High Street Opticians that supply cycling glasses

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
Does anyone know of any?

I got my eyes tested by Vision Express and need a new prescription (chuffed to report my adjusted vision is better than 20/20 :D not so chuffed to report that my aging eyes need vari-focals (shutup) )

Aaanyway - you always get the buy one get one free offers, so I'd like to get a pair of prescription cycling glasses but VE don't do 'em

Does anyone know of a retailer that does?
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    I think you'd be lucky.

Dollond & Aitchison did say that they could do "sports" sunglasses, but they weren't available as a 2 for 1 or similar offer. They also said they couldn't do my prescription.

I've been wearing glasses for 25 years, and I've pretty much settled on Glasses Direct for "normal" glasses, and RX Sports for "sports" sunglasses (James is very, very helpful -- give him call as the website doesn't tell you their full range). Both have very good service, and a larger range of options than the highstreet usually provide -- RX sports made up a stronger prescription than D&A said was "impossible" without any problems.

That said, I've found Specsavers have significantly improved their service, at least in my local branch (Chichester).

Do you actually need the varifocals for cycling?
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    I've had the RX inserts in pairs of Bolle and Briko glasses fitted with presecriptioh lenses by Specsavers.
  • Kieran_Burns
    I've had the RX inserts in pairs of Bolle and Briko glasses fitted with presecriptioh lenses by Specsavers.

Now that's not a bad idea. Give them the plain lens as a template and get 'em to make a prescription version.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I got my precription cycling glasses from VE. Oakleys.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Kieran_Burns
    Whoops!

I meant SpecSavers in my original post - not VE. :oops:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    Asprilla wrote:
    I got my precription cycling glasses from VE. Oakleys.
    Me too. Not cheap though, £300 a pair. They are awesome though, and you get to pretend you're a pro because it's what half the peloton in the TDF have on.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010