Mongoose Teocali Super bargain

2»

Comments

• cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    My Wife has the Teocali and it is stunning, absolutely zero pedal bob, none not even 1cm, none. This is with platform on the RP23 off.

Descends like a high single pivot frame.

It has massivly increased her speed on both ups and downs.
    She has gone from a nervous redroute rider to somone who races people down technical black rocks.

The only complaint she has was the if you take both hands off the bars to adjust the seat while doing a red down hill you end up in an air ambulance!

She is fine now though =-)
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • neninja
    neninja Posts: 424
    Well decent service from Rutland so far - ordered Monday afternoon and it arrived this afternoon.

First impressions whilst putting it together are good - seems nicely made and a decent finish. The more you look at the spec, the better it seems - the seat post alone retails for £200 normally.

It even came with the Flow rims fitted with Stans yellow tape and 2 bottle of Stans fluid and 2 Stans Olympic valves for immediate tubeless conversion.

The only slight issue was a brake fluid leak from the master cylinders on both brakes. Stopped when they were nipped up.

Can't wait to try it out.
  • neninja
    Thanks for the feedback everyone, much appreciated.
    cavegiant wrote:
    The only complaint she has was the if you take both hands off the bars to adjust the seat while doing a red down hill you end up in an air ambulance!

Good to hear she is ok. I don't think she'll try that trick again.

Sounds like a friends wife who decided to undo the jacket tied round her middle and put it one whilst riding - one fall over the bars later she realised that multi-tasking is indeed a myth.
  • supertwisted
    supertwisted Posts: 565
    neninja - could you do me a favour and give a rough est of the steerer length of the fork?

Pretty sure it will be long enough for my planned 456 build but good to be surer.
    Less internal organs, same supertwisted great taste.
  • neninja
    I'm guessing the steerer is about 180-190mm - the bikes at work so I can't measure it tonight
  • Johnny Napalm
    Johnny Napalm Posts: 1,458
    Considering getting one of these myself. I've been suffering with a knee issue this year, and I finally (kind of) accepted that a full-suss may be required for the rougher stuff to reduce the stress on the knee.

I don't want to sell any of my HT's but it would go towards the cost. However, my superb wife doesn't want me to sell any of my other bikes because she knows how much I love them, but it would mean that I would at least get something to put towards a new buy!.

I must be getting old!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • supertwisted
    supertwisted Posts: 565
    neninja wrote:
    I'm guessing the steerer is about 180-190mm - the bikes at work so I can't measure it tonight

Cheers neninja - much appreciated.
    Less internal organs, same supertwisted great taste.
  • ste_t
    ste_t Posts: 1,599
    Don't suppose anyone can tell me what size seat seat clamp I need for an 08 elite frame? I've bought one to build up, currenty spending my work time shopping for parts, but forgot to measure it before I left this morning. :?

Cheers
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    If it's for seatpost you've just bought off me 31.6mm then the clamp is normally 34.9mm
  • ste_t
    ste_t Posts: 1,599
    Nice one Craig, time for more shopping...
  • teacherman
    teacherman Posts: 454
    having ridden onefor a year, I think they are good compromise bikes - they pedal and climb really well (for a relatively heavy bike) and descend well. Nonsense about them bobbing - that's one thing they don't do if the shock is properly set up!

I loved mine to begin with but just found it a bit uninspiring after a while.

Dunno about the new ones but they are better as dry weather bikes because the bearings aren't the best sealed units around and there's loads of 'em.
    I hate it when people say David Beckham's stupid...its not like anyone ever says: 'Stephen Hawking - he's s**t at football.' Paul Calf
  • neninja
    First 'proper' ride today - went up to Hamsterley are rode the new red section - 'Transmission'.

Well done to the Trailblazers up at Hamsterley - cracking mix of berms, dips, drops and some fast woodland singletrack. We enjoyed it so much we rode straight back up to the top and did it again.

First impressions of the Teocali were very good. It was perfect for this type of riding - controlled, soaked up everything smoothly and flattered my riding somewhat. The Kenda Excavator DTC tyres are quite draggy but the grip from them through the loose shale on the new berms and turns was faultless. They sounded like a squadron of bombers on tarmac though they buzz that loud.

The only slight shock to the system is that I'm used to riding a 24lb Anthem X with a very light wheelset. Usually fly up the hills but but really felt the extra weight of the Teocali (especially the wheels/tyres) on the climbs - made worse by the fact I was keeping up with a mate on a lightweight hardtail.

I'll just have to get stronger.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    teriffic stuff :o

Next port o' call a new wheel set then?
  • neninja
    The flow rims are good and built with DT Comp spokes so all good there but sadly built onto basic and rather lardy Formula hubs

I'll just get on with riding it for now but will probably get some decent hubs at some point.
  • Axleuk
    Axleuk Posts: 81
    This is the very same bike I was going to purchase off ebay from Rutland but it seems to have gone now. They do still have the same model in a small frame though. Will have to rethink my options for the time being.
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Buy it, then get a Santa Cruz Blur LT frame and put the bit on that :D
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • neninja
    Had another decent ride on it today - I think I was harsh on the wheelset before. I think I was expecting miracles from a proper AM/trail wheelset with knobbly trail tyres compared with light xc wheels with hardly treaded tyres. When I rode at a more sensible pace on the climbs they felt good.

Rode some downhill single track through some woods that I've ridden lots on the Anthem X. On the Anthem you have to be selective on your line, on the Teocali it's route 1. It climbed very well back up again too.
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    teacherman wrote:
    having ridden onefor a year, I think they are good compromise bikes - they pedal and climb really well (for a relatively heavy bike) and descend well. Nonsense about them bobbing - that's one thing they don't do if the shock is properly set up!

The suntour epicon on the comp made the bike bob for me, I put a marzocchi roco lo on mine and now it is fantastic if anything it pedals better open than locked out where it used to bob badly. With a good high volume shock and good rear hub w/solid rear axle. the teocali goes over stuff and drops so well.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    neninja wrote:
    cavegiant wrote:

Sounds like a friends wife who decided to undo the jacket tied round her middle and put it one whilst riding - one fall over the bars later she realised that multi-tasking is indeed a myth.

I will tell my wife this, will make her feel better =-)
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • Johnny Napalm
    Johnny Napalm Posts: 1,458
    What's it weigh, Neninja?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • neninja
    I'm not sure - not got proper scales.

It's a fair bit heavier than my Anthem which is around 24lbs in it's current spec.

I'm guessing it's probably about 28-29lbs with pedals (based on the facts it's a lot lighter than my mates RM Slayer 30 which is about 31lbs)