Been commuting - want to get serious!

BDFun
BDFun Posts: 67
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi all,

I started cycling to work a couple of months back with a Giant Rock bike that I got second hand off a friend for free (who got it second hand as well).

I'd like to get into cycling more but it's hard to decide what sort of bike I want as I can't quite make up my mind about what I want to use the bike for. I'd like to go faster to and from work, so a road bike seems like the ideal choice. On the side, I'd like to do some off roading (rough, muddy, hilly, etc), and I'd like to enter some off road races.

However I'm a bit limited on money so I can't really buy an off-roading bike and a road bike.

So I have three choices:
- Get a road bike, and change the slicks on my GT Rock to armoured knobblies. Only problem is, I don't know how good the GT Rock bike is for off roading and don't fancy it collapsing into a sharp heap of metal on a ride
- Get a cyclocross bike which will let me be fast on the road and also do offroading. Only issue is, I would have to be swapping tyres constantly, and also I'm not sure how good they are off road.
- Keep my current GT Rock bike as a commuting bike, and get a decent off-roader

I realise this post sounds silly as I'm asking people to help me decide what I want to do, but I think discussing it with some people will help me come to a decision :)

What would you do in my position?

Thanks

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I'd inevitably end up with both, infact I have still have a 'do it all' hard tail sitting in a garage doing very little, tucked up next to the full suspension off roader :lol:

I'd say that a CX is not the way if you want to do any kind of single track/proper off road riding.
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    BDFun wrote:
    - Keep my current GT Rock bike as a commuting bike, and get a decent off-roader

That's what I'd do if I was in your position... :wink:

To be honest I don't know what a Rock is but if it's a hybrid it won't last long off-road unless you're just doing tow-paths etc.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Do you mean Giant Rock, rather than GT?
  • BDFun
    Sorry, I meant Giant Rock :) Corrected in the OP
  • supersonic
    The Rock is an entry level MTB, and to be honest, is a bit weighty. Will handle some mild to moderate off roading, but I wouldn't want to ride it too hard.

I would buy another MTB if you want to race off road. Will be lighter anyway, and fine for short commutes.
  • dugliss
    dugliss Posts: 235
    I`ve got a Giant Rock too, it is a bit weighty but find it rolls really well with schwalbe city jets on. I use it with a crossbar saddle to pick up my son from school every day, don`t think you`d want to give it too much punishment off road though
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    supersonic wrote:
    I would buy another MTB if you want to race off road. Will be lighter anyway, and fine for short commutes.

If you want to race off road, I would do this, too.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • BDFun
    Thanks for the advice so far :)

Don't know if the following questions are worth posting in the MTB Buying/Beginners sub-forum.

Ok so I'm leaning towards getting a good off-roading bike. Im a complete novice when it comes to bikes and I feel a bit overwhelmed with all the things I need to look out for.

Could someone give some advice as to the things I need to avoid/want in a MTB? I'm probably going to go to a local biking shop, Evans (In reading). It would be appreciated if someone could pick a few bikes for me: http://www.evanscycles.com/categories/c ... er_page=20

For off-roading do people tend to use studded pedals and any comfortable shoe, or go clipless? How much travel would I want to expect from the front suspension?

I have a budget of around 600-800. I also need to buy additional gear with that, such as tyres (if not kevlar lined), pedals, and probably shoes.

Thanks
  • Sirius631
    Sirius631 Posts: 991
    Whatever you buy, you could get a good set of second hand wheels to carry either the on-road or off-road tyres. Changing wheels is easier than constantly changing tyres.

Personally, I'd go for the cyclo-cross option as it will perform much better as a commuter bike and an on-road fun bike. The off-road experience will be different.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    What kind of trails are you planning on doing?
    For instance you can be in the forests of Afan in a couple of hours on the M4 for some intense single track action.

How often do you plan to ride?
    I ride my roadie nearly every day, 150+ miles per week. I use my full suspension bike 2-3 times per year down in Afan.

What I've come to quickly realise is, don't buy a mountain bike, it would be cheaper to rent but if your main aim is to race off-road then priority goes to getting a light hard tail or maybe a 2nd hand full suss.

I'd start with studded pedals and look for bikes that have hydraulic brakes.
  • RossMu
    RossMu Posts: 59
    I might just be playing devils advocate here, but I would keep the Giant Rock for off-road, then get a proper road bike for the commute/any road stuff you want to do.

This means that you have a bike for either purpose at minimum cost.
  • dugliss
    dugliss Posts: 235
    RossMu wrote:
    I might just be playing devils advocate here, but I would keep the Giant Rock for off-road, then get a proper road bike for the commute/any road stuff you want to do.

This means that you have a bike for either purpose at minimum cost.

I don`t think the Giant would be up to it, it`s not much better than a bso to be honest but is fine with slicks on the road
  • supersonic
    Giant would only be useful for racing in the fun category - is rather heavy, and no damping in the fork. Also limited gear range.

800 quid will buy you a race ready hardtail such as the Boardman Team. And as before, will be fine on the road for short commutes. or even longer if you are fit. Tyre swapping takes 5 mins if you want to do that.

Looking through Evans, the Kona Kula is a classic XC hardtail:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/kon ... e-ec017222

Halfords do offer better value though.