Government Spending Survey

13»

Comments

• W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    spen666 wrote:
    I was looking this point up before posting, and its frightening how many vehicles are on the road without needing insurance. Pretty much all government and local govt vehicles as well as things like NHS trust vehicles are exempt.

Effectively the Government are self insuring, so you would still get compensation in event of an accident

As can anyone, if they are extremely wealthy.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    W1 wrote:
    spen666 wrote:
    I was looking this point up before posting, and its frightening how many vehicles are on the road without needing insurance. Pretty much all government and local govt vehicles as well as things like NHS trust vehicles are exempt.

Effectively the Government are self insuring, so you would still get compensation in event of an accident

The Government exemption is different from the other one. The Government are exempt it seems from the security requirement
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • W1
    spen666 wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    spen666 wrote:

The Government exemption is different from the other one. The Government are exempt it seems from the security requirement

Interesting - and conerning. They have less money than anyone!
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    W1 wrote:

Well, its ok, we can send the baliffs into No 10 and Chequers if they don't settle the judgement
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    W1 wrote:
    spen666 wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    spen666 wrote:

No - i think the govenrment have many billions - more money than anyone in fact.
  • W1
    Porgy wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    spen666 wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    spen666 wrote:

No - i think the govenrment have many billions - more money than anyone in fact.

And how much debt?!
  • Porgy
    W1 wrote:
    Porgy wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    spen666 wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    spen666 wrote:

And how much debt?!

I've got plenty debt - it's called a mortgage. Doesn't negate the money I have to spend though.
  • W1
    Porgy wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    Porgy wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    spen666 wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    spen666 wrote:

And how much debt?!

I've got plenty debt - it's called a mortgage. Doesn't negate the money I have to spend though.

Well I would want a body who is self-insuring to have assets that outweigh their liabilities.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    W1 wrote:
    Porgy wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    Porgy wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    spen666 wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    spen666 wrote:

And how much debt?!

Well I would want a body who is self-insuring to have assets that outweigh their liabilities.

Indeed.

Does this include the Police?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    Is it not more a case that, with the number of government vehicles, the premiums to ensure all of them would far outweigh the cost of settling the relatively few compensation claims?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • W1
    rjsterry wrote:
    Is it not more a case that, with the number of government vehicles, the premiums to ensure all of them would far outweigh the cost of settling the relatively few compensation claims?

It may well be. It might also be that the government is larger than all the insurance companies!

As usual, Porgy is just being po-faced.
  • Porgy
    edited July 2010
    W1 wrote:
    Porgy wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    Porgy wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    spen666 wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    spen666 wrote:

And how much debt?!

That probably excludes many insurance companies.
  • Porgy
    W1 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

It may well be. It might also be that the government is larger than all the insurance companies!

As usual, Porgy is just being po-faced.

you can't see my face - how is it being po? :?
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    re-cycles wrote:
    lardboy wrote:
    mostly around compulsory insurance/licensing/taxing.

If anyone feels so inclined, or even just fancies a bit of an internet argument with an anti-cycling numpty,
    I'm a cyclist thats in favour of insurance, licensing & taxing!

I'm not going to repeat past comments on tax policy and the problems with enforcing bike taxes.

I've posted on the government's website about licences - fine, but if there's compulsory training for cyclists then this should focus on safe techniques and not car avoidance as currently, and should be reciprocated by public awareness campaigns and training around how to deal with cyclists. They do it for motorbikes (THINK BIKE!!) and HGVs, why not us?

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • W1
    Porgy wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    Porgy wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    Porgy wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    spen666 wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    spen666 wrote:

And how much debt?!

No, it doesn't.
  • W1
    Porgy wrote:

you can't see my face

Small mercies.
  • Porgy
    W1 wrote:
    Porgy wrote:

you can't see my face

Small mercies.

oh god - petty pathetic insult time

fuck off won;t you?
  • Porgy
    W1 wrote:
    Porgy wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    Porgy wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    Porgy wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    spen666 wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    spen666 wrote:

And how much debt?!

No, it doesn't.

oh so the banking sector haven't had to borrow sh*t loads of money lately eh? OK :?
  • secretsam
    davmaggs wrote:
    As Douglas Hurd pointed out moons ago. There are more civil servants nows than at the height of the empire when they were overseeing a 1/3 of the world. What are they all doing?

:lol::lol:

So true.

I was chatting to a friend last night, he's in the armed forces, and despite their being on the brink of running out of money altogether, their whole mess is being redecorated and all the crew-rooms are being fitted with 60" televisions and PS3s. Apparently, the overwhelming feeling is that they'd sooner have body-armour.

LIT - a couple of quick points - firstly, the whole PS3 / plasma thing is daft, but likely it's a different budget from the body armour and can't be vired (transferred) to another budget. And, under the traditional public sector rules, if you don't spend it in year, you lose any underspend AND the budget for next year is cut by the same amount - which may be fine and dandy in principle but leads to short-termism and end of the year spending splurges (sounds like this was a late March thing ie end of financial year???).

