to lose the whole bike during the flight. Even if something gets damaged - and that's a big if - then it's likely just to be a wheel or the frame, not the whole £3k.

great advice - green with envy, I will be at work :(
  • MrZ
    matthew h wrote:
    Kléber wrote:

great advice - green with envy, I will be at work :(

Fair point - apologies! I'm reasonably relaxed(?) and looking forward to it, should be fantastic trip.
    Agreed no use in shelling out loads for a policy, just posted in case anyone knew of any cheaper short term or single trip options. E and L do one but need 7 days notice of foreign trip! Deep breath, sure it will be fine on the plane!
  • Mr Smooth
    Mr Smooth Posts: 70
    Can you change your home contents insurance - maybe not in time for this trip, but for the future? Marks and Spencer covers bikes up to £4k without notification, and over that the premium is reasonable - maybe an extra £50 to cover a bike worth £4800.

How is your bike currently insured - are you sure that won't cover you for overseas trips?
  • MrZ
    Thanks will consider M + S when get back, current insurance no options. Have decided to not bother with theft insurance for the trip, thanks for suggestions