Training regime for a would-be Tour rider?

hackop
hackop Posts: 5
edited July 2010 in Pro race
Does anyone know what sort of training a would-be Tour cyclist have to set himself to do in preparation for the race?
How many miles they might do per week?

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    What Adam Hansen said about his training:
    zakeen wrote:
    Its really different depending on where and when they are during the season. Some times id be lucky to train more then 15hours between races from one weekend to another. But sometimes we can have a base block in the middle of the season too, so it can be up to 30hrs in a week. But some days can be a real killer, today for an example I only did 3hr and 26mins and it was:

40min 220watts
    5x8second sprints 3mins recovery - MAX effort
    10min 220watts
    5min time trial all out - I only did 4mins
    30min 220watts
    10mins - (40second/20second) x10 450w/250w
    30mins 220watts

10min:
    1min 350w
    1min 360w
    1min 370w
    1min 380w
    1min 390w
    1min 400w
    1min 410w
    1min 420w
    1min 430w
    1min 440w

30mins 220watts
    5mins (30seconds/30seconds) x 5 450w/300w
    10mins 220watts
    2x8 sec sprints 5 min recovery - Max effort
    10min 220 watts

This killed me thou and I have to do the same tomorrow. the week before I was on Tour Training camp and it ended Friday and then I had 3 days off(1hr on Monday). My next race is ster eletro and I might have a ride of max 5hours before. It changes so much and you cant really know because some races can be so hard and some can be really easy.

I know what I said is not so straight forward, but I just wanted to show examples of how radical it all can be and its not a perfect situation. Some races can be so hard you may need to take 3-4 days off afterwards, some guys ride every day some like to take full rest days, there is no real one system for all.

Feel like I could type for ever and never really answer the question :) hope that helps.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    What thread is the Zakeen post from? I have tried searching but cant find it?
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Erik Zabel was renowned for logging 1000's of Km from January when he rode for Telecom. Of course these guys have a huge base to build from because they were racing in their teens.
    M.Rushton
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    mrc1 wrote:

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... =8&t=73339

Zakeen = Adam Hansen
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Plus don't forget all the racing miles. A lot of rides outside the races can be structured towards specific intensities, so the actual training mileage can be shorter than you imagine. Not that it's low, just lower than you might expect.
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    Surely it'll depend on the type of rider - the difference between the preparation of a sprinter and a yellow jersey contender can't be undermined
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    Read Floyd Landis' book. In it he details the...oh wait, never mind.
  • msw
    msw Posts: 313
    What Adam Hansen said about his training:
    zakeen wrote:
    Its really different depending on where and when they are during the season. Some times id be lucky to train more then 15hours between races from one weekend to another. But sometimes we can have a base block in the middle of the season too, so it can be up to 30hrs in a week. But some days can be a real killer, today for an example I only did 3hr and 26mins and it was:

40min 220watts
    5x8second sprints 3mins recovery - MAX effort
    10min 220watts
    5min time trial all out - I only did 4mins
    30min 220watts
    10mins - (40second/20second) x10 450w/250w
    30mins 220watts

10min:
    1min 350w
    1min 360w
    1min 370w
    1min 380w
    1min 390w
    1min 400w
    1min 410w
    1min 420w
    1min 430w
    1min 440w

30mins 220watts
    5mins (30seconds/30seconds) x 5 450w/300w
    10mins 220watts
    2x8 sec sprints 5 min recovery - Max effort
    10min 220 watts

This killed me thou and I have to do the same tomorrow. the week before I was on Tour Training camp and it ended Friday and then I had 3 days off(1hr on Monday). My next race is ster eletro and I might have a ride of max 5hours before. It changes so much and you cant really know because some races can be so hard and some can be really easy.

I know what I said is not so straight forward, but I just wanted to show examples of how radical it all can be and its not a perfect situation. Some races can be so hard you may need to take 3-4 days off afterwards, some guys ride every day some like to take full rest days, there is no real one system for all.

Feel like I could type for ever and never really answer the question :) hope that helps.

Ouch. This should be reposted every time someone asks "why am I not getting any faster when I ride to work every day AND do a club run at the weekend?".
    "We're not holding up traffic. We are traffic."
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    mrc1 wrote:

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... =8&t=73339

Zakeen = Adam Hansen

Cheers
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1