Secondly, the MoD has a long and glorious reputation as an enormously inefficient and poorly managed buyer of anything. Don't judge the whole public sector by their example. I've worked both inside the NHS, the civil service and now in the private sector and I can confirm I've seen horrendous waste, inefficiency and mistakes in all 3 areas - the private sector is just as capable as the public sector, in my experience.

Phew, rant over :shock:

• W1
    Porgy wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    Porgy wrote:

you can't see my face

Small mercies.

fark off won;t you?
    if you're as dense as a f*cking mollusc.

I take it back - to say you have a mollusc brain is an insult to molluscs.
  • W1
    Porgy wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    Porgy wrote:

No, it doesn't.

oh so the banking sector haven't had to borrow sh*t loads of money lately eh? OK :?

I think you might be a bit confused.
  • Porgy
    W1 wrote:
    Porgy wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    Porgy wrote:

you can't see my face

Small mercies.

fark off won;t you?

er...you are thick.

I was commenting on the quality of your posts which was that of a small child tbh.

You are commenting on the quality of my face which is outside the scope of an internet site like this - or hadn't you noticed? Probably not as you appear to be very thick.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    5 minutes standing in the corner facing the wall for both of you!
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • W1
    Porgy wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    Porgy wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    Porgy wrote:

you can't see my face

Small mercies.

fark off won;t you?

er...you are thick.

I was commenting on the quality of your posts which was that of a small child tbh.

You are commenting on the quality of my face which is outside the scope of an internet site like this - or hadn't you noticed? Probably not as you appear to be very thick.

I'm commenting on your evident (predictable, and continuing) hypocricy.

I said you were being po-faced. That doesn't require me to see your face, in the same way that you don't need to see me to form the conclusion that I "appear" to be very thick.
  • W1
    rjsterry wrote:
    5 minutes standing in the corner facing the wall for both of you!

Yes miss!
  • Porgy
    W1 wrote:
    Porgy wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    Porgy wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    Porgy wrote:

you can't see my face

Small mercies.

fark off won;t you?

er...you are thick.

I said you were being po-faced. That doesn't require me to see your face, in the same way that you don't need to see me to form the conclusion that I "appear" to be very thick.

it was the "small mercies" comment that I was commenting on and you know it.

And as for being po-faced - that implies you lot are having a laugh a minute riot. Rarely has there been a more tedious set of posts on bike radar - so how am i being po faced? Or is it that you just don;t undertsand what "po faced" means? <- yeah - that'll be it.
  • secretsam
    W1 wrote:
    Porgy wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    Porgy wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    Porgy wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    spen666 wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    spen666 wrote:

I think you'll find it does. No insurer on earth could pay out if there was a claim on every policy. That's why they have clever people called actuaries who work out the risk of a claim - and thus the likelihood of a pay out.

BTW - the government vehicles etc. are all insured - there is a blanket policy across the the departments. And NHS Trusts have a blanket policy - including for ambulances.

And how much debt?!

No, it doesn't.

• W1
    Porgy wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    Porgy wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    Porgy wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    Porgy wrote:

you can't see my face

Small mercies.

fark off won;t you?

er...you are thick.

it was the "small mercies" comment that I was commenting on and you know it.

And as for being po-faced - that implies you lot are having a laugh a minute riot. Rarely has there been a more tedious set of posts on bike radar - so how am i being po faced? Or is it that you just don;t undertsand what "po faced" means? <- yeah - that'll be it.

You were being critical of "petty pathetic" insults so I was illustrating that you are a hypocrite.

One way to describe being po-faced is "humourless" - very clear I know what it means. Very clear it's got nothing to do with seeing your face. Very clear it describes your comment perfectly.

Maybe you don't understand it.

Is that clearer for you, thicky?
  • secretsam
    W1 wrote:
    Porgy wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    Porgy wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    Porgy wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    spen666 wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    spen666 wrote:

I think you'll find it does. No insurer on earth could pay out if there was a claim on every policy. That's why they have clever people called actuaries who work out the risk of a claim - and thus the likelihood of a pay out.

BTW - the government vehicles etc. are all insured - there is a blanket policy across the the departments. And NHS Trusts have a blanket policy - including for ambulances.

And how much debt?!

No, it doesn't.

Yes, it does. There's no way any insurance company could pay out on a claim on every single policy. That's why they employ actuaries to identify the risk of a claim.

And all government vehicles are insured, from bin lorries to ambulances. W1 seems to have a real problem with 'government' as if it was nothing to do with him/her. Perhaps (s)he would like none of the following:
    - Roads
    - Street lights
    - Police/fire/ambulance
    - Defence
    - Law and order/ criminal justice
    - Consumer protection
    - Child protection

To name but a few? If so, then America is meant to be very nice, perhaps you should move.

This discussion has been closed.