Samuel Sanchez

Abdoujaparov
Abdoujaparov Posts: 642
edited July 2010 in Pro race
So who else was surprised to see Sanchez going where Contador couldn't yesterday and taking Schleck's wheel? He really should have won the stage too, but Schleck played him quite nicely (impressed Schleck managed to keep his wits about him in the heat of the moment, but that's another matter).

There are two crunch stages coming up where descending well could gain you 30s-1min on GC (Madeleine and Port du Bales) so if there's a big selection on those climbs and Sanchez manages to hang in there, he could be laughing.

The Madeleine descent is down the twisty, technical side and the Bales is seriously tricky so a man of his abilities will benefit. He should also do well in the TT so could he podium?

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    He typically suffers when the mountains get higher and longer.

Yesterday probably suited him quite well.

That Schleck beat him in the sprint is more testament to Schleck's form than Sanchez's.
  • Abdoujaparov
    Sanchez certainly had the legs yesterday, but messed up his tactics at the very end. The onus was on Schleck to lead out the sprint with his greater interest in putting time into Contador, but Sanchez just went in front of Schleck rather than either going straight past him or tucking in behind.

Normally you'd have thought Sanchez would suffer in the toughest mountains, but yesterday proved to be tougher than many thought and the final selection showed what a stage for true climbers it turned out to be (because of the heat, the pace set on the ramaz and how close the last two climbs were to each other).

I'm not saying Sanchez will crest the Madeleine or Bales with Contador and Schleck, but he could crest one minute behind them with people like Menchov, Basso and Evans and bridge to Contador and Schleck on the descent while Menchov and Basso in particular spanner around.

The end of the Madeleine descent might be a little far from the finish for big attacks either going up it or coming down, but the Bales is a different kettle of fish.

Can't wait to find out.
  • dave milne
    dave milne Posts: 703
    The Madeleine descent is down the twisty, technical side and the Bales is seriously tricky so a man of his abilities will benefit. He should also do well in the TT so could he podium?

Having done both descents 2 weeks ago I can assure you they are both equally twisty and technical
  • Abdoujaparov
    dave milne wrote:

Having done both descents 2 weeks ago I can assure you they are both equally twisty and technical

Shame Sanchez couldn't bridge though. He took a big gamble yesterday and while he gained time on the contenders for third place, I reckon it didn't really pay off. Still very early days to be going that deep.